Does anyone have a good recipe for cod?

I have to cook cod tonight. Can anyone help? (Husband usually wants it in sauce for polenta, but the kids hate that.)

Allrecipes is your friend :slight_smile:

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cod-au-Gratin/Detail.aspx

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cod-with-Italian-Crumb-Topping/Detail.aspx

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-Curry-Cod/Detail.aspx

From spn82756:

This recipe doesn't look bad at all. But again...you don't have to use salted cod. You can use fresh cod and boil it a bit before baking. I also would not chop the hard boiled eggs...but instead just slice them and include them in a layer on top. It's delicious! Also...I don't think the butter is needed...just the olive oil. Steve

2 pounds dried salted cod fish
4 Yukon Gold potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
freshly ground pepper to taste
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
10 pitted green olives
10 pitted black olives

Directions

Soak the dried salted cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the soaked cod, and boil for about 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove cod from water, and save water for cooking potatoes. Remove skin and bones from the cod, and flake the meat into pieces using a fork. Set fish aside in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of parsley, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Pour over the fish, and toss lightly to coat.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the potatoes into the fish water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain under cool water, peel and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute until golden and caramelized. Stir one clove of garlic into the onions. Set aside.
Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of a greased 8x11 inch baking dish. Cover with half of the cod, then half of the onions. Repeat layers, ending with onion.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Before serving, garnish the top with green and black olives, and hard-cooked eggs. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.

My changes:
Boiled fresh cod in salted water. Peeled & sliced potatoes before boiling. Skipped red pepper flakes.

Olives & eggs make the dish. Delicious. Thank you, Steve. :D

Betsy

Cod in Tomato sauce

1 pound of cod
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups of canned or fresh tomatoes like the plum ones in the 28oz can
a little bit of marjoram - but if you don't have it, no biggie
1/2 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Heat oil in a sauce pan

Add onion and cook until soft.

Add garlic and bay leaves

Add of the remaining ingredients, stir until sauce mixture is hot.

Place cod in the sauce and simmer at a low-med temp for about 1 hour with lid on sauce pan.

Check it occasionally and gently give everything a soft stir.

Serve with hot mashed potatoes or white rice - this is great with pasta as well.

Add a Salad and hot crusty bread. It goes so well.

This is from a salty sailor who used to serve this in the mess,
make a rhu, then add milk,
add cod
serve on toast
He called it SOS, I'll leave you you to find out what that stands for and if you agree with the analysis.

You’re looking for kids to eat the stuff, right? Do this.

Make fish nuggets:

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Servings: 4-6
Main Ingredient: Cod
Difficulty Level: 2

Ingredients to make Ultra Fish Nuggets
2 pounds haddock or cod fillets
1 cup finely crushed graham crackers (about 16 squares)
3/4 cup finely crushed saltines (about 25 crackers)
1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
Oil for deep-fat frying
Directions to make Ultra Fish Nuggets
Step 1:
Cut fish into 1-in. cubes; secure with a toothpick if necessary. Combine cracker crumbs and seasoned salt in a shallow bowl; roll fish in crumb mixture until coated.
Step 2:
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry nuggets, a few at a time, for 3 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels.

Wrap it twice in a plastic bag (like used store bag). Then place that in a garbage bag and securely place it in the outside trash.

Then make some cheese quesadillas or homemade mac and cheese or noodles with marinara sauce and cheese and enjoy!

;)

[quote="Catholic90, post:7, topic:189463"]
Wrap it twice in a plastic bag (like used store bag). Then place that in a garbage bag and securely place it in the outside trash.

Then make some cheese quesadillas or homemade mac and cheese or noodles with marinara sauce and cheese and enjoy!

;)

[/quote]

Oh my!!! :eek:

Cod is very good if you know how to prepare it and cook it. DELISH!!!! :D

[quote="jakasaki, post:8, topic:189463"]
Oh my!!! :eek:

Cod is very good if you know how to prepare it and cook it. DELISH!!!! :D

[/quote]

Uh, no. I would have to disagree. I do not like fish, seafood, or anything of that nature.

I do not like lobster, shrimp, shell fish, etc. Blech. Did you know there is nothing more disgusting in the world than week old lobster that has been sitting in a fridge? Nothing. Not even mouldy ground beef is more disgusting, and I have discovered that from time to time (with teenagers who cook at odd hours of the night, I have discovered many things in my fridge).

My DH "won" some lobster tails and prepared some for himself. He wanted the kids to try them, which they did. One DS kind of like them, the other 2 did not. I even had a taste, just in case my tastes had changed. They had not. My DH ate what he wanted, and then placed the rest in the fridge, vowing to eat the leftovers the next day. He did not. Guess who discovered the putrid container about a week later? I did not even try to rescue the plastic Tupperware container it was in.

[quote="Catholic90, post:9, topic:189463"]
Uh, no. I would have to disagree. I do not like fish, seafood, or anything of that nature.

I do not like lobster, shrimp, shell fish, etc. Blech. Did you know there is nothing more disgusting in the world than week old lobster that has been sitting in a fridge? Nothing. Not even mouldy ground beef is more disgusting, and I have discovered that from time to time (with teenagers who cook at odd hours of the night, I have discovered many things in my fridge).

My DH "won" some lobster tails and prepared some for himself. He wanted the kids to try them, which they did. One DS kind of like them, the other 2 did not. I even had a taste, just in case my tastes had changed. They had not. My DH ate what he wanted, and then placed the rest in the fridge, vowing to eat the leftovers the next day. He did not. Guess who discovered the putrid container about a week later? I did not even try to rescue the plastic Tupperware container it was in.

[/quote]

Well then, nothing more to say is there. But, I have some inquiries....

Fish & shelfish must be prepared properly and cooked properly and it is DELISH and must be eaten with the same day or no more max the next day.

So mistake is leaving the lobster tails, or any other seafood in the fridge after cooking for 1 week is a no-no.

It's too bad yours sat in the fridge for 1 week. Perhaps your DH should stop cooking seafood.

If you care to please, how did DH prepare the """My DH "won" some lobster tails and prepared some for himself. """ And did DH smell the "lobster tails" he "won" for freshness before cooking them????

Beer battered and fried! I don't have a recipe for that though.

My usual method with fish: I dip it in a beaten egg, then dredge it in flour a few times. Then I pan fry it in olive oil. So simple and a real hit!

this only works for fresh fillets or thoroughly thawed,

melt a lot of butter in a heavy skillet on a medium heat, seasoned cast iron is best. impossible to have too much butter. put the codfish in the butter, cook 3-4 minutes. flip it over carefully, sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, and cook another 3-4 minutes until flaky.

you are making hashbrowns in another skillet meanwhile with redskin potatoes while the fish is going. or you can bake frozen ore-ida steak fries in the oven. you have a package of self-steaming veggies in the microwave, so the plates are ready with potatoes and veggies when the fish is done, you place the fish on the plates and serve immediately

[quote="sherimarie, post:5, topic:189463"]
This is from a salty sailor who used to serve this in the mess,
make a rhu, then add milk,
add cod
serve on toast
He called it SOS, I'll leave you you to find out what that stands for and if you agree with the analysis.

[/quote]

If you want to look this up on line, it is "roux"

Equal parts flour and butter (or pan drippings) browned and used to thicken/flavor gravy. YUMMMMMMMM.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.