Does Buddhism believe in solipsism?

1. Buddhism teaches that the world we live in is an illusion
  2. Buddhism teaches our judgement of the world is misguided
  3. Buddhism teaches our sense perceptions are misguided
  4. Buddhism teaches there is no duality
  5. Buddhism teaches there is no ‘self’

So isn’t that solipsism?

I don’t know a whole lot about solipsism, but according to Google, this is solipsism: the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.
Since Buddhism teaches that there is no ‘self’, I don’t think that would be solipsism.

No, because they do believe in an external reality.

How can external reality exist without duality?

Non dualism means that we are all connected to each other and to creation.

In Christianity, we also add that we are all connected to the Divine as well as each other and to creation.

Dualism separates the believer from the discursive “others,” and is often the source of racism, wars and other forms of hatred.

Jim

So the Buddhist would agree I’m not just talking to myself on here? You all actually do exist? Just that there is no distinction between me and you?

Buddhist don’t teach that the world we live in isn’t real. but our perceptions distort reality and the false reality we perceive creates the illusion.

Jim

If non-duality were true, wouldn’t that mean we would all be enlightened since we are one in the same with Buddha and everyone else who achieved enlightenment over the years?

If there is non-duality, why are only some parts of the ONE WHOLE enlightened while the others are not? If one was enlightened, the rest would have to be too since they are all connected and are all one.

To say that there is only one ultimate thing is not to say that there is only one awareness.

If there is no self how can there be solipsism?
Solipsism by definition is the theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

From solus = alone, and ipse = self.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.