Does Christ live in the hearts of man?

My husband wanted me to ask a question. He was talking to an ex-catholic (now protestant) about the catholic church, and the way my husband understood him was - that catholics may not believe that Christ lives in the hearts of man, only in the tabernacle. Is this true? I would appreciate any comments and clarification on this. Thanks,
Tracie

Jesus can live where he wants! Yes, I walk with Jesus in my heart. I’m sure that my fellow Catholics feel the same way. The great thing about Jesus is that he doesn’t have to stay in one place.

Hi Tracie, and welcome to the forums. Jesus lives in my heart. The person who told your husband that doesn’t understand Catholic teaching, perhaps that’s why he’s an “ex” Catholic.

Your husband’s “friend” is off-base. From the Catechism:

787 From the beginning, Jesus associated his disciples with his own life, revealed the mystery of the Kingdom to them, and gave them a share in his mission, joy, and sufferings.215 Jesus spoke of a still more intimate communion between him and those who would follow him: "Abide in me, and I in you. . . . I am the vine, you are the branches."216 And he proclaimed a mysterious and real communion between his own body and ours: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him."217

If this “friend” persists, your DH needs to tell him to prove it. If Catholics are fobidden to believe this, show you where this is documented.

Thanks so much for the clarification!! That was just the way my husband was understanding him, he could have misunderstood, but he wanted me to ask. Also, this guy still loves the catholic church, but decided to leave and i’m not sure on all the reasons why. But, I can’t speak bad of him. He’s a good man and is very sick and they haven’t given him much time. So, please keep him in your prayers!!
Thanks again,
Tracie

He lives in our hearts if we let him in. Anyone who commits mortal sins is rejecting God’s love and thus shutting Jesus out. Repentence and Sacrament of Reconciliation lets him back in.

Hello tracie001 welcome to the forums. Your husband’s friend does not understand the faith. Tom is probably correct in that he didn’t know what he was leaving behind by becoming an “ex”.

Christ is everywhere spiritually because He is part of the Trinity. The Trinity as God holds everything in existence and is the cause of everything. This is why we can say that God is everywhere. He holds things together. His spiritual presence can be received also in scripture and prayer, worship and praise. However, as Catholics, we have the unique opportunity to receive Him in a physical presence in the Eucharist. It is my hope that all people will have their spirits open to the wonderful possibilities of receiving Jesus this special way some day. The Church will be so much better then.

mdcpensive1

Your husband would do good by staying in contact with this fellow. Since he loves the Church as his death approaches he may well become open to confessing his sins, returning to the Church, and being anointed. We had an older person in our town who expressed a desire to return to the Church. Before this could be accomplished she became quite ill and in a coma. Knowing her desire our pastor anointed her a very few hours before she died and headed heavenward. She never came out of the coma.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.