Does abortion save millions from hell?

A thought experiment:

Let’s agree for the sake of this experiment that the truth lies between those who say nearly everybody goes to hell and those who say nobody or almost nobody goes there.

Therefore, for the purposes of this experiment we will assume 50% of people who die past the age of reason go to hell.

And let’s assume that unbaptised children who die do not go to hell, including unbaptised unborn children.

And let’s agree there are 100 million abortions each year.

50 million of those humans would have gone to hell. But as a result of the abortions, all go to heaven.

So that’s 50 million people assured of eternal bliss who would otherwise be damned.

Abortion, on the face of it, saves millions from hell.

I am not here trying to argue that the means (abortion) is a good thing. But is the outcome not better than had the abortions not taken place?

1 Like

Without repentance, it sends millions to hell.

13 Likes

I got this from Ask a Catholic:

The important thing is to die in the state of grace. While those who die early would therefore not have had the opportunity to amass a great deal of wounds/debt from sin, likewise their opportunity to bring more glory to God is also diminished. God receives glory from our lives when well lived. That is part of the reason we revere saints; they bring great glory to God. Therefore killing someone prematurely (and at anytime really) is robbing God of the glory that could come from that persons life.

So if you die young you are not better off, you have less to bring to God in that respect, for all our victories will bring us from glory to glory.

There really isn’t a formal church declaration on this matter but you can figure it out from a little reasoning.

7 Likes

Life is a wonderful gift that everyone has the right to experience even if they may suffer or not.
I hope you’ve seen “Its a wonderful life”, the core message of that movie is that one life can create a great amount of change and is infinitely valuable to everyone around that person. While those babies may have had a fast track to heaven, they could have been the ones to save thousands of souls. That’s why we can’t really predict what a person might do in the future according to their upbringing nor can we put a value figure on one’s life, especially not if they are never born.

5 Likes

Was Herod’s slaughter of the innocents then a positive thing? What would you say to the killing of children under the age of 7 is a positive thing as they will generally not have committed a mortal sin?

3 Likes

That is not a Church teaching.

The Church entrusts unbaptised infants to the mercy of God because the Church does not know what happens to them.

6 Likes

Which doesn’t exclude Limbo then from being a possibility.

6 Likes

And several billion who support abortion assured of eternal hell

That’s a net negative of billions going to hell because of abortion

3 Likes

Let’s agree that it takes at least 2 to abort. If surgically, the surgeon and the mother; if chemically, the chemist and the mother.

That’s 100 million going to hell and only 50 million to heaven (ceteris paribus).

Abortion, on the face of it, sends millions to hell.

3 Likes

That is an amazing answer. What I had also seen along those lines is that as someone with no exercise of freewill to judge, who has died with original sin, we don’t even know if they go to Heaven, but hope in God’s mercy.

2 Likes

Only God can judge people. We don’t know that the aborted go to Heaven, and we also don’t know that the aborters go to Hell. Mortal sin requires full knowledge of what you are doing, and there is still a lot of misunderstanding about the fact that the unborn are people. The unborn die with original sin, and no actions to judge. Let’s just hope God has mercy on us all, and continue to preach the truth and call for repentence. No good will come from trying to count who will go where when it isn’t even up to us.

2 Likes

? The point of my post was to show by extension that the OP’s premise/conclusion is false.

1 Like

In her Moral Theology, the Church teaches that one may not do evil so that good might result.

Besides which, you’re missing a big part of the equation: each abortion is a grave sin, so people fall into serious sin – and perhaps even mortal sin, and perhaps loss of heaven! – with each abortion. I’m not sure you can reasonably assert that the math of abortion results in “net good.”

(Edited to add: looks like @o_mlly beat me to it by about 20 minutes! :rofl: )

3 Likes

Interesting how you’re willing to flatly condemn (“no good will come from…”) suggesting what actions cause people go hell but not willing to flatly condemn (“still a lot of misunderstanding”) murdering a baby.

That’s not what full knowledge means. From the Catechism:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

" Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent . It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin."

They don’t need to believe that a fetus is a person. The Church declares it is in opposition to God’s law. I very much doubt they don’t know that Catholicism opposes abortion.

1 Like

I always thought that people who reject Catholicism without having been adequately exposed/given proper understanding still have a chance of going to Heaven.

1 Like

The suggestion taken was not my intent, and I also do condemn the action of abortion itself.

And what is “adequate”? Do you think that abortion doctors are not exposed to Catholicism given all the Catholics that protest outside their clinics? They can understand that murder is wrong, but lack the “adequate” understanding of applying it to babies?

There is a moral purity and perfection in the character of God that He is urging us to become more like.

An old radio drama I heard delineated in a cool way an interesting way of looking at moral choices, by analyzing how they fit into one of four possibilities. Doing the right thing for the right reason; doing the right thing for the wrong reason; doing the wrong thing for the right reason; or doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason. I tend to think that God always wants us in the “right thing for the right reason” place, so, your thought experiment, for me, falls short of good.

God may bring some good out of evil but that never justifies the evil.

1 Like

I don’t have the answer to that, which is why I do not judge people, but merely their actions. I was always told to hate the sin and not the sinner. It is not my place to say who is guaranteed to go to Heaven or Hell

Edit: I should say “why I don’t believe in judging people”. I definitely fail sometimes, and then I repent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.