Does anyone find Mana-Yood-Sushai in "The Gods of Pegana" series blasphemous?

I was looking up the fantasy writer’s Lord Dunsany book “The Gods of Pegana” on wikipedia and there’s an article about a diety named Mana-Yood-Sushai.It says that the
first description of this diety is as follows. “Before there stood gods upon Olympus, or ever Allah was Allah, had wrought and rested MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI.”.I was shocked reading this thinking “Whoa there!.Allah is the Arab word for the God in the Abrahamic religions.What’s with this guy saying that there’s a diety even more powerful then God as to say that he created him?”.Even though there’s a small chance that it’s like this because in the early 1900’s in Ireland most people probably did’nt understand that Allah in Islam is a word basically equivalent with the Judeo-Christian God I find this so offensive that I’m wondering if should even read this book (even though I know it’s just a work of fantasy fiction).I would appreciate it someone whos read the "The Gods of Pegana series could answer.Thank you very much so for your time.

I've read most of Dunsany and his work. He was a highly educated man who would have known what the various usages of the word Allah. However it's important not to confuse his stories with his actual beliefs as he was a quite strong Anglican in everyday life. As an interesting piece of trivia he is in part descended from a Catholic saint and is also a relative of one of the signers of the Irish Proclamation in Easter 1916. Although he himself was in favour of keeping the union with Britain.

Dunsany's work is a major influence on Tolkien also you should bear in mind. I woudn't take the secondary reality he has created in this work as been literal or been intended to be blasphemous.

What a coincidence. I just started reading “The Gods of Pegana” this week and I’m about 3/4 of the way through it. Other than that one line, there really isn’t really any other reference to our world, but rather in a different fantasy world, so it’s not likely that Dunsay is saying that Mana-Yood-Sushai is the real deal. As for the content of the story, it’s mythology with a similar tone as real world mythologies, but with different characters. There are stories about this god’s character or how that mortal messed up or how such and such a thing happened. For me, reading this was no more objectionable than reading Greek or Norse mythology.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.