Does delaying obedience to your parents constitute as disobedience?

My parents always tell me delayed obedience is disobedience. Would delaying your response to your parents’ request constitute as a sin against the commandment telling us to honor our father and mother? Also, could someone list the Ten Commandments in order for me so I know the order?

The Ten Commandments appear twice in the Bible, in slightly different form, in Exodus 20 2-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21.

Here is the Catholic Catechism’s section on the Ten Commandments:
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/command.htm

While technically it may not be disobedience, it is certainly disrespect.

If I tell my son to mow the lawn this morning and he waits until late afternoon, yes, he mowed the lawn, but not when I asked him to. So, he eventually obeyed, but he did not do it when I asked, and I would find that disrespectful. True story. :wink:

And disrespecting your parents does not honor them.

Depends on the motivation behind it. If the delay is meant to annoy the parent, probably should’nt be delayed.

If there is a valid reason for the delay, then maybe not so much.

There are no loopholes in morality.
Subjective scenarios are just misdirection looking for a place to live.

I probably said that to my kids a few times. There is a tendency to want our kids to hop to it. We forget that they are not slaves, or even underlings. They are human beings. Parents do have different agendas than what kids have. But still - I wish I had had more patience with my children.

On the other hand - does the “delayed obedience” means you’ll forget to do the job? If that’s not the case, maybe ask the parent for a time frame. Does the job really need to be done right this minute? Was it something the parent wanted done yesterday or last week?

Delayed obedience can be disobedience if you parents had a time frame for what needed done. I would say open dialogue on your part could help with this situation. If you are doing something else or had plans just ask them when do they need it done by because you were going to play ball or what ever. As long as you aren’t delaying every single time and are willing to do it when they say it needs done now, I think this would improve your relationship with your parents. Just a little personal advise the habits you create when you are young can be quite difficult to break when you get older. If you get in the habit of delayed obedience (even with a good reason) it becomes easier and easier to delay for no reason at all.

As for the 10 commandments recorded in Deuteronomy 5:6–21 and Exodus 20:2–17.

If you notice in you Bible there are no numbers listed before each commandment. From the Bible 2 common lists have been interpreted.

This is the list commonly used by protestants:

1 You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 You shall make no idols.
3 You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4 Keep the Sabbath day holy.
5 Honor your father and your mother.
6 You shall not murder.
7 You shall not commit adultery.
8 You shall not steal.
9 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 You shall not covet.

Here is the Catholic list.
1 I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.
2 You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3 Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
4 Honor your father and your mother.
5 You shall not kill.
6 You shall not commit adultery.
7 You shall not steal.
8 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9 You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
10 You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.

Some like to point out that the Catholics removed the second commandment. However, the commandment prohibiting idolatry is not left out but, rather, is considered to be a part of the first commandment. This is because the definition of idolatry is the worship of a physical object as a god. Which would basically be the same as having another god before Him, which is what the first commandment already states.

One final point is if you break the first commandment into 2 not only is this repetitive but now you are forced to combine the 9th (covet your neighbor’s wife) and 10th commandment (covet your neighbor’s goods). Which basically puts your wife on the same level of importance as your property and I am sure your wife wouldn’t want to be considered your property.

Here is a great article about the 10 commandments.

catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/did-the-catholic-church-change-the-ten-commandments

It depends on the reason for delaying the obedience. Maybe there is something higher priority right this second that you need to do now, so whatever your parents’ asked has to be delayed. Usually, the parents know best, but they can make mistakes too. A lot of these arguments can be avoided with planning.

For example, if you have chores scheduled on certain days or times, it makes sense that you should follow the schedule. If you wanted to hang out with a friend, you would ask for permission on the day or time. Once they give permission, they shouldn’t suddenly change your plans without a good reason. For example, maybe you normally mow the lawn at noon on Saturdays, but during breakfast, the family gets a call out of no where that a relative will be there at 11am to visit. It would be reasonable to me for your parents to say you have to mow the lawn at 10am instead of your normal 12 noon. This sort of thing would be rare though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.