Does anyone have a simple life

I mean just a simple happy life without a lot of problems. I’d give a lot for just one day like that. :o:rolleyes::shrug:

I don’t think I have one day without some “crisis” but I do have two teenagers at home!:rotfl:

But, for me happiness comes from within; sometimes I’m good at it, sometimes not!

Lol with (2) teenagers you’ve got drama on your hands all the time. Good luck :D:thumbsup::wink:

*Hi Sierrah–I hear you. :o For me? Most of mine are self-induced. :blush: I recently admitted that to God. It was liberating! :yeah_me: I think that if we’re honest, the problems of life have made us who we are, and have helped us to grow. The Holy Spirit told me that. :slight_smile:

Whatever you are going through, I’ll keep you in my prayers. :hug1:*

I go into my “spiritual cell” like St. Catherine of Siena did when she was refused by her family to be allowed to become a nun (I hope I got the story right). But it’s hard at times. I know I live for my days off when I get a moment or two alone. I just wished I’d use it more prayerfully. :frowning:

But in answer to your question (LOL) not since I was a kid. :o

My life, 4 little ones (7, 5, 2.5, and 9m) and a very stressful job and my wife and I both work full time. Tons of crazy things going on, got in a huge fight with my VP on Tuesday over a contract I’m working on… it’s just nuts.

Just remember, you can’t do it alone. Sometimes I’m much better at remember that than others but this week was one of those where God did a good job of reminding me to give things to Him as He is my strength.

Time and time again throughout my life I try to bear the burden myself, not in defiance but rather in forgetfulness. Praise the Lord that He is always there to pick me up when I fall flat on my face with his Divine Mercy… truly without Him I am nothing.

Every night when the boys and I say our prayers we spend a little time thanking God for taking care of us, forgiving us etc… Try that every night for a while, give God those problems, “offer them up” and pray for strength and trust. It will make difference!

Joe

Not in the least.

I have taken steps to simplify though, and that really is making a difference.

I moved closer to work. I ride my bike to work and my kids take the bus. I can not tell you how much better that has made things.

I have also reduced the amount of time that I spend paying bills by spending cash, by eliminating some things like tv and home phone and because of where I moved no more trash, water, or sewer bills.

I don’t run out to the store every time I need something. I try to wait until I need a few things and as much as possible save my errands for Saturdays. No “recreational” spending either. I try to go without whenever it is possible.

So, working on simplifying.

My wife and I have had our ups and downs the past 12 years. We have 2 kids, and one on the way. Our life is not easy, and with my wife being a stay at home mom, and home school teacher. Life will throw curve balls.

I work hard 12 days. The work is intense, and I have a high amount of stress. The up side is I only work 3 to 4 days a week. We have plenty of time to bond, and have fun. My wife and I are tied at the hip. We do just about everything together. She is my best friend, and my rock.

Things are not perfect. They will never be perfect. We most likely will have to watch every penny spent for the rest of our lives. My job will cause stress, Some day our children could give us grief. I have not seen it in 11 years, but the oldest will be a teen soon.

What I do know is that I accept my wife for who she is. I see her for her efforts, and not for her short falls. I see her beauty, love, compassion, and her desires.

So yes life has it’s ups and downs. We try to live without distractions. We try to live without debt, and extra expenses. The house is not always perfect. I sometimes have to dig in the cloths basket for clean socks. When she cooks dinner sometimes it is really late, but none of it matters. We have found peace and harmony no matter the stormy conditions of life. We stay true and guide our path together with our kids. By Gods grace, and love.

So yes I live a simple life, By my actions when it comes to materialism, and relationships being content with the good God has graced me with is my peace, and simplicity in living.

Although I love my kids more than myself and they are my world, it is very stressful being a mother. The worry you feel for them is overwhelming sometimes…will they grow up happy? are they safe? who’s hurting their feelings?..it’s just one thing after another…Than there’s the debt which is mostly our fault, but we are trying to fix it. Overall though, I’d have to say, I am a happy person even with all the stress…I think if you have kids, it is very hard to have a simple life…

About 30 years years ago, mainly in response to Ron Sider’s convicting book, Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger, the “Simple Lifestyle Movement” swept through the evangelical Protestant churches. I don’t know if it hit the Catholic churches (back then, we had nothing to do with Catholic churches).

Everyone was simplifying their lives so that they would have more money and time to give to the Lord. We were all giving up coffee so that the people in South America wouldn’t be oppressed, walking more, making our own Christmas wrapping and cards, and above all else, cooking with simpler ingredients.

I still have a wonderful cookbook called “More With Less Cookbook” by Doris Longacre (RIP). I would highly recommend it to those of you with large families, or anyone who wants to eat more simply. The recipes are great and I use this cookbook often.

The Simple Lifestyle Movement dominated the first year that my husband and I were married, and to this day, I’m grateful. I believe that this movement influenced both of us to avoid materialism and to think through our expenditures and make sure that they were in line with God’s plan for us. While many of our friends have moved into “castles” in the country, we still live in a little ol’ ranch house in the middle of the city, and we pay less for this house than many people pay for an apartment! Yes, we did figure skating and it cost a lot of money, but we kept the focus on family activity and togetherness, and we cut a lot of corners in the sport (e.g., we didn’t buy photos and videos and souvenir t-shirts at every competition–hundreds of dollars saved).

