Does Darwin's theory of evolution contradict Catholicsm?

Actually, I got my wires crossed here. I was thinking of another article published on kolbecenter.org.

That’s true, but it seems absurd to me that Adam shuold take billions of years to evolve, but Eve appeared in an instant. Not a very convincing story.

No problem - the “dating” can be changed to suit, since science advances from less perfect to more perfect.

If one rejects the theory that all life on earth evolved from unicellular organisms, one is missing out on exactly NOTHING. However, you may well suffer a degree of persecution for being an evo-infidel.

Sounds like a good argument for a common Creator.

Your source is in error I’m afraid. The vast majority of mutations are neutral, not having any effect either way. Of the non-neutral remainder the majority, though not all, are indeed deleterious.

It is also worth saying that some deleterious mutations are due to extra function rather than loss. Some auto-immune diseases are due to an over-active immune system rather than an under-active immune system for instance.

You need to find a better source.

rossum

Erm… How long a timeline do you want for your God? I think that “eternal” would be longer than any proposed scientific timeline.

Isn’t there a saying about people in glass houses?

rossum

I doesn’t. Natural selection sorts the beneficial mutations from the deleterious mutations by differential amplification over the generations.

rossum

A pity…Science’s loss I’m sure. :wink:

The main way that Darwin’s theory contradicts Catholicism is when people use it to say why some people are better than others and/or deserve more.

As is the case with the unborn, who are not persons under the law in most of the world’s jurisdictions.

It has no decision making capability.

And yet it produces things that do.

Sorry. Double post.

It is indeed a fact without a credible explanation. The formula appears to be: Long periods of time X chemicals = beings like us, and myriad other living things.

if it denies the existence of God behind the process then yes…if not then no…Catholic doctrine states God is the source creation…how God did it has not been dogmatically taught by the Church.

if it denies the existence of God behind the process then yes.if not then no…Catholic doctrine states God is the source creation…how God did it has not been dogmatically taught by the Church.

As I pointed out, the standing assumption is that long periods of time and chemicals are regarded as all you need. But the time question has been addressed this way:

"The Time Question

“Much less has been defined as to when the universe, life, and man appeared. The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago.”

Source: Catholic Answers

Show me the step by step path.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.