Does anyone out there hae one of those new ceramic-lined frying pans?

Are they any good? I need to replace my old scratched up Teflon pans.

Here’s a ‘try it out’ post by one of my favorite food bloggers about ceramic cookware…at KitchenStewardship.…plus she’s Catholic :wink:

I’ve been wondering about these too, so thanks for asking and making me look further into it!

We have a ceramic skillet, but we won’t after this weekend when I have a chance to take it back. Just like the videos at the store show, when we first got it it worked amazingly well. The first two eggs we cooked on it didn’t stick, didn’t need oil and cooked perfectly. The third egg stuck a bit, the fourth (with oil) a bit more, and by the end of the first week it had gotten so bad that the eggs started sticking to it before we even cracked them.

And it’s not that they stick a little; they stick entirely and completely. What good is a skillet if half your egg is left in the bottom? I didn’t realize how utterly and completely stickable this thing was the first time I used it. I was making two sunny side up eggs for my wife and I. I could see how horribly they were sticking as soon as they went in. When I tried to get them up with my spatula and all I could do was make cuts in the surface of the egg while the rest of it remained adhered to the pan, I called my wife for help. When she came into the kitchen, I was holding the skillet upside down, shaking it over a plate. The eggs didn’t budge. When my wife said, “Oh, you can’t cook sunny side up eggs in that thing,” I decided to turn them into scrambled eggs. I skimmed the egg across the pan with my spatula. All that did was leave a smear of stuck, rapidly burning egg matter at the bottom of the skillet. I angrily told my wife that if she didn’t take over, I was going to throw the skillet through the front window. She managed to salvage our breakfast by adding some olive oil and a couple more eggs, but the end result of those 4 eggs was still less than the mass of two eggs.

I’ve only used it once since then. I coated the skillet with butter, then poured in a tablespoon or two of olive oil, let it heat up for a minute or two, then finally added my eggs. They stuck instantly. However, once I coated the bottom of the skillet with those eggs, the next two I put in only stuck about as bad as in a rusty, uncured, overly hot cast iron skillet.

This thing is likely the worst investment I’ve made when it comes to kitchen gadgets and cookware, and that includes the toaster oven that burst into flames the first time we used it. I’d save your money for something more useful, like a box full of fleas or suitcase full of dead batteries.

My Mom just got a set of the “nonstick” ceramic-lined saute pans as a gift from my brother and sister-in-law. Mom was not impressed by the alleged “nonstick” performance of the pans and expressed a concern that over time, the ceramic surface will stain. However, the pans weigh relatively little, have even heating and silicone, heat-stopping handles.

It’s a trend like the Kyocera ceramic knives. Yes, they are sharp, but they do not last.

Nope. I only buy Calphalon, All Clad, or LeCreuset. Quality pans last forever. I’ve had mine for years and years.

I use the ceramic Scanpans. They are phenomenal. I can cook scrambled eggs and just rinse any residue off. Never sticks. Been using them 3 years!

m.surlatable.com/product/PRO-642322/Scanpan-CTX-Nonstick-Skillets

The heavy cast iron pans from Aldis, imitation LeCreuset at a 10th of the price, perform even better than LeCreuset. We love them.

Give me good old, well seasoned cast iron any day over one of those new fangled “non-stick” contraptions.

After looking at some of those prices, I’ll stick to my copper-clad Revere Ware, some of which have been in continuous use for over 50 years!:smiley:

My LeCreuset French Oven is one of my favourite kitchen items. It has served my well for 10 years now. Great on the stovetop or in the oven, and easy to clean.

Would you take it in stride if I said your entire post gave me a bit of a laugh?

I’m sorry - I emphasize with your frustration - but the visuals I was getting as you described your ordeal . . . . .shaking an upside-down pan, hacking at it with a spatula, throwing it through the window. . . . .it sounded like a comedy skit! :D:o

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

:smiley: I can laugh about it now (mostly), but I was pretty angry at the time. I told my wife she could pick the next skillet.

Mr. Sims, any husband who will cook breakfast for his wife deserves the best pan possible. I hope that you find one. I have never found a non-stick pan that really worked. I try to cook without much fat so I use PAM, but I just end up with a buildup of black stuff on the bottom of the pan. It can be removed by dissolving Polident denture cleaner in the pan, but you have to do this several times if the buildup is great. When we move back to the States, I am going to buy some of that special cleaner to remove burned on residue from baking pans which can be found kitchen supply stores, and try that. I can’t get it here in Italy, and we can’t ship liquids or chemicals through the Diplomatic Post.

I was happy with our old Teflon pan, but it got a bit too old and wasn’t as non-stick as it needed to be. The stainless steel pans can do in a pinch, but I want another non-stick pan. We may try an anodized skillet next. We went a few years without a non-stick pan and I can’t stand cooking eggs in something that’s not.

Another fan of LeCreuset here. They are rather heavy for some though.

My Mom keeps a separate one for omelettes and only ever wipes it out with paper kitchen roll after use (apparently that’s the done thing with omelette pans, but I always like to clean mine properly). It’s been used years and years and the non-stick seems as good as new, so perhaps there is something in it.

I threw modern out the window two years ago. I prefer good, old cast iron. You know what you’re getting, and it’s performance will never go down over the years. In fact, I’d say that cast iron actually improves with age and regular use.

I’ll probably be thinking about a new skillet before too long so this is an interesting thread. I’d be very tempted to go back to cast iron…but my wife bought a ceramic top stove when we had our house built and I would be concerned about wrecking that surface…:shrug:

Anyway - I’m curious about the specific product being discussed. When we say ceramic…are we talking about the green coated ones?

Peace
James

My family bought the green ceramic-coated skillets. We found that they worked very well for a while (not as good as they did on TV, but still OK) except for the metal bolts that hold the handle on; those aren’t non-stick and have to be scrubbed every time. We’ve had them for perhaps a year and they don’t seem to work anymore, they’re just like regular skillets, they need sprayed before cooking and soaked afterward.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.