Does anyone else have a problem with "Maryology"?

My husband and I are considering converting to Catholicism, but he is having a hard time with “Maryology”. He tells me that he wants to worship Jesus and not go to a “middleman”… Any suggestions???

He should always and only worship Jesus, and the Holy Trinity. Nothing or no one else, ever. He is never obligated to ask for Mary’s intercession, but that is available to him should he wish to.

I would not let something that he does not fully understand, stand in the way of converting. Learn more about it first, and I’m sure he will be fine with the Catholic devotion to the Mother of our Blessed Lord because it just makes sense.

~Liza

I think he may be confusing Maryolatry with Maryology. Mary is never worshiped in Catholicism. It is anathema.

Moreover, you are not required to avail yourself of her aid. One can be a good Catholic and never say a Rosary or ask Mary to intercede for you.

From the New Catholic Dictionary
Mariology
(Greek: Maria; logos, word)

That branch of theology which treats of the life and prerogatives of the Blessed Virgin, and of her eminent place in the economy of man’s redemption and sanctification.
catholic-forum.com/saints/ncd05080.htm

mariolatry
(Greek: Maria; latria, worship)
An opprobrious term, indicating that the veneration given to Mary by Catholics (hyperdulia) is equivalent to, or encroaches upon, the honor due to God alone (latria).
catholic-forum.com/saints/ncd05079.htm

He doesn’t have to go to Mary in prayer if it is uncomfortable. Ask him to just learn about her. What would the world be like without her “Yes” to conceiving the Son of God? Could just any women have been able to carry the Son of God in her womb? She had to have been sinnless to be able to hold the Second Person of the Trinity within her body. What an awsome position she holds! I am more familiar with a Mother’s Love, because I am a Mother. God has always given us examples of what we should try to be. Mary is my example of how to be a women, and a mother. Jesus gave her to us. If she is good enough to be the Mother of my Lord, she is overly qualified to be my Spiritual Mother. I really didn’t give her the respect she deserved until I held my dead child’s body in my arms. Oh how she suffered giving life to my Lord and Oh the Sorrow she bore giving her Son, My Lord, up to death. I don’t worship her as I worship my Lord. I Love her though. It is through her that I learn more about her son and what it is that he asks me to be. I gave birth to my daughter on Mother’s Day. she was born dead. I asked Mary if she would be so kind as to take my unbaptized infant daughter as her Mother’s Day gift. I ask Mary to place my child at my Lord’s feet for I was not worthy of doing so. I know that she helped me to not be angry with a God who would take my child to heaven before I even had the chance to see her smile. She helped me to see that my daughter had a very important role to play in the salvation of the world. She has comforted me. Just ask him to meditate on what it is that Mary did to aid in the salvation of the world.

I am a convert from the Methodist Church and I no problem with a devotion to Mary. I pray the Rosary every day and I’m a member of the Rosary Confraternity.
None of this came about immediately after my conversion but I grew to understand how Mary can help draw us closer to Christ, her son. Remember the Wedding Cana. Even though Jesus said it was not yet his time he still performed his first miracle out of respect for his mother. If Jesus shows such respect and honour for Mary, should we do less?

Rest assured that most who consider converting to Catholicism find Mary and her role in Catholic Christianity the highest hurdle to clear. But also realize that once one takes the time to fully understand the Church’s teaching on Mary he/she will pull the puzzle pieces together and form the picture. Mary has a most important role in salvation history but remains an infinite chasm of space from the role of Jesus. Once the Old Testament typology is brought to light and we see how Jesus wore the flesh of Mary and her role in the Church as she indicates the fulness of the Church as the Mother of God; only then will the Blessed Mother “fit” into anyone’s theology. She does not replace Jesus, she magnifies the greatness of the Lord.(cf. Luke 1:46) She points us to Jesus. She is so proud of Him. Could you only imagine carrying in your womb the second Person of the Holy Trinity? Wow! Unfathomable…And there she was watching Him die for us. She is not a “middleman”. She is exactly who the Church always said that she is: The first and best disciple and as Jesus , following Jewish law, honored His mother He would expect nothing less from us…God Bless…teachccd:)

Thanks everyone. I am learning a lot on here. I have a lot of learning to do!!!

