Does anybody have anything beautiful to say about the Cross?

If so, please share. I’ve seen some beautiful things said about the Cross, and I’d like to go look them back up and share them with you. But here’s one of the beautiful things said about the Cross that I just read:

*The cross of Christ, though it has become to many a stumbling block and foolishness (1 Cor. i. 23) remains for the believer the holy sign of his redemption, the emblem of moral strength and greatness. We live in its shadow and die in its embrace. It will stand on our grave as a pledge of our faith and our hope in the eternal light. *

–Pope Pius XI, 1937

Bless your soul, Pius XI, and thank you for your pontificate, your life, your Faith, and your devotion to Christ.

Anybody else have anything beautiful to share about the Cross?

It might not be what you’re looking for, and you may of heard of it before, but I recently came across a poem called The Dream of the Rood. A description from Wikipedia:

"The poem is set up with the narrator having a dream. In this dream or vision he is speaking to the Cross on which Jesus was crucified. The poem itself is divided up into three separate sections. Section one the author has a vision of the Cross. Initially when the dreamer sees the Cross he notes how it is covered with gems. He is aware of how wretched he is compared to how glorious the tree was. However then he comes to see that amidst the beautiful stones it is also stained with blood(Bradley 160). Section two the Cross shares its account of Jesus’ death.

The Crucifixion story was told, but it was told from the perspective of the Cross. It started at how the enemy came and cut the tree down, carrying it away. Then the tree learned that it was to be the bearer of a criminal, but instead the Christ came to be crucified. The Lord and the Cross became one. They stood together as victors, refusing to fall, taking on insurmountable pain for the sake of mankind. It is not just Christ, but the Cross as well that was pierced with nails. Adelhied L. J. Thieme, in his “Gift Giving as a Vital Element of Salvation in the Dream of the Rood,” remarks, “The cross itself is portrayed as his lord’s retainer whose most outstanding characteristic is that of unwavering loyalty (108.)” The Rood and Christ are one in the portrayal of the Passion—they are both pierced with nails, mocked and tortured.

Then, just like with Christ, the Cross is resurrected, and adorned with gold and silver (Galloway, 1.) It was honored above all trees just as Jesus was honored above all men. The Cross then charges the visionary to share all that he has seen with others. Section three the author gives his reflections about this vision. The vision ends, and the man is left with his thoughts. He gives praise to God for what he has seen and is filled with hope for eternal life and his desire to once again be near the glorious Cross (Lapidge)."

You can find the full poem here.

Wow! That was so beautiful…I love it when peaceful poems and literature can put one at ease with words or pictures. I don’t know but the Bible, in the Book of Daniel has many beautiful passages, poems and the like. I hope to find more examples such as you have described…beautiful.:slight_smile:

Man is constantly seeking out what he must **DO **to please God, himself or others.

The Cross stands as an immovable reminder of what Jesus has DONE.

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. Galatians 6:14

By the way, I loved your question, but it has me thinking now…

The most gifted poet can never truly capture the rugged, tragic, heroic, glorious, riveting beauty of the cross itself.

Of course, it is a worthy effort to use what means we can to glory in the cross and draw our attention to the cross.

The cross resembles a “plus” sign in Math. That shows all the promises of God find their “yes” in Christ!

Nice observation! :thumbsup:

From the hymn… “The Old Rugged Cross” by George Bennard (1873-1958)

“In that old rugged Cross, stained with Blood so Divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old Cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me”.

This is my own: In the Cross of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer… I find my greatest hope.

When I’m crushed under the weight of my own sin, as happens from time to time, my fiancee reminds me that Jesus loves me so much, He would have died on the cross for my sins, even if I were the only human in existence. It’s the same for each one of you.

Though I’m not sure it’s her saying that, come to think of it… :wink:

Although I could see that many may not, I’ve always thought this quote from St. Josemaria Escriva to be very poignant;

“Whenever you see a poor, wooden cross, alone, uncared-for, worthless…and without a corpus, don’t forget that that cross is your cross–the everyday hidden cross, unattractive and unconsoling–the cross that is waiting for the corpus it lacks: and that corpus must be you.”

It reminds me of our duties and the joy available to those who suffer in and with The Lord, not even in obvious or in any way that will bring you recognition from others, but in a way that will bring you closer to Our Lord and salvation.

From The Imitation of Christ, 2,12 as quoted in The Book of Catholic Quotations

[quote=Thomas a Kempis]In the cross is salvation; in the cross is life; in the cross is protection from thy enemies. In the cross is infusion of heavenly sweetness; in the cross is strength of mind; in the cross is joy of spirit. In the cross is the height of virtue; in the cross is the perfection of sanctity. There is no health of the soul nor hope of eternal life but in the cross.
[/quote]

Fr. Raniero Cantalamesa, Preacher to the Papal Household, in his Good Friday Sermon in St Peter’s Basilica entitled “Up to death and death on a Cross” (cantalamessa.org/en/predicheView.php?id=303), said;

“In Paul’s eyes the cross assumes a cosmic significance. Christ has torn down the wall of separation with it, he has reconciled men with God and with each other, destroying hatred (cf. Ephesians 2:14-16). Based on this, primitive tradition developed the theme of the cross as a cosmic tree that joins heaven and earth with the vertical branch and unites the different peoples of the world with the horizontal branch. It is both a cosmic and a very personal event at the same time: “He loved me and gave himself up for me!” (Galatians 2:20) The Apostle writes, every man is “one for whom Christ died” (Romans 14:15).”

“**Christus factus est pro nobis oboediens usque ad mortem, mortem autem crucis” “For us Christ made himself obedient up to death, and death on a cross.”
Sancta Maria, Mater dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

This is one of my more recent favorites… Especially for parents seeking a bit of solace :slight_smile:

Yes, the life of every good parent is a martyrdom! It is to drink daily from the chalice of Jesus Christ Crucified. To be good parents, you must have a deep and true love of the Cross. It is by changing serpents into doves and tigers into lambs that you will be representative of Christ the Good Shepherd, and prove yourself a worthy parent, a man fit to beget and save souls.
Fr. Gerreol Girardey Qualities of A Good Superior 1920

Here’s more from a hymn called “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” When I survey the wondrous cross On which the Prince of Glory died, My richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. (Text by Isaac Watts, Music by Lowell Mason)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.