Does any church outside of the Catholic Church have valid holy orders?

Source: where does he say he knew better than God?
Short of a source, by what power to you claim to know his thoughts?

Either way, your response is contrary to your own catechism.

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. **All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,**275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

2 Likes

He showed it himself, by separating from the Church and starting his own. Let’s not be coy about it.

By his actions. Shocking, I know.

That salvation doesn’t come as a wellspring from Mr. Wrong Luther’s church, but from the Catholic Church, and from there by God, who can save anyone He likes. Luther made it HARDER for people to be saved, not easier. He was a sham, a weakling, a faint heart, and he made things worse, not better.

That’s an opinion, not a source. Let’s not be polemical about this.

So, you can read the minds of people long dead. Wow! Just wow!

That salvation doesn’t come as a wellspring from The Lutheran tradition of The Church but from the Catholic Church, and from there by God, who can save anyone He likes.

I fixed the sentence for you.
You’re right. Dr. Luther (or Father Martin) does not save, anymore than Pope Francis does.

Are you saying Luther was more powerful than Christ? I certainly disagree. Luther himself said he did not die on the cross, but Christ did.
And your accusation clearly contradicts the Catholic catechism Which says,
“Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation,…”
How can Christ’s Spirit make salvation harder?

1 Like

Actions aren’t a source? News to me.

I don’t need to read his mind. His actions speak across time for him.

Semantics. Pope Francis leads folks toward Heaven, while Luther led them further away by his split from the Church over things he thought he knew better about. He was an arrogant man, full of himself and not of the Spirit.

So, you witnessed them?

And you witnessed them.

“Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation,…”
How can Christ’s Spirit make salvation harder?

Who should we believe? You or the Catholic Catechism?

1 Like

It depends on the Anglicans in question. The Continuum does not attempt to convey Orders to invalid subjects.

They’re recorded. He did split away from the Church, right?? Or is that all a fever dream I’ve been having?

I’m not trying to convince anyone, just stating my beliefs and facts from history. Mr. Wrong Luther did what he did.

Yes, well, I felt compelled to include them in the list, lest someone think I excluded them from a list of valid orders. I guess I can’t win for trying.

A distinction should be made between individuals - always in the Church - and an organization, which has a relationship with the Church, though not through the Vatican office for religious orders, and not related to Dioceses.

The Church is also giving a kind of sacramental recognition to other entities now, such as PNCC, which is not faculties, not identical to SSPX, but worthy of note.

He was excommunicated.

You’re being successful.

Again, your beliefs seem to be contrary to your communion in a number of ways.

Indeed.

Why?

Cheeky. Why do you keep responding, then?[quote=“JonNC, post:52, topic:627839”]
Again, your beliefs seem to be contrary to your communion in a number of ways.
[/quote]

Nah.[quote=“JonNC, post:52, topic:627839”]
Indeed.
[/quote]

. . . .

Indeed, the tone of those posts is atrocious, as is the disrespect shown to Pope Emeritus Benedict.

1 Like

Irrelevant in this case, as the Pope’s gave faculties to the SSPX as an organization

Canonically nonsensical. Pope Francis delegated to their bishops the right to confer faculties on priests to conduct weddings. As for absolution, he simply decreed that absolutions by each individual SSPX priest would be “valid and licit”. The general opinion is that this was a grant of faculties or a delegation thereof.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.