Does a Catholic magazine have the right to publish whatever it wants?

I have a question that I'm not sure how to answer. This statement was posed to me about a catholic lay magazine author (at commonweal magazine)... "She has just as much right to speak out as any of the priests, cardinals, or bishops on any issue. And, she did it in a Catholic publication and any Catholic bishop, cardinal, or priest is perfectly capable of speaking out on this issue and correcting her if they feel so threatened..” This is a magazine that promotes itself as catholic...

My thoughts were a "yes and no" and was thinking of talking about rights and responsibilities but wasn't really sure how to approach it after that...
Do you think that would be a legit approach?
If so, I'm not even sure how to elaborate on it from there...

My brain's on overload on this one... Aaargh!!
I've posted a link to the actual article...

commonwealmagazine.org/simplifying-sex

JTT it seems you cannot get a "handle" on the owners of this magazine.

Yes, it is Catholic in the sense that it is run by Catholic lay people and aimed at Catholics.

That does not mean it is an official organ of the Catholic Church and therefore it can do and say whatever it likes as can any secular magazine. Obviously it will be influenced by the the level of Catholic maturity/style of its managers. Clearly that will be different from that of a celibate clergy and they will see the clergy differently from how the clergy see themselves.

If you don't like it don't read it :o.

Many self described Catholics openly disagree with Catholic teaching. They have the civil right to do so but not the moral right. Look at the disobedient bishops, the liberal religious orders with no vocations, the formerly Catholic colleges. Pope Benedict has spent the last forty years at least fighting for orthodoxy.

[quote="PaulfromIowa, post:3, topic:314648"]
Many self described Catholics openly disagree with Catholic teaching. They have the civil right to do so but not the moral right. Look at the disobedient bishops, the liberal religious orders with no vocations, the formerly Catholic colleges. Pope Benedict has spent the last forty years at least fighting for orthodoxy.

[/quote]

And that is exactly the rub.

So the real difficultly you may be facing is how to react in the real world where people are physically free to do what you regard as immoral?

The answer is the same, we kindly voice our objections and continue to charitably accept/absorb the suffering they impose on us if we are powerless to do anything about it.

That seems to be the case here. No different from staying loyal to difficult family members for the sake of Christ, the children etc.

(I do not comment on any particular person or publication..the below are general)

A few bits from Canon Law :

Can. 209 §1. The Christian faithful, even in their own manner of acting, are always obliged to maintain communion with the Church.

§2. With great diligence they are to fulfill the duties which they owe to the universal Church and the particular church to which they belong according to the prescripts of the law.

Can. 212 §1. Conscious of their own responsibility, the Christian faithful are bound to follow with Christian obedience those things which the sacred pastors, inasmuch as they represent Christ, declare as teachers of the faith or establish as rulers of the Church.

§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.

§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.

Can. 831 §1. Except for a just and reasonable cause, the Christian faithful are not to write anything for newspapers, magazines, or periodicals which are accustomed to attack openly the Catholic religion or good morals; clerics and members of religious institutes, however, are to do so only with the permission of the local ordinary.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__PU.HTM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.