Does anybody else eat kosher foods whenever possible?

As a part of my spirituality, I always try to eat kosher foods, but in a few week I’m going to Louisiana to visit friends and they plan on serving crawdads (not kosher, by any means).

I do buy kosher and halal meal when given the choice. Although more for humane treatment of the animals at the time of slaughter than for spiritual reasons. Same with my preference for grass-finished beef. And, if I were to travel on a plane that included a meal, I would state my choice (prior to the flight) as kosher or vegetarian. Again, this would be for the quality of the meal.

I’m very interested, though, in knowing more about your spiritual reasons for eating kosher foods.

I just got into Jewish mysticism and started to eat kosher foods. I felt that it might help my spirituality. No real reason beyond that.

That’s really interesting. What effect has it had on your spirituality? I would imagine, if it were me, I would be more mindful of the food that God has provided to nourish me. Therefore, gratitude and appreciation… What are your experiences?

Robert, I lived with my parents the last 2 years and while I did so, I ate what they put on the table. They did the grocery shopping. They encouraged me to add my favorite foods to the grocery list so I did do that. Out of respect for your hosts, I would advise you to eat what they serve. Our family visited family friends in Florida when I was young. They served grits, and I didn’t care for that, but I ate them anyway.

When you get home, you can cook what you like.

Now that I’m on my own, I do my own cooking. I mostly buy what’s on sale as I’m low income.

Like a good cultural anthropologist, I will eat it.

Sounds good.

I ate sushi once when I was out with a boyfriend who loved Japanese food. I didn’t care for it but it was good to have the experience.

Hope you have a nice trip.

As Christians we are followers of the law of liberty, so there should be no problem on religious grounds. As the Lord put it, “What I have made clean thou shalt not call unclean”. If you don’t mind my asking where in Louisiana are you visiting? :slight_smile:
(Also while your here you may want to call them crawfish; you’ll sound weird otherwise.)

I look for Kosher Coke available around Passover and if I crave a hotdog I prefer Hebrew National but that’s it.

Just out of curiosity, do you just eat foods that are labeled “kosher” or do you maintain the kosher practices also, such as not mixing meat & dairy?

I had a friend in college who grew up agnostic, and ended up marrying an observant Jew. She converted, and now keeps a kosher kitchen, but has confided in me that one of the things she misses the most is a bacon cheeseburger every now & then, especially when she is pregnant! :wink:

To be honest, I am very glad that Catholics do not have dietary restrictions like the kosher & halal laws. I really can’t imagine life without bacon, clams and cheeseburgers! ::p:D

Crawfish, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m off to Baton Rouge to see my granddaughter when she is born.

Congratulations Robert!

Kosher is really too expensive for a lot of the food items, and I’m on a budget. So I try half-heartedly to be kosher, choosing.kosher whenever practical.

Robert,

A very holy priest explained this to me a long time ago. Judaism is oriented toward the expectation of the coming of the Messiah. Catholicism is oriented toward the fact that the Messiah has come, and that is why Catholics do not follow the same Jewish religious practices like eating Kosher food. All the religious observances and practices of both Judaism and Catholicism have specific meanings. There is no need to eat Kosher (unless it’s for non-religious health reasons) unless you no longer believe the Messiah has come (and if that’s the case… you might as well practice Judaism).

That is what was explained to me. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

I have a deep love for Hasidim. I see my delving into Jewish mysticism as something very worthwhile. I believe there to be great wisdom in the Tanya, a book of deep spiritual insight. I have a high regard for Orthodox Judaism. On the other hand, I was baptized and confirmed a Catholic, and I would never do anything that would jeopardize my life as a Catholic. I’m Catholic who likes to delve into Judaism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.