Does contraception culture really lead to sexual assault?

I’ve seen articles about how Pope Paul VI predicted that a contraceptive culture would eventually lead to rampant sexual assault due to people considering sex more of a recreational activity that objectifies the woman.

Isn’t this a bit of a stretch?

Will preventing contraception really put an end to sexual assault?

Weren’t women still victims of sexual assault, misogyny, objectification long before the sexual revolution and The Pill?

Yes. Sexual assault was always hidden under the table or not spoken of. Also, there was the concept “Well, she asked for it.” Perpetual wars break down the spiritual morality of a nation from top to bottom introducing violence to nations on whole. People tend to follow the mores of their leaders. I think there are many factors involved in sexual assaults and violence including the lack or weak punishments of offenders. There must be a list somewhere that gives all the aspects of sexual abuses and/or excuses.

No, it won’t. The two aren’t related. A rapist couldn’t care less about pregnancy and not all sexual assaults can cause pregnancy.

Contraception allows one to use another person, so yes, in a way contraception does lead to sexual assault. If we live in a culture and have an attitude of using women for sex, then we can expect more sexual assault.

If a man finds a woman in a bar, tells her what she wants to hear, uses her for sex, then abandons her… that, in a way, is a form of sexual assault (not in the technical, legal term but in a spiritual way). In this way, yes, contraception opens women up to saying yes in these scenarios. If there was the risk of pregnancy, a woman would be more guarded in her behavior.

Contraception has led to the lie that sex is just for pleasure and has opened us up to using each other as nothing more than sex toys to get our rocks off.

I think people might be misunderstanding the Pope though, because obviously sexual violence existed before contraception and after.

No that isn’t what Pope Paul VI predicted. I would say this is a mischaracterization of what he did actually say. Which you can read for yourself in the encyclical Humanae Vitae.

Correlation is not causation.

The source that inspired this question.

“Another effect that gives cause for alarm is that a man who grows accustomed to the use of contraceptive methods may forget the reverence due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he should surround with care and affection.” HV

We’ve been watching the degradation and exploitation of women in popular culture for decades, but we consoled ourselves with the misbegotten notion that it was just “entertainment.” Then the real-life victims began to speak out, and their numbers and the horrific stories they told are forcing a long-overdue reckoning. Powerful men in every industry have been accused of reducing women - to quote Pope Paul - “to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires.”

In the above excerpt from HV, Pope Paul VI is talking about married couples. The author who wrote the NCR article is taking that reference and applying it to everyone who has sex outside of marriage. That’s a misrepresentation of the text from HV.

It would not need to be made clear that casual sex is made to be even more irresponsible with contraception, because it’s already irresponsible without it.

No, it doesn’t.

You have no reason to be so free with your inaccurate definition of sexual assault, as you do a great disservice to victims of it.

I’m a victim of sexual assault and I don’t mind when people use the word to describe something other than the actual legal form of the word. I mean… I did. Haha.

I am and I do. Sorry.

It’s not sexual assault, regardless. It devalues the actual term itself.

I don’t think it does. Sexual assault falls into sex through coercion as well. So it’s not always about violence, it’s sometimes about subtle manipulation but that’s still assault.

Semantics though.

Contraception doesn’t lead to sexual assault, period. You’re not sexually assaulted because you’re on the pill or have an IUD. You might be because of circumstance, but it has nothing to do with someone being on contraception or not.

And “subtle manipulation” isn’t “assault”, regardless of what you may think.

Not semantics. Definitions. Water down the definition and words become utterly meaningless.

That’s the crux of the whole PC problem. Spades are still spades whether you call them that or not.

Actually… the definition of the word includes coercion/manipulation.

“Sexual assault is an act in which a person sexually touches another person without that person’s consent, or coerces or physically forces a person to engage in a sexual act against their will.”

I didn’t say USING birth control is sexual assault. I do think a culture in which someone can manipulate us and we think: Well, I can’t get pregnant so I may as well take the risk… is dangerous and opens us up to being harmed.

No sterile sex = people making smarter decisions and not being manipulated as easily.

PS: I’ve known countless young women who have had sex with their partners because they feared their partner would leave otherwise. That, to me, falls under coercion. It’s emotional manipulation. And yes, I think these girls would find a way to say no if there was a real fear of pregnancy and consequences. I think they cave because they think: Well… we can’t get pregnant so…

I never defined sexual assault but said sinful actions of contraception can, but not always, lead to other sinful actions like sexual assault. In general a contraceptive mentality will lead to many other sexual sins. That’s my opinion, if yours is different fine, but I’d take the patrimony of the Popes if anything.

No. There was no shortage of sexual assault any time in history. We just have the means to instantly and massively communicate about it.

In a former life I was an Air Force cop. I know what the definition contains.

Oh, yes, and I’m sure sexual assault is a post-OCP invention and never occurred by definition prior.

You’re victim blaming and I don’t even think you’re aware of it.

More like:

Women on birth control getting raped vs. women not on birth control getting raped.

Not to mention that this whole “contraception leads to rape” theory doesn’t account for homosexual rape, pedophilia, elder abuse, incest, etc.

Yeah, having been raped - it assuredly is.

Your definition is woefully diminishing of what the term actually means.

OCPs don’t cause sexual assault. Lay off the borderline victim blaming.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.