Does Breviary skip parts of book of Apocalypse?

I noticed it seemed to skip from Chapter 5 (read yesterday) to Chapter 15 (today). Is there a particular reason for that and are those chapters picked up later in the liturgical year?

It also edits a lot of the psalms. Just an observation but point seem to be to remove references to going to hell. Kinda like mentions of hell have for most part been removed from the mass. The church today seems to want Christ without the cross.

I don’t think any book of the Bible, including Psalms, is completely read in the LotH, or in the Mass reading cycles either. Last year I read the Bible using “The Bible in a Year.” The daily readings were significantly longer than the OOR.

2 Likes

One thing to note is that until the 1969 changes, every single one of the Psalms were completely prayed in the LOTH in just one week (assuming one prayed every office).

Today, a few Psalms were removed and a few verses removed too.

The reason given, was the reformers wanted the LOTH to become a public worship each week with the Laity in almost every single parish around the world. Obviously, that really didn’t catch on.

However, the reformers felt that some Psalms and verses required Catechesis to properly understand (aka the ones with the curses) - esp the first time someone read/prayed them. So instead of expecting priests to give a short homily on them once a month, the reformers felt it was best to remove those verses from the LOTH.

Now, whether that decision was a good idea in hindsight is arguable. However, I understand what they were thinking.

God Bless

Leaving aside the constant and never-ending debate over whether the pre-conciliar office is ‘better’ than the post-conciliar office because of its inclusion of the cursing psalms (to say nothing of the ‘moar psalms every day!’ argument), it is worth noting that the pre-conciliar breviary does not not read through the entirety of Revelation either. The purpose of the office is not really lectio continua; I don’t think there are any circumstances in either the old or new office in which the breviary does this. It isn’t really the point, so to speak.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.