Does a converting catholic have to attend holy days.?

Hi does a converting catholic have to attend holy days of obligation ? If not would it be advised anyway ?
Thanks chuck

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:295326"]
Hi does a converting catholic have to attend holy days of obligation ? If not would it be advised anyway ?
Thanks chuck

[/quote]

If you have not been received into the Church you are not bound by her Laws. That means in your circumstance Holy Days of Obligation do not apply because you are not yet Catholic.

However I would advise you to attend Mass as if you were Catholic (without receiving the Most Holy Sacrament) whether that be the minimal attendance (HDO + Sundays) or daily is up to you!

Not required too but it won't hurt you if you did and gets you into the habit of attending when your are Catholic.

A catechumen who has been through the Rite of Acceptance or a candidate who has been through the Rite of Welcoming should attend Mass and participate in the liturgy and obligations in the same way a Catholic does-- fast, abstinence, obligations, etc.-- as preparation for full participation in the life of the Church. Although **not **under the **obligation **as a Catholic is until in full communion with the Church, one should strive to live the Catholic life before that point in time.

Before these Rites, one is an inquirer. After these Rites, one has formally entered the process to become a Catholic and, for example, would be able to have a Catholic funeral were they to die prior to their completion of RCIA.

You, however, are a minor under the direction of your parents. If I remember correctly, your parents are somewhat hostile to the faith and your conversion. If they tell you that you cannot go, or you are not able to reasonably get there on your own, you do NOT have an obligation and you are not sinning in any way if you do not attend today’s Holy Day Mass.

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:295326"]
Thanks chuck

[/quote]

You're making it sound like a dentist's appointment or something.

If you're thinking of converting to the Catholic Church and you're not willing to at least show up on holy days, you may have a serious problem with converting that you're not recognizing in yourself.

I suggest you think long and hard about this. If/when you convert to the Catholic faith, there are some basic requirements and expectations. Showing up for holy days is one of them. If as a convert-to-be, you're not very pleased to show up every Sunday and on the holy days, then you have a problem if you're not posting from a foxhole or a hospital bed. Mass attendance is very important.

PS. I'm a convert too. I know what I'm talking about. If you become Catholic, it's not an experiment or a "phase." This is the rest of your life we're talking about here.

I am a convert; from 1985.

I can't attend today because I have 18 hours of a 48 hour shift left to go. I work on an ambulance.

It's not a 'have to' thing; to me, it's a privilege. I miss not being able to go today. :(

Just because it may not be an obligation at this time - if you are converting why would you stay away?

I am starting RCIA in September and I went down to today's Mass. I also attend nearly every Sunday and usually a Mass or two during the week. As I intend to be a Catholic, I aim to live as one (not always successfully lol). To me this means trying to improve myself morally and spiritually and also obeying the laws of the Church eg Friday penance, Mass attendance on Sunday or Saturday vigil, attendance on days of obligation. I did miss the Holy Day of Obligation on 29th June though; I hadn't realised it was one and only found out yesterday when I did a search on the UK Days of Obligation.

[quote="SilverCamellia, post:8, topic:295326"]
I am starting RCIA in September and I went down to today's Mass. I also attend nearly every Sunday and usually a Mass or two during the week. As I intend to be a Catholic, I aim to live as one (not always successfully lol). To me this means trying to improve myself morally and spiritually and also obeying the laws of the Church eg Friday penance, Mass attendance on Sunday or Saturday vigil, attendance on days of obligation. I did miss the Holy Day of Obligation on 29th June though; I hadn't realised it was one and only found out yesterday when I did a search on the UK Days of Obligation.

[/quote]

Nice to meet you, SilverCamellia. Pretty screen name.

What you describe sounds about right. :thumbsup:

About missing one? It happens sometimes inadvertently. Just mention it to your confessor when the time comes, and keep going straight and true. God bless you!

Hi all thanks for your response , yes I did go to holy mass , just got back !
Thanks again chuck

Even before I started formal instruction, I was so excited about Catholicism that I tried to live my life as a Catholic. I was attended mass 4-5x a week, I ended a relationship which would have been dangerous to my budding faith and I attended mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I behaved as a Catholic because that is what I wanted to be and I already saw myself as a Catholic.

So are you under the obligation? No. Should you? I’ll let you answer that.

P.S. if you can’t because you’re a minor, that’s understandable. :)

I want to add that living as if you were already Catholic is also a good way for you to discern is Catholicism is for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.