Does Baptism Wash Away All Sin and RCIA

1st, does baptism wash away ALL sin (original, venial, mortal)? I think so, but just making sure. 2nd And, for all of you who have done RCIA, 1st confession should and is done AFTER or BEFORE baptism? I think it makes more sense after because the person wouldn't be baptized, received communion, confirmation before. Thanks to all answers and God Bless!!

Baptism washes away all sin. You don’t need to go to confession if you are being baptized. In fact, confession has no effect before you are baptized.

BTW, this thread belongs to the Liturgy and Sacraments Forum, not on Traditional Catholicism

I don’t know how to put it there.

Baptism removes ALL sin.

Everyone in our RCIA program (those already baptised [in my case I was a Methodist] and those who were not baptised had their first Confession on the Saturday (the day before we became Catholic).

Wish Bible verse supports the quote below?:slight_smile:

“The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.” Words of Our Lady Of Fatima.

You are off-topic. If you want to discuss this then start a new thread. Clearly you don’t understand what you quoted.

You can only be baptized once. When you are baptized it washes away all sins, original, venial, mortal. The temporal and eternal punishments of sin are remitted. But we sin often enough and will start to accumulate new consequences as time goes on after baptism.

There are two sets of people who in common practice are lumped into an “RCIA class”, those who have been baptized already, and those who haven’t. Those who haven’t do not go to confession before they receive all three sacraments of initiation on Easter Vigil. Those who have will go to confession before they receive Confirmation or Eucharist.

Am I the only one who opened this thread wondering if the OP was going to ask if baptism washes away RCIA? I wanted to see the responses to that one. :hmmm:

[quote="larsont7, post:8, topic:291236"]
Am I the only one who opened this thread wondering if the OP was going to ask if baptism washes away RCIA? I wanted to see the responses to that one. :hmmm:

[/quote]

:D Okay, I'll take a stab at that.

No, baptism does not fully wash away RCIA because most RCIA programs have classes after baptism takes place, and they call this period of time "mystagogy". :p:D

:D:D:D

First confession is AFTER baptism. Baptism washes away all sins, therefore there is no need to confess before you are baptized. :)

See my post #4. First Confession was the day BEFORE we officially became Catholic.

Obviously, you’re proof that something that shouldn’t be happening still happens. I hope they explained that there was no point to it, since a non-baptized person cannot receive a sacrament.

Sometimes I wonder if those facilitating this process are actually qualified to do so. Have they actually read the RCIA book? There are many rituals before you are baptized but confession isn’t one of them.

[quote="thistle, post:12, topic:291236"]
See my post #4. First Confession was the day BEFORE we officially became Catholic.

[/quote]

No, it wasn't.

Baptism is the gateway to all other sacraments. It is not possible to receive the sacrament of reconciliation if you are not baptized.

You simulated confession and this was a grave abuse on the part of the RCIA director or whoever thought up sending catechumens to confession. It was not grave on your part, since you did not know any better.

It would have been appropriate for the RCIA diretor and priest to have you practice confession for after you are baptized-- go in, say the prayers, have father say "now this is what I will do next...", etc. But, it would need to be (a) very clear this is not an actual confession and (b) the priest should not say words of absolution. Showing you how to confess is fine. Sending unbaptized people into confession as if it were an actual sacrament, not fine.

What if you are baptized Catholic, leave, and get re-baptized in another denomination. . .
does that baptism wash away all past sins or does it have no effect because you’ve already been baptized and its an indelible mark and therefore, confession is what is really needed?

that is not an actual baptism. It has no effect. You simply get wet.

Your second part is correct. We get baptized once and the sacrament leaves an idelible mark on our souls. All sins are forgiven at that moment. Any other attempt to baptize after that has no effect other than, as 1ke so aptly put it, you get wet.

Peace

Tim

Unfortunately, I’ve seen the order of sacraments be wrong before. The person in charge gets it wrong. I’m sorry this happened to your RCIA classmates. You were Methodist, though, and already baptized, so the order was correct for you.

Does anyone know a better spot in the CCC to quote than below?

1213 Holy Baptism is …] the door which gives access to the other sacraments.

[quote="thistle, post:12, topic:291236"]

[/quote]

But you were already baptized by a different denomination then, right? Its not like you were an unbaptized pagan. If there is baptism, there is no need for confession before. Like I said, confession has no effect because one is not baptized. One is unable to receive Sacramental Grace if one is not baptized. Now, if you are validly baptized by another Christian denomination, then yes you will go to confession the day before you are officially received in the Catholic Church. But only because you are already a baptized Christian.

But his point was that everyone in his RCIA process was made to go to confession, both candidates and catechumens. I’ve heard of that happening in more than one parish. Doesn’t make it right, but it is happening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.