Does A Bishop Have To Celebrate Mass According to the Pontifical Rubrics?

Hello. :) Let's say a bishop wanted to celebrate according to the 1962 Missal. Does he have to follow pontifical rubrics (such as vesting at the altar), or can he celebrate according to the rubrics an ordinary priest would use?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

Bishops have their own rubrics. It is not licit for them to do a "Missa Cantata" after the manner of a simple priest, and I'm pretty sure this applies even to Low Mass (though the rubrics would be simpler).

If you know a bishop who wants to learn the traditional rite but feels overwhelmed by the Pontifical rubrics, tell him not to lose heart. He can always start out by "assisting at the throne" (with another priest celebrating) -- this is totally licit -- and observe.

The Ceremonial of Bishops says that bishops are not obliged to celebrate every Mass with pontificals. This certainly applies in the Ordinary Form. I am less conversant with the Extraordinary Form. I would venture to say that I think it may be possible for bishops to celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form without pontificals. Prior to Vatican II I should think bishops didn't celebrate their daily Mass as a Pontifical Mass.

In the Usus Antiquior, there are rubrics for a “Pontifical Low Mass” which really do not differ much from one said by a priest except for the vesting routine and the fact that there should be two servers (who need not necessarily be priests), among a few other minor details. See Fortescue.

The Instruction Inter Oecumenici of 1964 allows a bishop to celebrate a Missa Cantata when necessary.

[quote="malphono, post:4, topic:340528"]
The Instruction Inter Oecumenici of 1964 allows a bishop to celebrate a Missa Cantata when necessary.

[/quote]

Yes, however, all post-1962 provisions for Mass according to the Missal of John XXIII, except for those few ordered by Benedict XVI, are null per SP. So a bishop can not, in the EF, celebrate a Missa Cantata. I'm pretty sure =p.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:340528"]
Yes, however, all post-1962 provisions for Mass according to the Missal of John XXIII, except for those few ordered by Benedict XVI, are null per SP. So a bishop can not, in the EF, celebrate a Missa Cantata. I'm pretty sure =p.

[/quote]

That Instruction set the stage for the so-called "Interim Missal of 1965" but In fact the editio typica of 1962 was still in effect, unamended. Admittedly it's not the idea (and even the wording of the Instruction suggests it's not to be considered a "normal" practice, but only "when necessary") but, considering that a number of bishops (plus at least one Cardinal that I know of) do or have done it, I'd say it's arguable.

[quote="malphono, post:6, topic:340528"]
That Instruction set the stage for the so-called "Interim Missal of 1965" but In fact the editio typica of 1962 was still in effect, unamended. Admittedly it's not the idea (and even the wording of the Instruction suggests it's not to be considered a "normal" practice, but only "when necessary") but, considering that a number of bishops (plus at least one Cardinal that I know of) do or have done it, I'd say it's arguable.

[/quote]

I see. Well, I concede then; however, I doubt it will ever happen in practice going into the future. It seems to go against the spirit of EF communities to want to do so.

Seems like a question for a EF/Summorum Pontificum question for an expert in that field. Maybe Fr. Z?

That being said, I know that a bishop can celebrate a Missa Lecta (that's what the purple biretta's for), and it's not too far off from the regular Missa Lecta, save for some changes in the dialogue and lavabo (I think).

[quote="L_Marshall, post:8, topic:340528"]
Maybe Fr. Z?

[/quote]

I found this blog post in which Fr. Z writes:

Bishops don’t, or shouldn’t, say Low Mass in the manner of a priest. They have their own ceremonial to observe. For example, they are accompanied by their secretaries and they vest at the altar.

The underlying idea behind the different and more solemn Pontifical Low Mass seems to be theological. They act for the diocese and the larger Church when they say Mass in a difference way than a priest would.

Still, this is only a blog and he doesn't cite any sources. I would look for something more authoritative for a definitive answer. Glancing through the 1960 rubrics I didn't see anything specific, but it might be there--or somewhere else.

[quote="malphono, post:4, topic:340528"]
In the Usus Antiquior, there are rubrics for a "Pontifical Low Mass" which really do not differ much from one said by a priest except for the vesting routine and the fact that there should be two servers (who need not necessarily be priests), among a few other minor details. See Fortescue.

[/quote]

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of a Pontifical Low Mass. Of the pre-Vatican II Missals I possess the one with the most diverse forms of Mass contains the Low Mass and Solemn Mass including in the forms for Masses of the Dead. Mind you there's probably no need for a "people's" Missal to contain a Pontifical Low Mass.

[quote="Ad_Orientem, post:9, topic:340528"]
I found this blog post in which Fr. Z writes:

Bishops don’t, or shouldn’t, say Low Mass in the manner of a priest. They have their own ceremonial to observe. For example, they are accompanied by their secretaries and they vest at the altar.

The underlying idea behind the different and more solemn Pontifical Low Mass seems to be theological. They act for the diocese and the larger Church when they say Mass in a difference way than a priest would.

Still, this is only a blog and he doesn't cite any sources. I would look for something more authoritative for a definitive answer. Glancing through the 1960 rubrics I didn't see anything specific, but it might be there--or somewhere else.

[/quote]

There are minor differences. Here are the changes for a Low Mass celebrated by a bishop in simple form.
romanitaspress.com/rubrics_guides/low_mass_for_a_bishop_rev_1-23-2011.pdf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.