However, the Simple Lifestyle Movement didn’t last long. As you can imagine, Americans got weary of cutting up old tires to make our shoes, and once winter started here up North, we realized that it was no longer practical to ride our bikes to work.

Also, I think a lot of us realized that in our attempts to make life “simpler,” we actually worked harder and spent more time than if we just lived life as it came. It really does take a lot more time to make homemade bread from wheat flour that you grow yourself in your backyard garden than to drive to the store and pick up a loaf!

Seriously, I would recommend simplifying whatever you can and just accepting and ENJOYING (or at least enduring) the rest as “life.” I’m 52, and a lot of the problems and worries that came with children and teenagers are gone now and you know something–I wish I still had those problems instead of the ones I have! Back then, it didn’t hurt me to walk because I still had cartilage in my knees. I didn’t worry about my mammogram or my blood pressure or any aspect of my body because I had all the time in the world! Both my parents were still alive, along with all of our grandparents–it was a glorious time.

Don’t wish your life away. I’m sure that the problems I have now will seem trivial compared to the problems I have ten years from now (if I’m still here by God’s will).

I’m sure you and many others have seen this, but if not, please read this link to wise words by Erma Bombeck entitled, “If I Had My Life To Live Over Again”: ookingdom.com/heavenly/over

I have a pretty simple life, and it is very rewarding. I am married with four grown children and two grandchildren, plus an enormous extended family. I own my own business, which is doing okay. My husband and I have always believed in simplicity as a way of life: we raised our family on one income, gardened, yard-saled, baked our own bread, even had our own animals - you get the idea. We don’t need to do as much of that now, but we still live in a very simple bungalow with very cheap payments, drive old but well-maintained cars, spend frugally, etc. It is just natural.
As far as having no problems and having a simple life, I think simplicity of living does help. I have noticed many times that our family life was very peaceful and tranquil compared to most of our friends and relatives.
But, I think for true simplicity and peace of mind, it is essential to keep your mind on our Lord. I have recently started saying at least one rosary and one Divine Mercy Chaplet every day, and I can tell a huge difference in my attitude toward life in general…things don’t seem quite so hectic and I enjoy life more.

Not really. I’ve got 20 pages of translation due Monday 1 pm (done 1 out of that…) and further 50 due Friday… all when I need to write a brief to a very high court in my own private case plus write two academic articles… all at the time when I’ve just bought Tropico 3. :o And a client is likely to contact me after 11th Nov. with something new. It’s simple in terms of getting business before Christmas, which is great, and in terms of probably having to work, sleep and eat until it’s all over, after which I’ll have to sit down and finish the Ph.D. dissertation… Which means a month spent reading Supreme Court opinions. It’s going to be very simple: getting up, reading, going to bed, getting up… Is this what you’re dreaming of? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read that from Erma Bombeck and it brings tears to my eyes. Everyone should read it. There’s a play “Our Town”, and a line it…“Does anyone appreciate life while they are still living” (I don’t think it is exact)
and the narrator says “no, maybe some poets” (again, I don’t remember exact.)…But it is a powerful commentary on how people view and appreciate their lives.

Well, okay, I’ve just finished all 15 missions of Tropico, so I can get back to work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Live simply in Jesus. There is the simple life.

Yes, I have a pretty simple life. I am retired and the 2 grown kids are off on their own. Husband and I do things together. He still works and I spend my days volunteering, doing things at our church, Bible study, meeting up with friends etc.

We always have kept our life simple, and not have a lot of things going on at once. I also have found I am happier and enjoy life if I don’t take on more than I can handle.

Blessings,

I have a “simple” life in that I don’t work, don’t have children, am a stay at home wife, and have all the free time in the world. Sounds great huh? :smiley: It is and I am truly blessed! But that being said, I have many chronic illnesses that keep my life pretty um “interesting.” :wink:

So simple…yet certainly not carefree. :wink: I have enough spare time on my hands to make me totally crazy at times, but my body just doesn’t seem to cooperate and I can’t do most of the things I want to do, or had hoped to do in life. So I have the will, and certainly the time, but not the way. :stuck_out_tongue:

I certainly don’t have a simple life, but I don’t really feel called to a simple life either. I am happiest when I am busy and slightly stressed but not overwhelmed. God made me for a challenging life, and that is what He has given me. The simplicity in my life isn’t in having a problem-free life, but in trusting God not to give me more than I can handle unless He intends for me to fail, as part of His greater plan. It’s my job to do my best, and to take what I am given and return it gratefully to God.

It helps me to look at how many saints did not have simple lives. St. Gianna had a medical practice, 3 children, a husband, and a difficult pregnancy all at the same time. St. Rita had a severely abusive husband. Even Mother Mary and St. Joseph seem to have been in a complicated situation for the birth of Jesus. True holiness doesn’t come from having a simple life, but from living in a complicated world with holy simplicity.

So, no simple life here, my life has a lot of problems and is pretty complicated. But I’m still content. I spend a lot of time thinking about my problems and trying to work through them (some people would call this “worrying”, but it’s usually very productive time for me so I call it “problem solving”). I also have a number of days where I don’t feel like I have any problems, because I know that I’ve done everything I should for the problems I do have and know my time would be better spent in the present than in the possible future. Provided the present doesn’t involve spending money, 'cuz we don’t got none to spare :wink: Ah well, this recession won’t last forever, but the frugality skillz I’m gaining will last a lifetime!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.