Does anyone else think Judas gets a bad rap?

Does anyone else think Judas gets a bad rap? I mean, he followed Christ. Christ didn’t meet his expectations, and he betrayed Him, but…

I’ll bet you Christ doesn’t meet a lot of expectations. It’s kind of the Divine Incarnate thing, and who claims to know the mind of…

Judas took his own life, but could have been apostle, and I hope he has already or will join the cloud of witnesses.

I know there are a lot of early heresies saying Judas did the right thing, I don’t think so and I’m not proposing any of that rot, but…

Peter.

'nuff said.

I think of Peter Ustinov in the admittedly OK but not great or even really good movie bearing his given name dreaming of the three denials, then a rooster wakes him in the morning out of the dream. I wonder if this is how the first Holy Father awakened every morning.

But still, it is easy to point a finger at Judas. Ooops, all the other fingers I have are pointing at me when I do that…

Judas does get a bad rap, because this is the sheerest betrayal in human life; betraying the LORD of Life!

But that doesn’t make him any worse than any other grievous sinner.

ICXC NIKA

The saddest aspect of Judas’ story is the fact that he offed himself, rather than accepting God’s mercy. Had he repented, I think he could have been a great saint on par with Peter the denier and Paul the persecutor. What a waste.

He did repent he felt remorse for his actions and returned the money. He was so disgusted with his actions that he took his own life. I think their is a good chance Jesus forgave and allowed Judas to have salvation.

He didn’t repent; he despaired.

The Gospel said he was a thief. He used to take money from the treasury and was concerned that the perfumed oil given to Jesus could have brought much money. When he rlearned that Jesus Christ was to be killed, he must have known that his entire lifestyle of pilfering from the group, was soon to end. He also had no respect from many other Jews because he was associated with Jesus Christ. Suicide was his out in face of the situation. Matt. 26:

22 And they being very much troubled, began every one to say: Is it I, Lord?
23 But he answering, said: He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, he shall betray me.
24 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born.
25 And Judas that betrayed him, answering, said: Is it I, Rabbi? He saith to him: Thou hast said it.

We need to look inward…to see if we have any of those “not me” qualities.

Yes, but he did also have free will, and he chose evil. He was not a pawn as some people like to say.

Agreed.
I often wonder about folks who endless “wonder” themselves about the fate of others.
Seems like a wasted enterprise. Learn from their mistakes already. Cautionary tale, as it were. We should “wonder” about our own final destination. :wink:

I have always found it interesting that Judas had free will, but yet Jesus knew he was the one that would betray him! I guess Jesus knows ahead of time what our ‘free will’ will pick!:shrug:

So was Judas “predestined” for his betrayal? Because if he hadn’t, if he changed his mind at the last minute, what would have become of the plan of salvation, the atoning sacrifice of the Cross?

No, he wasn’t pre-destined, though our all knowing God knew which choice Judas would make long before he did.

It could be argued that Judas was therefore not in his right mind at the time of death. One interesting short fantasy story I read had a character plainly meant to be Judas who was earning redemption by steering the living away from temptations towards betrayal.

DC comics recently rewrote the origin of one of their characters to make it plain he is actually that universe’s version of Judas Iscariot seeking to earn redemption. Previously it had been hinted the character was a fallen angel who neither sided with Satan ultimately but who having been tempted by him was not allowed back in Heaven at present. Now they explicitly portray him as Judas and wearing a necklace composed of the 30 coins he was paid. Any sufficiently worthy deed he does causes one of those coins to fall and brings him a step closer to redemption.

Dante as I recall placed Judas at the hear of Hall with his head in the Devil’s bottom for all eternity. Fictional views on him and his fate have been interestingly varied over the centuries.

Regret and remorse is not the same as repent. He dispared and hung himself. Jesus himself said it would have been better if he had never been born. Judas made his own choice and he could have followed Jesus as the other Apostles did. Peter repented and became our first Pope. Big difference. We have no idea what went on between Judas and God during his last moments of life. All we know is what the Sacred Scriptures tell us. God Bless, Memaw

I sure wouldn’t put my faith in any fantasies God Bless, Memaw

I did not imply I did at any point in my post and would be most grateful if you desist in future from making jabs of that kind, I merely mentioned them as points of interest showing how Judas how has been handled in various forms of popular literature throughout the ages. I personally tend to view Judas and his fate as something known only to God.

The Church has not said that Judas is in Hell. We do not know. However, we had better not follow in his footsteps. I trust fully in God’s Judgement. He knows my heart, my soul, my intentions and who I am. He knows each and everyone of His children. He knows when we are making excuses for our behavior.

Looking at the worst of sinners and thinking, “Poor poor Judas. God just doesn’t play fair.” Then moving over to, “Well I am not that bad. I am okay and you are okay.” Are not the wisest of all philosophies. We WILL choose between God and Satan. The choices we make here on Earth WILL be the choice we make when we face God. Satan and his followers made their choice with full knowledge. We will make our choice with full knowledge.

God understands completely the difference between those who do or do not have full knowledge and those who are wanting excuses. His Mercy is just.

He gave Judas free will and He has given us free will. I don’t understand all the ins and outs of that belief but as a Catholic I have come to understand that I am not meant to fully understand the Mind of God and His Mysteries.

Christ told us that it would have been better for Judas never to have been born.

I’m not so sure how to exaggerate that enough to unfairly give Judas a bad rap.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.