Does catholic church require you to have civil marriage as well?

To me it’s like, the only marriage i see as valid is one done in a church. Civil marriage is just blah. But that isn’t the question haha. The question is; when you are going through a catholic marriage do they “require” you to do the civil also then, like the state marriage license right then. What if you wanted to just do the sacrament of marriage without filling out the paper for the government haha! So pretty much the government doesn’t know, just you your spouse the priest God and the witnesses, till you decide to finally fill out that paper and turn it in. Idk i started thinking about it and it got me wondering! why would you really need to report it? i mean if there was no government people would still be getting married. thats how they did it back in the day! if the government ever wanted to know who are the people that are important in your life they just look at your file. Even safety reasons thats pretty scary. haha weird questions but it just got me going.

i know the reasons why people do the civil marriage also it makes sense, also helps avoid issues whatever. but civil also has its down sides.

Well, first and foremost, I doubt you'll find a priest that will marry you without the paper work. Second, no state or government agency is going to recognize you as married without the paperwork. Which brings us to the "so what" of it all. Marriage brings with it over 1,000 potential federal benefits.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:2, topic:193534"]
Well, first and foremost, I doubt you'll find a priest that will marry you without the paper work. Second, no state or government agency is going to recognize you as married without the paperwork. Which brings us to the "so what" of it all. Marriage brings with it over 1,000 potential federal benefits.

[/quote]

The OP's question was asked a while back in a situation that did have potential benefits. That is, for two people in the US who are retired. The benefit would be that their SS income would not be reduced. They did not want to "Live in sin" but couldn't afford to lose the income.

The answer basicaly boiled down to this. It is illegal for anyone to perform a marriage ceremony without properly reporting it. That includes priests.

Peace
James

[quote="Lizzygator, post:1, topic:193534"]
To me it's like, the only marriage i see as valid is one done in a church. Civil marriage is just blah. But that isn't the question haha. The question is; when you are going through a catholic marriage do they "require" you to do the civil also then, like the state marriage license right then.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church is required to, and does, follow the law in whatever country the marriage is being performed.

What if you wanted to just do the sacrament of marriage without filling out the paper for the government haha! So pretty much the government doesn't know, just you your spouse the priest God and the witnesses, till you decide to finally fill out that paper and turn it in.

[/quote]

I do not know of any country that allows this.

Idk i started thinking about it and it got me wondering! why would you really need to report it?

[/quote]

It is the law.

i mean if there was no government people would still be getting married. thats how they did it back in the day!

[/quote]

(1) If there were no government, then there would be no civil regulation on marriage and the Church law would take precedence.

(2) You are incorrect that there was "no law" and "that's how they did it back in the day." There certainly were laws on marriage "back in the day." Depending upon what "day" you refer to, that would be Roman laws, or Church laws, or national laws.

Does anyone know of any statistics as to how many interracial marriages the Catholic Church performed back when that was illegal without notifying the government?

This is a little different than the OP's question, but someone mentioned something in one of the responses.

I have a friend who was married by an ordained minister -- I believe it was Baptist, but I can't swear to that. They were not married in a church ceremony but outside and they did not have a civil ceremony with it -- there is no legally-recognized legal marriage. I do not know what ramifications, if any, this has on their marriage; but I did talk to her before they had the "wedding" and told her that she needed to be prepared to not have a legally-binding marriage and all the pitfalls that that could entail. She said she understood and was fine with it.

It's possible, under certain circumstances. In Mexico, the 'civil' marriage and paperwork is separate from the 'church' ( ie, state officials have to sign the civil marriage docs, priest signs the parish marriage docs), especially when both are citizens of the USA. I know because we got married in the 'church' (in Mexico, at Our Lady's Shrine), and since we live in Texas, we had to have a Texas marriage License.

In all states in the USA, the priest is 'authorized'/ required to sign the 'civil' marriage license in and for the state/county you get married.

Another way to look at it is like this:

The Church requires you to obey legitimate civil authorities and laws, so long as they do not conflict with the moral requirements of the Church. The law requires a marriage certificate issued by the state. This law is not contrary to the moral requirements of the Church. Therefore, you are required to obey it.

i guess in all countries that recognize the Catholic Church, any marriage within the Church is also a valid civil marriage. you have to get the paperwork done before the wedding, and the priest is a recognized minister of the marriage for legal purposes. so he can sign the papers as well and those are forwarded to your city hall or respective government agency that handles these affairs

i’m not sure how this would apply to countries like China or Muslim-states

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.