Does Christmas Mass make you feel like a kid again?

I was having a discussion with a friend about the beauty of Midnight Mass and how much I enjoy it every year. He commented that Midnight Mass makes him feel like a kid again. I had to agree. I don’t know what it is about that particular Mass, but the carols and the beauty of the decorated church remind me of Christmases of long, long ago.

Do you reminisce about your childhood during/after Christmas Mass?

Yes, it actually does now that you mention it! I remember in particular O Come All Ye Faithful. And having to dress up. Back in the day when mass seemed like a redundant chore… things are different now. NO, I am not a child (why did I pick this username? I’m not a child!).:rolleyes:

Not so much anymore. And by Christmas next year, I’m not sure I will at all. :shrug:

Definately. It was more or less the only Mass I attended as a child.

Mass has been a continuum of love for me since my First.
Kid feeling:confused:

Yes, I love the Midnight Mass BUT I’m getting old enough now that I can hardly function for 3 days afterwards. :slight_smile:

No.

Yes, although I can’t imagine how my parents took us to midnight mass, came home, made hot cocoa, unwrapped the new pajamas, sent us to bed, then stayed up to assemble and/or wrap the presents for the ten of us!!! Since age 30 I’ve just been trying to stay awake thru midnight mass so I can get home and go straight to sleep.

But the music, the ritual, the incense and candles, the manger, the evergreens, the families, the warm church against the cold night, the little children looking tired, moody, antsy, or entranced…very nostalgic.

I wish it did, but I grew up with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny - not Jesus. :frowning:

Totally and completely agree !!! :thumbsup: I am hoping to go with Catholic relatives to midnight Mass while they are here in town. I have to admit I do enjoy it. :slight_smile:

Midnight Mass when I was a kid meant a Solemn High Mass; and as I hit the age of being a server I went through the positions of candle bearer (6 of us, or at least until one might pass out and be hustled out of the sanctuary), server, thurifer, and finally in high school, Master of Ceremonies. That, however, was not my focus so much as later (college seminary) when I considered either becoming a Benedictine (missed my calling, I think from time to time) or a Trappist.

Since sometime I think in college, our family has been attending Midnight Mass at the Trappist abbey in Lafayette, Oregon. From Mass behind a grill, with a small door about 18" x 18" through which we received Communion, to no grill and overflow sitting in the monks’ choir, to a new church in a cross formation with the altar in the center of the cross, with the monks’ choir on one side and the laity on the other.

Their censor has no lid on it; a bowl about the size of a tennis ball and they do make serious use of it - I keep watching every time I go to Mass there for some incense or embers to come flying out of the bowl.

One year of serious ice and snow (hey - this is in Oregon!), with power out literally for miles, I was one of a handful of people who made it to the abbey, and with no power, they had Midnight Mass in the refectory to candle light, and no organ to accompany.

A kid? Perhaps not a kid, but still wondering if I really had a call to be a monk.

Every Mass should make you feel like a kid. After all, the opening response of the Mass (at least in the EF) are “Ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam” (To God who gladdens my youth).

:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.