Does benectine cross ward off evil?

I just bought a Benedictine cross (St Benedict) and I’m wondering if someone can tell me the significance of it. I got it for its look, but I think I remember hearing it can ward off evil? If someone knows, please respond. thanks!

The Benedictine Cross is a most holy sacramental! I wear one with my scapular and have several others.

In truth it is God who wards off evil, however He does so through a variety of means and this holy cross is an excellent source for warding off evil! Have it blessed by a holy Benedictine priest. Wear it always and treat it with due respect as a holy sacramental. Develop a prayer life that includes conversations with St. Benedict. Seek his intercession through this holy sacramental. This holy sacramental is a very reliable source of protection.

What is a benidictine cross, is it the same a crucifix? please excuse my arogance as im what might call a lay catholic. and i mean lay as in i’ve been christend and thats it. but i have only regained true faith in god. i’ve really never stopped believing in him… but i thought it was time to stop just saying that " yeah i;m a christian" and that was it. and start letting god take a more active role in my life.

a Benedictine Cross is a crucifix, and embedded in the center is a two-sided medal with an image of St. Benedict on one side, and a cross with an acronym on the other side. the wording on the medal includes the motto of the Benedictines, and a prayer of exorcism (for deliverance from evil and the influence of Satan). the medal was struck by a previous pope as a jubilee medal. there is a complete explanation of the medal and its significance in the package when it is sold.

You cannot purchase a blessing, that is forbidden and is considered simony to attempt it. Once you purchase this or any sacramental you request a blessing on it from a priest to signify that it is used as an aid for devotion and spiritual progress focused on Christ. The article has no power by itself, but the blessing does because it comes from Christ through those enjoying apostolic succession. The particular blessing associated with this medal was permitted by that pope for Benedictine priests, and includes and exorcism which is a very powerful prayer of the Church. That remains with you as long as the medal is on your person or near you - purse, car, etc.

while you cannot purchase a blessing, you can make a donation to a religious order, and receive as a thank you give a sacramental such as a rosary or medal which has been blessed. the monetary value of the item is far less than the donation, so you are not paying for a blessing. also, as with a monastery near us, the sisters purchase the items in bulk, then ask the monks to bless them, then later make them available for others, who reimburse the sisters for the initial cost of the item. again, you are not technically paying for a blessing, but for the object itself.

the reason the exorcism is associated with St Benedict and his medal is that several times evil monks who objected to his enforcement of their rule and its moral norms, attempted to kill him by poison, which was thwarted by miraculous intervention.

Even sacrementals are not a end-all. I have a benedictine Cross on my homemade Rosary blessed by the Pope at WYD, and by other Priest I know and I still have nightmares…
…so I guess I don’t really have much faith in it.

we do not place our faith in objects or in people, we place our faith in Jesus Christ. to judge the efficacy of a prayer, devotion or pious practice based on isolated personal experience is the least authentic judgement. the benefit of such a blessing or devotion comes from Jesus Christ, through those he ordained to bless and sanctify. they are not magic charms to ward off evil, they protect the soul from the effects of evil, when used piously, in conjunction with a moral life, obedience to God’s laws and submission to God’s will.

thanks, all for your replies. i’d like to point out that i probably should have been clearer in my original post: i didn’t actually mean that the piece of metal shaped like a cross has any “power.” i fully understand that all power comes from and through Jesus Christ. i guess what i meant to ask was, “does Jesus Christ bestow any grace upon those who make the practice of wearing the benedictine cross?”

thanks for your responses, theyve helped!

God bless,
UK

Hello, there is a link on my sig that was Papal approved on spiritual warfare.You might find it helpful.God Bless

[quote=UKcatholicGuy]I just bought a Benedictine cross (St Benedict) and I’m wondering if someone can tell me the significance of it. I got it for its look, but I think I remember hearing it can ward off evil? If someone knows, please respond. thanks!
[/quote]

When you have a Benedictine medal the special blessing for it can only be done by a Benedictine priest upon your request for it specifically.

[quote=HagiaSophia]When you have a Benedictine medal the special blessing for it can only be done by a Benedictine priest upon your request for it specifically.
[/quote]

This was true at one time, but this special grace has been recently extended to all priests. But I personally prefer the blessing of a holy Benedictine priest, although I recognize that all priests have this capacity (my medal was blessed by a priest at St. Vincent’s Benedictine Archabbey in Latrobe, PA, who, nevertheless, reminded me that ANY priest can now bless these medals, including the exorcism component). But the priest must use the proper form proscribed for this purpose.

[quote=DavidFilmer]This was true at one time, but this special grace has been recently extended to all priests. But I personally prefer the blessing of a holy Benedictine priest, although I recognize that all priests have this capacity (my medal was blessed by a priest at St. Vincent’s Benedictine Archabbey in Latrobe, PA, who, nevertheless, reminded me that ANY priest can now bless these medals, including the exorcism component). But the priest must use the proper form proscribed for this purpose.
[/quote]

I had not heard that at all–when did that occur? Would you happen to have an online reference for that…?

Like yourself, I think I’ll just stay with the Benedictines but I would really be interested in seeing when and why.

[quote=HagiaSophia]I had not heard that at all–when did that occur? Would you happen to have an online reference for that…?

Like yourself, I think I’ll just stay with the Benedictines but I would really be interested in seeing when and why.
[/quote]

This presents itself on Google (including the text, “*Medals of Saint Benedict are sacramentals that may be blessed legitimately by any priest or deacon – not necessarily a Benedictine (Instr., 26 Sept. 1964; Can. 1168).” *osb.org/gen/medal.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.