Does being in a state of mortal sin make sacraments invalid

I think I may have been in a state of mortal sin when I received First Communion (age 9) and even more for confirmation (age 12). We were not properly catechised and what teaching we got was very liberal and vague however I think I knew what mortal sin was. Did I recieve the sacraments validly?

Mortal sin does not make the reception of a sacrament invalid (and besides, invalidity is not a question for those receiving; it’s for the one consecrating, namely, the priest).

Receiving one of the Sacraments of the Living (Eucharist, Confirmation, Matrimony, Holy Orders and, normatively, the Anointing of the Sick) in a state of mortal sin is objective sacrilege, and one who knowingly and willingly does so commits a further mortal sin. But the Sacrament itself is valid.

No one here can determine the state of your soul, now or at that time, so we will more than likely reserve judgment. But no matter. IF (big IF) you received Communion in a state of mortal sin, it is not a question of valid or invalid. It’s whether you committed sacrilege or not.

It says in this guide to confirmation that one has to be in astate of grace:confused:
Every baptized person whoisnotyetconfirmed,andonly suchaperson,iscapableofreceivingconfirmation.Inorder toreceiveconfirmationlicitlyoutsidethedangerofdeath,it is required that a baptized person who has the use of reason be suitably instructed, properly disposed, and able to renew thebaptismalpromises.(Can.889,§1-2).Likewise,the confirmandmustbeinastateofgrace

A state of being in a mortal sin does not effect validity of Confirmation.

There are things that can prevent validity …but that is not one of em.

If you say refused confirmation etc - well talk with your Priest…

But no a mortal sin does not effect validity.

And if validly received in such a state…the Sacrament of Confirmation “revives” once the person has repented and confessed and returned to a state of grace.

Yes. One should certainly be in a state of grace. However, if one is not in a state of grace, the sacrament is still valid.

What is says is that to receive it licitly one should be in a state of grace. That is not the same thing as validly. Licitly means “following the law”. So in normal circumstances, one should be in a state of grace. If one isn’t, then one receives the graces upon going to confession and being absolved.

I can’t help but think there might be a touch of scruples going on here. I mean, really, you are now convinced you were in MORTAL SIN right before first communion and even MORE at age 12? I doubt it.

Correct.

But it does not affect validity. It IS an unworthy, sacrilegious reception and constitutes an additional mortal sin, but the Sacrament is validly received. Its graces kick in one the person confesses and is absolved.

This is not to say YOU were in a state of mortal sin. Bring it to your confessor, but assuming you’ve since confessed and were absolved, it’s all fine. If you think you need to bring this to confession do so, but only a a forgotten instance of a possible sin. It does NOT mean your Confirmation was invalid.

No. You commit sacrilege and the graces from that sacrament are held until you make a good confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.