Does coffee with cream break a fast?

I am with a secular Carmelite order and there are several feast days per year which are preceded by a fast. December 14th being the feast of St. John of the Cross, that means today is such a fast day.

Regardless of whether it comes on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday or within the schedule of any secular order, does drinking coffee with cream break the fast?

I typically have coffee when I first wake up and I have it with cream. I eat breakfast later. Should I be skipping the cream and/or the coffee?

If you don’t get to this until after December 13th, I would still like to know the answer to the question. Thanks!

Dear L et V,

Even coffee without cream breaks the one hour Eucharistic fast. But it does not break the fast on a day of fast and abstinence. It can be considered part of one of the light meals and certainly part of the main meal.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.