Does anyone have a favorite Hymn?

I just thought it would be interesting to see what Hymns are special to others…

Personally mine is “I am the Bread of Life” - everytime I hear that I get all teary-eyed. :blush: .

I think my top one right now is “Here I am Lord.”

Contenders might be
The prayer of St. Francis
Be not afraid

Wow, our church just sang that at Mass on Saturday night, I love that one too! :slight_smile:

Ditto for me too
Kathy

Let all mortal flesh keep silent

One of my favorites is “Deep calls to deep and my soul finds no resting place but Him”. The first time I heard it I was 18 and it was being sung by Mother Teresa’s nuns. It really touched me and has stayed with me ever since.

My absolute favorite is “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence.” (Nice to see it’s someone else’s too!)

The words are so profound, and combined with the haunting melody, it gives me chills.

'thann

This was intriging enough for me to seek this hymn out. I found the composer’s site and listened to the snippet that’s there – it’s simply beautiful!

'thann

I also love “How great Thou art” :heart:

I found this beautiful version sung by Alan Jackson.

youtube.com/watch?v=DcF75h4BHk8

Really glad you liked it thann. It was the most moving spiritual experience I have ever had, to hear the sisters sing it after communion. I have never heard anyone else sing it since but it remains with me to this day.

The version of the hymn at the link you provided is lovely but the sisters sang it very solemnly and slow which really worked as a communion hymn. It was so prayerful and meaningful. The slower version for me, sung by the sisters was the one that touched me most, but that’s just my preference. The other version is nice too.:slight_smile:

Here I am Lord is my favourite hymn and i do love one other one, but the title escapes me…

I have a few:

O God Beyond all Praising - (Very special and personal to me)
He Comes to Us as One Unknown
The King of Love My Shepherd Is
Lord of All Hopefulness
Alleluia! Sing to Jesus/Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
This is My Commandment

Jerusalem - I know I never heard it sung in Catholic churches at least here in the US and it’s more of a patriotic hymn, but I love it. There is different text in our Catholic hymnal, but it’s really cheesy.

“Be Not Afraid”

I have always liked it, but it’s more special since it was the processional at my grandfather’s funeral, in the beautiful cathedral in Spokane, WA.

Hosea, Come Back to Me
Draw Near
Ave Maria (in Latin, of course)
Not sure if this is the right name but,
“Were you there when they Crucified my Lord?”

Be Not Afraid is my favorite. It touches my heart so deeply that tears pour down my face and I’m a soggy mess by the end.

When I heard it, I thought to myself how much nicer it would sound if it were done more slowly and hauntingly, like a chant. The words are so profound. I imagine the experience you had was exactly the way I think that song should be sung!

'thann

Oh, thousands!

St. Patrick’s Breastplate
Be Thou My Vision
Tantum Ergo Sacramentum
Woship the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness
Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
Rock of Ages
Nearer, My God, to Thee

None of which we ever sing at Mass. :frowning: I was raised Anglican, and the only thing I miss is the music. Not having to sing Gather Us In every other week. Our parish music is dreadful, to someone who sang hymns by dead guys every week of her childhood.

Non Nobis

Non nobis Domine
Domine non nobis Domine
Sed nomine, sed nomine,
Tuo da gloria!

(Not to us Lord,
but to your name,
give the praise!)

Amazing Grace
Ave Maria
The one about Mary…Gentle Mary…we sang it at the rosary last night.

I am a new Catholic, so I have many favorites, but don’t know many of the names yet.

I cannot choose from the Seven Sequences which is the finest :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.