Does Anybody Know St. Therese the Little Flower?

My priest mentioned this saint during my confession the other day. I’d heard others mention St. Therese, but I didn’t know a lot about her. After my confession I read some short online biographies and I am thinking about purchasing “A Story Of A Soul.” For some reason, I feel very close to the Little Flower.

Does anybody else have a special devotion to St. Therese and her “little way” of spirituality?

Hi Dempsey1919
St Therese’s autobiography is a great book. Another good one is My Sister Saint Therese by Sr. Genevieve publishedby Tan Books. If we could live like St. Therese we would have no trouble entering the Kingdom of God. The more you read the book the greater the blessing you will receive. Cheers

Hello.

At this website, you can have the “daily reflection” e-mailed each morning. Just a sentence or two from St.Therese’s writings and a great way to start your day.

littleflower.org/

Hi Dempsey1919
St Therese’s autobiography is a great book…If we could live like St. Therese we would have no trouble entering the Kingdom of God. The more you read the book the greater the blessing you will receive. Cheers

I went to my Cathedral today and purchased “Story Of A Soul” by St. Therese. I can’t wait to begin reading it! I regularly pray to the saints, but never before have I felt a strong connection to one of them in the way that I do to towards the Little Flower. I really empathise with her. It feels like her method of spirituality was written just for me.

At this website, you can have the “daily reflection” e-mailed each morning. Just a sentence or two from St.Therese’s writings and a great way to start your day.

Thanks for sharing this website with us. I’ll definitely visit it regularly.

There is also a movie

theresemovie.com/

It is not the best movie ever made but I recommend it if you are interested in her

Hi “Dempsey”. Yep… I love St. Therese to pieces! She is my Baptismal patron. I say a Novena to her, the first 9 days of each month. She is my sister, in the truest sense of the term. I’m glad that you’re going to get her autobiography, “The Story of a Soul”. In it, you will learn not only about her life as a Carmelite nun… but also, about her early family life. Her parents… Zelie and Louis Martin were Beatified recently… and moved to the Basilica in Lisieux… where St. Therese herself, reposes.

The Church is also looking at the rest of the Martin family… for eventual Beatification and Canonization. There were 9 kids in the Martin family, altogether. And the 5 girls, who grew to adulthood… all entered religious life! In addition to St. Therese… I have also developed a devotion to her sister, Celine (Sr. Genevieve of the Holy Face… in religious life) because like me, Celine was caregiver to one of their parents. Louis Martin, who suffered from some type of dementia in the last part of his life.

I’m very excited that you will be getting to know St. Therese better! She’s truly a saint for our times!

God bless you!

P.S. Take a look at the following website. You will not only learn more about Therese… but also, her sisters: Marie, Pauline, Leonie and Celine. It’s an awesome website!

martinsisters.org/

I’m glad that you’re going to get her autobiography, “The Story of a Soul”. In it, you will learn not only about her life as a Carmelite nun… but also, about her early family life. Her parents… Zelie and Louis Martin were Beatified recently… and moved to the Basilica in Lisieux… where St. Therese herself, reposes.

I bought her autobiography today. I’m going to begin reading it after Mass tonight.

While I am interested in reading about the life of St. Therese, I’m more interested in learning about her “little way” of leading a holy life. I hope that I can follow her example in my life. I comforts me to know that an ordinary person like myself can achieve sanctity by following the methods of St. Therese.

One of the things that attracted me to St. Therese is that she seems so “down to earth.” She achieved such sanctity while remaining a normal person. She didn’t do any great deeds, or see any visions, or receive any private revelations. She was a person who loved Jesus and wanted to please him in whatever little way she could. This is why the message of St. Therese appeals to me.

An excellent book about St. Therese is I Believe In Love:

catholicfreeshipping.stores.yahoo.net/ibeinlobyfrj.html

Welcome to her fan club! :slight_smile:

An excellent book about St. Therese is I Believe In Love:

Thanks for sharing this. I’ll be sure to consider purchasing this after I read “Story Of A Soul.”

I am amazed at the amount of books that have been written on the Little Flower. It makes me wonder how I didn’t get to know more about this saint years ago? I believe she has come into my life at the time when I was searching for a way to become more like Christ. I want to be a better person and a better Christian and St. Therese has provided me with a practical way to do this. Deo Gratias

I agree, wholeheartedly! This was the “genius” of St. Therese. Her attitude was one of total child-like trust in God; and finding all the ways that average people (like us!) can reach the heights of sanctity! She taught that holiness is for everyone… not just priests and religious.

I’m convinced, this is the reason that Pope John Paul II named her “Doctor of the Church”. :thumbsup:

I’d love to hear your reflections on “The Story of a Soul”… once you’ve gotten into it. God bless!

Does anybody know her? I should say so - she’d have to be one of the most popular female saints of all time (after Our Lady of course)

If you are interested in St. Therese, a book that might also interest you is “My Sister, Saint Therese”. It’s available from TAN, was written by her elder sister, and was published in English in 1959.

I never heard of this one! “GG” do you know which of her sisters wrote this book? I’m gonna look for it, too!

Another good book is about the letters that she and a seminarian wrote back and forth.
Even though they never met in person, they exchanged letters and as it says…
…it opened a window on the heart of St. Therese that would have remained forever closed
had Maurice not written to the Mother Superior asking for a nun to pray for him. She chose
Therese.

It was written by an auxiliary bishop, Patrick Ahern, who is one of the formost experts
on the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux.
It’s called “Maurice & Therese The Story of a Love”

It is very good.

My husband and I choose her as the Patron Saint of our Marriage and ask her intercession daily.

Poster # 2 said it was Sr. Genevieve

I guess she has that effect on people. I feel like she is a very good friend. And if she were here on earth right now, I often think we would meet for coffee and chat just like I do with my friends.

Wonderful book!

I keep on trying to see God as my 2 1/2 yo granddaughter sees her parents - such simplicity, such total, confident trust. Amazing!

I’d love to hear your reflections on “The Story of a Soul”… once you’ve gotten into it. God bless!

I’ve read the first chapter and I can’t believe how many excellent quotes I have already found! I’ll definitely share my reflections with you once I get more into the book.

“A Story Of A Soul” is one of the best books that I have ever read. I’m so pleased that my confessor mentioned this little saint to me!

Thank you :thankyou:, “allhers” for helping my awful eyesight. :hypno: (telling me where the answer to my question was); I hope I can find this book! Because I pray to Sr. Genevieve (aka Celine Martin) for her intercession, too. I would LOVE to read her memories of her sister… St. Therese!

Does anyone know which chapter in A Story Of A Soul mentions “sacrifice beads?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.