Does Darwin's theory of evolution contradict Catholicsm?

1. Glark might be wrong.

2. The Neanderthals did leave something: jewelry.

3. Where can I find evidence that Adam wrote anything, or that he made jewelry? The Bible tells us that the Book of Genesis was written by Moses, not by Adam.

rossum

I definitely don’t think so. First of all, the 7 days talked about in Genesis don’t have to be Earth ‘days’. In Cosmos, they explain this fairly, if we took Big Bang as January 1st, and December 31st as the modern era, 475 years before our age, they match perfectly. If you have a Netflix account I definitely recommend you watching the first episode of Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson, he explains it far better than me. What happened was a supervised evolution by God, in which he guided evolution into what it is now. God is not in a rush, and all he creates is perfect talking from a microscopic level to the final result. He carefully crafted DNA and guided it from a single cell to a whole ecosystem. Then, the first two humans, meaning the first two animals who ironically stopped being animals into rational beings were Adam and Eve. From there Genesis takes place. Science and Religion don’t contradict each other. They complement each other, as their result is to explain find the truth. Sure it will take a lot of time for science to reach what the church realized hundreds of years ago. But in time it will catch up.

Speculation, do you believe polystrate fossil trees was caused by Noah’s flood ?

Why would God bother to use evolution, and take billions and billions and billions of years when he could do it in an instant ?

The article I cited showed that the necklace was Neanderthal. Not speculation.

Polystrate trees were caused by floods, volcanic eruptions and potentially other natural phenomena such as seasonally flooded swamps. Noah’s flood was a large local flood and would have had the usual effects of a large local flood.

I would not be surprised if some polystrate trees have resulted from the Mount St. Helens eruption.

rossum

If I may comment on your explanation:
Animals cannot stop being animals.
They cannot be changed into human beings.
Human beings are a different sort creation although we bear a physical resemblance to animals.
Eve came from Adam.
There have been no human beings, not descended from Adam and Eve.

It would be for the same reason that we are all individually created as one cell, developing and growing in our mother’s womb, as did the incarnate Word of God.

Humani Generis:

"22. To return, however, to the new opinions mentioned above, a number of things are proposed or suggested by some even against the divine authorship of Sacred Scripture. For some go so far as to pervert the sense of the Vatican Council’s definition that God is the author of Holy Scripture, and they put forward again the opinion, already often condemned, which asserts that immunity from error extends only to those parts of the Bible that treat of God or of moral and religious matters. They even wrongly speak of a human sense of the Scriptures, beneath which a divine sense, which they say is the only infallible meaning, lies hidden. In interpreting Scripture, they will take no account of the analogy of faith and the Tradition of the Church. Thus they judge the doctrine of the Fathers and of the Teaching Church by the norm of Holy Scripture, interpreted by the purely human reason of exegetes, instead of explaining Holy Scripture according to the mind of the Church which Christ Our Lord has appointed guardian and interpreter of the whole deposit of divinely revealed truth.

"23. Further, according to their fictitious opinions, the literal sense of Holy Scripture and its explanation, carefully worked out under the Church’s vigilance by so many great exegetes, should yield now to a new exegesis, which they are pleased to call symbolic or spiritual. By means of this new exegesis of the Old Testament, which today in the Church is a sealed book, would finally be thrown open to all the faithful. By this method, they say, all difficulties vanish, difficulties which hinder only those who adhere to the literal meaning of the Scriptures.

“37. When, however, there is question of another conjectural opinion, namely polygenism, the children of the Church by no means enjoy such liberty. For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains that either after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parent of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents. Now it is in no way apparent how such an opinion can be reconciled with that which the sources of revealed truth and the documents of the Teaching Authority of the Church propose with regard to original sin, which proceeds from a sin actually committed by an individual Adam and which, through generation, is passed on to all and is in everyone as his own.[12]”

That may be so, but you now characterize the relevant enquiries as scientism, not science. So now we have an evolving (:joy:) story of scientists who are dumb, frauds and practicing “scientism” not science. And yet no one can step forward and demonstrate the simple proposition that all life on earth was created just 5778 years ago, or at least the converse, that it was not present far, far earlier. Why is that?

Why would God prefer an instant? You presume God would choose as man would choose. Very presumptuous of you.

I’m going by with the Bible says.

Advocating certain ideas has become more important than science.

No, you wrote what you wrote.

Ok…

Actually, compiled by Moses based on clay tablets he had in his possession.

I like this imagery - God as an artist, the universe His canvas. His thoughts get applied to the canvas instantly.

Gee, why did Noah go through the trouble making n ark? He could walk the animals quite a distance in 100 years.

If we all were not descended from Adam and Eve would mean there are humans without original sin walking among us. How would we know?

Catholics don’t claim the earth to be that old. Bishop Ussher was not Catholic.

So, God is not omnipotent and cannot change an animal into a human being. Got you.

rossum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.