Does an 'intended' twin have a soul?

My question is this: When a full-term baby is born but has extra body parts I am sure it would be safe to assume that twins were meant to be. If that is true, would there be two souls?

[quote=chuck clifford]My question is this: When a full-term baby is born but has extra body parts I am sure it would be safe to assume that twins were meant to be.
[/quote]

While it is possible that a child born with “extra” body parts was a member of a set of identical twins that did not fully separate, it is also possible that there was only one child who whose physical development progressed abnormally. Unless a second child is clearly apparent (e.g., conjoined twins), we simply don’t know if there was a second child.

[quote=chuck clifford]If that is true, would there be two souls?
[/quote]

In cases of conjoined twins, yes, each child has his own unique soul. Conjoined twins, as with identical twins, do not share the same soul. In cases of one child with “extra” body parts (e.g., extra body members), unless there is additional evidence of another child, we may presume that there is only one soul, the soul of the child who was born.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.