Does a valid Protestant baptism wash away sins?

If an non-Christian decides to convert to a Protestant denomination and is baptized for the first time in his or her life in a way that is considered valid by the Catholic Church, are that person’s sins washed away?

Yes, that is why Protestants do not need rebaptism should they enter the Church.

ICXC NIKA

Yes, all sins up to that point and the original sin.

After that he/she has to go for Confession for mortal sins committed to be in a continual state of grace. :wink:

There is no “Protestant Baptism” - there is only “Trinitarian Baptism” as defined by Jesus for how his sent disciples were to add people to citizenship in his Kingdom, granting to them all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of that new citizenship, new birth, and at that moment the Holy Spirit also came as God dwelling in his temple to that person’s being.

When protestants baptize a convert, they are acting from their “Catholic” identity which they received in their own baptism. They are perhaps also then teaching this new “Catholic” to think things that are contrary to the catholic faith, but the newly baptized and the baptizer are “Catholics who think in protest against their Catholic being which they have received by their baptism”. All the Baptized are Catholic, members of the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church, like it or not. They are Catholic but do not know it, and we want them back completely.

I think that it is very difficult to commit a mortal sin.

Not really there are those who have spiritual death of their soul because they’ve followed that slippery slope that leads them away from God… Continued sin leads to the spiritual death of the soul, especially the sin of unbelief. That’s why we need to be continually nourished by the Word and the Body and Blood of Christ and make Jesus Our Own… There are many falling astray who lack faith because they rather follow their will instead of Gods will for them…Something we learn from Jesus that we ought not to do.

The seven deadly sins are:

Pride is excessive belief in one’s own abilities, that interferes with the individual’s recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others’ traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

However, keep in mind, the seven “deadly” sins, are not in themselves Mortal Sins. You may argue that they address grave matters, but it is not necessarily a Mortal Sin.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

This piece by Jimmy Akin is worth reading.

Amen brother!:thumbsup:

Yes but what I said was 'continued sin leads to the spiritual death of the soul"… ‘Continued sin’ being the key words here… I do know what mortal sin is and I also know that sin spreads like wildfire. We’re supposed to become more holy in our heavenly goal and not going the other way where people become apathetic and lose their direction… And there is a problem in our world with that where people are turning away from faith which is why I brought it up. The only unforgivable sin is the sin against the Holy Spirit where one loses faith because they are caught up in their ways and not the ways of God.

in the EO church it would mean nothing.

Can you elaborate? Help me understand what you mean. :slight_smile:

Yes, in the sense of the one, holy, catholic - meaning universal church. In fact, when I first joined the Lutheran Church we did say those exact words in our Apostles Creed. Not sure when it changed but now we say the “Holy Christian Church.”

Hi, Rita.

So, three of the four marks of the Church, as confessed in the creed for many, many centuries, are somehow no longer meaningful to Lutherans? You no longer believe that the Church must be “one” or “catholic” (universal) or apostolic? Sorry, but IMO this should be called the “Lutheran Creed” rather than the “Apostles Creed”. However, I guess the question needs to be asked: Is this only in the LCMS or is this across the board?

I don’t agree with everything in your post. With that said, it’s really beyond a label of Catholic or Protestant, it’s about serving Christ and trying to do the right thing every single day.

Not necessarily. That depends on the state of one receiving. Once can receive valid baptism (meaning their baptism “counts” and they are not to be rebaptized), but they might still not receive the remission of their sins if there is any obstacle in them to God’s grace. For instance, someone who doesn’t believe in God or the remission of sins might receive a valid baptism, but they do not have any grace due to their unbelief. This is the distinction between the “character” of baptism (the “indelible mark” baptism leaves on the soul), and the grace received in baptism (remission of sins and sanctifying grace). This is true Catholic or Protestant. But God knows the heart.

We say in the Apostle’s Creed, “I believe in… the holy Catholic Church,” so, by your reasoning, we Catholics also leave out two of the four marks. You are conflating the Apsotles Creed with the so-called Nicene Creed.

Of course. The “baptism” would mean nothing because it is not recognized as valid.
St Basil the Great, and by the Sixth Ecumenical Council, established the principle that outside the Holy Orthodox Church there is no valid baptism. On a side note, this is interesting because it is the same council that declared one of the Popes to be a heretic.

Just curious. How is baptism done that is valid? Thanks.

Roman Catholic baptisms done by immersion are usually considered valid, but not much else. This is not to say though that some “branches” are willing and have by passed this and allowed non-Catholic baptism to be recognized as valid. I have heard this happens in the Orthodox Church of America.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.