Does Darwin's theory of evolution contradict Catholicsm?

Many extinctions events could have occurred as a result of the Flood.

Theistic Evolution 101: “If a Scripture contradicts the theory of billions of years of evolution, then that Scripture is to be denied, or twisted and distorted into something acceptable.”

God often says no

Or an asteroid impact or wide scale volcanic activity or some other trigger for the extinction event circa 65 million years ago that led to the demise of the dinosaurs.

The creatures portrayed would represent species, groups of individual life forms.

No one living being is transformed into another, but the theory here portrayed would be that God added some DNA to an ape or group of apes causing the emergence of a group of Homo sapiens.

Darwinism holds that this involved random changes in the genome happening gradually and over time within a group of apes. The process does not include God.

Some people believe God created matter having a particular structure that it would by its own accord result in living forms and we ourselves.

Others can’t see how that could happen and believe that God played a more active role, either manipulating the DNA or perhaps guiding the animals’ instincts to choose appropriate mates that would ultimately bring about human creatures. The latter would be similar to what we do breeding dogs and horses, but from the inside - our dreams and desires.

Of these two explanations, the first addresses only the physical and the second, while acknowledging the role of mind in life, still does not address the main feature of humanity, that which distiguishes it from animals - its possession if a rational/relational/eternal soul - God’s breath.

But, perhaps the picture shows God utilising DNA, formed over time as life blossomed on earth, to act as the basic code by which inert matter can come together to form our physical form. Maybe, as real as we feel matter to be, it is so because it is ultimately God’s thoughts, His arrangement of the light that is the physical manifestation of His infinite compassion, filling the entire universe.

The only reason I posted that pic was because I thought it was funny and stupid.

But they rose from the ashes and became birds.

The bone structure of birds provides evidence that indicates this is not the case. And:

"The idea of feathered dinosaurs and the theropod origin of birds is being actively promulgated by a cadre of zealous scientists acting in concert with certain editors at Nature and National Geographic who themselves have become outspoken and highly biased proselytizers of the faith. Truth and careful scientific weighing of evidence have been among the first casualties in their program, which is now fast becoming one of the grander scientific hoaxes of our age-the paleontological equivalent of cold fusion. If Sloan’s article is not the crescendo of this fantasia, it is difficult to imagine to what heights it can next be taken. But it is certain that when the folly has run its course and has been fully exposed, National Geographic will unfortunately play a prominent but unenviable role in the book that summarizes the whole sorry episode.

"Sincerely,

“Storrs L. Olson
Curator of Birds
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC 20560”

I thought it was interesting, and decided to take it seriously, in spite of its probably having been created as a joke.

The website it came from was serious.

You omitted the date on that letter: 1999. We have made a great many relevant discoveries in the intervening 17 years.

rossum

If total design is not detectable from outside our frame of reference, it is detectable when created inside our frame.

A certain country and western musician had a song about unanswered prayers…:grinning:

But now we have dino bones carbon dated to 28,000 years ago.

No, the birds, like crocodiles and numerous other mammals were not wiped out 65 million years ago.

I agree because there is but one truth. We must keep in mind that a little humility is needed by both theologians and scientists. Neither know the mind of God nor do they know thoroughly God’s ways. When theologians and scientists begin arguing, I strongly suspect that they both need to search a little further. For as it is written 1 Corinthians 13:12 “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” There is only one Truth. I believe that one truth is God. Scientists must seek truth with the tools of science. Which, by the way, are gifts from God - the brain for one and logic for an other. Theologians must also seek truth with the tools of love and adoration. One way is how did God create? The other way is why did God create? Two paths leading to the same truth.

I mean if the dinosaurs were completely wiped out, how could birds have evolved from them ?

I hope this article is helpful:

Right , what’s huge to us, is tiny to God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.