Does a divorced non-Catholic need an annulment before marrying a Catholic?

Hello,

I am a divorced Catholic who received an annulment for my first (and only) marriage. I have begun dating an unbaptized, non-Catholic divorced women who was married once, in a civil ceremony. She is planning to be baptized in the near future and exploring Christian faiths, but likely will not become Catholic, at least for the time being. I wish to remain in good standing with the Church if/when I were ever to remarry and be able to participate in all the Sacraments of the Church, most notibly the Eucharist.

Does my new dating interest need to receive an annulment for us to be married in the Church? If so, she has expressed that it is not likely she will choose to go through that process, and it thus would be best for both of us to end our dating relationship at this time.

Thanks,
Steve

The following link should give you some guidance on the issue of Catholics marrying divorced non-Catholics. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What are options when my non-Catholic fiance doesn’t want to seek annulment?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.