Does conscience, for the Catholic, trump all?

(1) i am not a Catholic

(2) in a discussion w/ a Catholic today he said this (in an email; i am literally extracting [cut and paste] from it)
(2a) " … What I was saying is the offical church’s teaching comes down to conscience. It overides everything else they teach theology wise … "

(3) Is my friend’s contention in (2a) supra, a true statement, as far as OFFICIAL ROMAN CATHOLIC THEOLOGY is concerned? If so, this would seem to imply – to me at least – that, per this position, you can believe pretty much whatever you want and still consider yourself a good catholic, as long as you have a “good conscience” about it.

(4) thank you.

Hi,

Your friend’s answer does not appear to be complete. Conscience rules only if it is an INFORMED conscience. And Catholics are obliged to inform it with the teachings of the Catholic Church!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states quite succinctly in #1798:

" Faced with a moral choice, conscience can make either a right judgment in accordance with reason and the divine law, or an erroneous judgment that departs from them."

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.