Thanks again.

Mary is not middleman.

She is Mother.

It is when She is understood as Mother that the difficulties dispel.

It is worth noting that Martin Luther never had one problem with devotion to Mary. That came much later, after protestants rejected the papacy.

Could it be that this rejection of Mary stems from a reprobate mind, one that rebels against what Christ intended for His Church on earth? I just wonder if this could be a root cause for why so many protestants reject Mary.

Clearly, Christ loves His Mother and desires that we know and appreciate her particular role in the salvation of mankind.

She said yes, but she could have said no.

Her humble yes brought forth our Lord and Saviour.

She is only a creature and not to be worshipped, but of all of God’s creatures, she is to be the most revered.

No, thank you. If it were not for your question, I probably would not have taken the time today to tell Jesus what a wonderful Mother He has. Thank you and God Bless…teachccd:)

The souls of the righteous dead are conscious and somehow aware of the living (1 Samuel 28:15-19; Matthew 17:1-9; Mark 9:2-10; Luke 9:30-31, 15:7, 16:19-31) and they pray for the living (2 Maccabees 15:12-14, Revelation 5:8). Knowing this, it only makes sense to address them, as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego did from the belly of Nebuchadnezzar’s fiery furnace (Daniel 3:86), and ask them, as our beloved brothers and sisters in Christ, to pray for us, as St. Paul asked the recipients of his letters to pray for him (Colossians 4:3; 1 Thessalonians 5:25; 2 Thessalonians 3:1; Philippians 1:19; Philemon 1:22; Hebrews 13:8). After all, as the Bible says, “The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects” (James 5:16), and you can’t get more righteous than those in heaven (Hebrews 12:22-24).

Holy Mary, Mother of God. pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen

I’m learning so much about the many different layers of meanings in the bible. Like a mirror in between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Old Testament / New Testament
Adam / Jesus
Eve / Mary

Adam and Eve ate from the “Tree of Life” Jesus was crucified on the “Tree of Life” the cross. Eve is called “the Mother of all living things” Mary is given to us by her son Jesus when He said to his beloved disciple “Behold your Mother”. Eve was created without sin. (God can do that):yup: And for Mary to carry our Lord she had to be “spotless”. Jesus is filled with grace and to just touch Him people were healed. Imagine in your womb, Jesus. Mary and Jesus were connected like only a mother and child can be. They shared blood.The blood of Jesus is precious, and were did it come from? She had to be spotless.

And if you ever read Exodus about when God tells Moses to have the Ark of the Covenant built. You’ll notice it was created special to hold the tablets (The Word of God) and the manna (The Bread of Life that came from Heaven).It was pure and holy. And so to Mary was created, (not picked) to carry in her womb The Word of God made Flesh who IS the Bread of Life that came from Heaven. Mary **IS **the New Ark of the Covenant.

Look at the Book of Luke and 2 Samuel in light of eachother.

Luke 1:39 / 2 Sam. 6:2 - Luke’s conspicuous comparison’s between Mary and the Ark described by Samuel underscores the reality of Mary as the undefiled and immaculate Ark of the New Covenant. In these verses, Mary (the Ark) arose and went / David arose and went to the Ark. There is a clear parallel between the Ark of the Old and the Ark of the New Covenant.
**Luke 1:41 / 2 Sam. 6:16 **- John the Baptist / King David leap for joy before Mary / Ark. So should we leap for joy before Mary the immaculate Ark of the Word made flesh.
**Luke 1:43 / 2 Sam. 6:9 **- How can the Mother / Ark of the Lord come to me? It is a holy privilege. Our Mother wants to come to us and lead us to Jesus.
Luke 1:56 / 2 Sam. 6:11 and 1 Chron. 13:14 - Mary / the Ark remained in the house for about three months.

scripturecatholic.com/blessed_virgin_mary.html#the_bvm-II
:amen:

The bottom line is, if you’re uncomfortable “praying to Mary” don’t. Jesus would never force you to do something like that if it’s uncomfortable. In time though, you may come to understand that she is not a roadblock, she is a roadsign saying:

[sign]This way to Jesus!!![/sign]

No one has to pray to a saint if he doesn’t want to. Me, I am not all that drawn to some of the favorites like Padre Pio or St. Francis of Assisi (don’t flame me you all, I don’t dislike them, but there are other saints that I find myself more in synch with).

