Does anyone know about A/C thermostats?

We recently had to replace our Carrier AC thermostat that we use to have set at 79 degrees F. It was replaced with a Honeywell digital unit and it now has to be set at 75 to 76 degrees F in order for us to be comfortable. We live in Orlando, Florida. We called the AC guy back and he replaced the Honeywell with another and still the same thing, we still have to set it low to be comfortable. WE don’t want a high electric bill.

He is willing to put another brand thermostat in and we don’t know what brand to tell him to put in. I called another company to see if we should put in another Carrier, but they said that Carrier doesn’t make their own but subtract out and honeywell could be making theirs as well. Honeywell’s is made in Mexico or in China. They admit that some are made bad. I called another AC company for they had left a message on my machine for an annual maintance, but I had already gone with this other man and asked this company and they recommended RiteTemp thermostat, but when my husband went to get it at Home Depot, the man there said they are no good and Honeywell is much better. I am totally confused and don’t know who to trust. I just don’t want a high electric bill.

The man who put the thermostat in thinks that my old thermostat was wrong from the beginning, but since new, I have always in the summer set it at 79 degrees F and the house was cold for we have a 4 ton AC unit.

Does anyone know anything about thermostats? Which one is better? Is it normal to have such a large amount of degree difference between my old thermostat and my new one?

The thermostat is pretty irrelevant… all it does is compare the room temperature to the setting and then trigger A/C if it gets above the setting. Just because your old Carrier thermostat was set at 79degF to be “comfortable”, that doesn’t mean that it was *actually *79degF in your house… it may have been broken and really been keeping your house colder than you think. (I’m in Orlando too and I don’t think 79degF would *ever *be “comfortable”, but that’s just me… we barely tolerate 77degF).

The newer digital thermostats are nice because you can schedule it to turn off when you’re gone during the day. That’s the main advantage. The temperature “trigger points” aren’t going to change your power bill since you’re just comparing your “comfort” levels.

I would use a totally separate thermometer to gauge the temperature where you are “comfortable”… see if that correlates with your new thermostat. Most likely the new ones are working just fine at the 79degF trigger point on the old one was false. I’d trust the Home Depot guys. :wink:

HTH! :slight_smile:

I was also thinking that your old one was wrong.

I would use a totally separate thermometer to gauge the temperature where you are “comfortable”… see if that correlates with your new thermostat. **Most likely the new ones are working just fine at the 79degF trigger point on the old one was false. **

I’d trust the Home Depot guys.

I can’t imagine being comfortable at 79 degrees indoors?! My AC here in the summer is set to 74 at the highest.

I don’t think it matters what thermostat you have. The bill is going to be determined by how much electricity you use, and that is going to be determined by how cool you want your house.

If you’re comfortable with some temperature, it doesn’t really matter what a particular thermostat measures it to be, what matters is that regardless of the number of the display the AC is going to have to use electricity to get that value.

So if you’re comfortable at the same level, and one thermostat says it’s 79 and the other says it’s 76 it’s still the same level (unless of course what youre comfortable with changes with different thermostats), and the same amount of electricity will be used.

I think you should look at your kilowatt usage on your electric bill before jumping to conclusions. The older style thermostats may not be as accurate as the digital thermostats.

See if your bill changes substantially (compare to same month prior year) and then make a decision regarding the need for a different thermostat.

My DH selected a Braeburn thermostat when we renovated 3 years ago.

What is wrong with you? I cannot keep my A/C below 80 (usually set at 82) or I get too cold. :slight_smile:

Our house was cold at 79 degrees believe it or not. When my husband put it at 78 degrees, I was too cold. He liked it at 78 degrees, but was okay if the fans were on at 79 degrees. We had our old thermostat, which also was digital, for 8 years and it was working just fine. Like I said, they think it was hit by lightening. That is when it started to fail and go up and down on its own in temperature.

What I will do is wait until I get my first electric bill. If it is outrageous than this thermostat is set too low. On our bill, it always tells us what we paid last year at the same time of the month and so I will be able to compare. But I do know of some neighbors who do have their thermostat set at 79 and some even higher in the summer and still stay cool. But I will wait for my first bill since the installation of this thermostat.

That’s the million dollar question!! :stuck_out_tongue: heck if I know. Thing is, I do feel chilly sometimes and put a blanket on, kids look at me like I’m nuts because it 90 outside, 74 inside, and I’m covered with a blanket.:shrug: but in winter I don’t like the therm over 70, go figure.:shrug::whacky:

My wife is originally from Wisconsin and she would do exactly what you do, keep the A/C low and then use a blanket. I grew up without the use of A/C and the only time that I really love it is when I get in the car in the hot Texas summer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.