The same holds true for Mary. You can conceivably go through all your Catholic life and not pray to her, but wouldn’t you want to?
She is the mother of Jesus, the mother of God and, as Elizabeth said, Blessed among women.

Just as I might ask my friend to pray for me when I need prayers, I ask Mary to pray for me. It’s as simple as that.

Get Tim Staple’s set of CDs about Mary. They’re awesome!

Also, Scott Hahn’s book, Hail, Holy Queen.

Both are excellent resources for Protestants.

Just a question and comment. Has your husband ever asked you or anyone to pray for him, or has anyone ever prayed for your husband.
So why not ask the person closest to our Lord, His mother and our mother to pray for us. As someone stated earlier, bringing up Cana, that miracle is a great example of her role in all our lives.

If you are having a problem or an illness, do you ask people you know to pray for you, especially friends who are very religious? That’s all Catholics are doing with prayers in Mary’s or any saint’s direction. We are asking them to pray for us. The Hail Mary is the perfect illustration. It quotes two bible verses, then asks Mary to pray for us. Devotions to Mary actually started in the gospels, with the wedding of Cana. The people asked for Mary’s intercession, and she instructed them, “Do whatever he tells you.” Then Jesus turned water into some really good wine!

We only worship God, in the Three Persons of the Holy Trinity, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

They do go over it in RCIA, so I strongly suggest you contact your local priest and ask about getting involved when next year’s classes begin. They are free, and they help you learn about the church and whether you want to continue learning each step of the way about the church.

Good luck in your journey! :slight_smile:

Let us tell the whole truth about Marian devotion within Catholicism…this is a true prayer from Pope John Paul II - I received this from someone (A Catholic) here on the forum.

Immaculate Conception, Mary, my Mother.
Live in me. Act in me. Speak in and through me.
Think your thoughts in my mind. Love, through my heart.
Give me your dispositions and feelings.
Teach, lead and guide me to Jesus.
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior.
Possess my soul. Take over my entire personality and life.
Replace it with yourself.
Incline me to constant adoration and thanksgiving.
Pray in me and through me.
Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
– Pope John Paul II

Prayer is worship…Prayer is a SPIRTUAL SACRIFICE. We ought not direct our prayers/sacrifices but to God alone. This prayer is not warranted and is contradictory to scripture. In many cases, we see Churches called “Lady of Refuge”…we have no refuge but God and God alone. I almost converted to Catholicism but this was something that kept me away as well.

QUOTE=OneForTruth;2301244]Let us tell the whole truth about Marian devotion within Catholicism…this is a true prayer from Pope John Paul II - I received this from someone (A Catholic) here on the forum.

Immaculate Conception, Mary, my Mother.
Live in me. Act in me. Speak in and through me.
Think your thoughts in my mind. Love, through my heart.
Give me your dispositions and feelings.
Teach, lead and guide me to Jesus.
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior.
Possess my soul. Take over my entire personality and life.
Replace it with yourself.
Incline me to constant adoration and thanksgiving.
Pray in me and through me.
Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
– Pope John Paul II

Prayer is worship…Prayer is a SPIRTUAL SACRIFICE. We ought not direct our prayers/sacrifices but to God alone. This prayer is not warranted and is contradictory to scripture. In many cases, we see Churches called “Lady of Refuge”…we have no refuge but God and God alone. I almost converted to Catholicism but this was something that kept me away as well.

Good points. Read what the scriptures say about Mary and then compare that with the Marian doctrines and you will see a world of difference. Take for example the teaching that Mary was assumed into heaven bodily. There is absolutely no evidence for this in the scriptures. There are no eyewitnesses to this in history. There is much more that could be said and needs to be said. Christ is all you need. Praying to saints is not biblical or necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.