Does Denomination Matter?

Here is part of a correspondance I have had with someone. Hope it is informative. Hope it is orthodox!

** — Joanna **
** hey read your testimony.
so are you still saved do you still believe that Jesus
is in your heart?**

— Joseph :

Yes and yes.

I was saved (2 Cor 5:17 ),
I am saved (1 Cor15:2),
and I am being saved (Rom 5:9).

Jesus is the King of my heart!

— Joanna :
**okay so does it matter what denomination you belongas
long as you believe that Jesus is the son of God that
he was born of a virgin birth that he lived and thought during his time that he is the truth the way and the light and that no one can get to the father but through him.That he was crusified and on the
third day rose again, that he ascended into heavena and now
sits at the right hand of the Father, that one day he
shall return to take his believers home? all who recieved him,all who believed in his name? does denomiantion matter if you have this faith and hope?

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back. I have one week left of vacation and suddenly I got busy.

I beleive it does matter what Church one belongs to.

My answer is a bit long.

Jesus only established one Church.
The Catholic Church teaches that it contains the Fullness of God’s Grace. Which means that other Christian denomination do have God’s grace, but not its fullness nor a full understanding of the Truth of the gospels.

Jesus decalared that he would build a Church: Matthew 16:18.
In addition, when Jesus spoke to his disciples about solving disputes, he told them to take the matter to the Church: Matthew 18:17

The notion that the Church is an invisible body does not square with scripture. How would anyone know which Church Christ built or to whom people should take their disputes if they didn’t know where the Church was?

Jesus even gave the Church a visible head to lead the Church and other areas of leadership: Matthew 16:18
1 Corinthians 12:28

In Luke 10:16 Jesus tells his Apostles: “He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

Jesus did not build one Church with many denominations: “All the believers were one in heart and mind.” (Acts 4:32).

And Paul tells the Corinthians: “I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.” (1 Corinthians 1:10).

Not only that, the reason it matters to me which Church one belongs to is because Paul tells the Colossians that Jesus is the head of the body, which is THE CHURCH (Colossians 1:18). If Jesus is the head of the body, and the body is the Church, I want to make sure I am attached to the right body.

And finally, Paul tells Timothy that it is THE CHURCH, that is the pillar and foundation of the Truth. “Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” (Timothy 3:14-15).

The Scriptures do not say that the Bible, or one person’s teaching, or a particular denomination is the pillar and foundation of the truth, but that the Church is.
So, for me, it is important which Church I belong to.

God bless you.

Yes, it matters!

wonderful response!

God Bless,
RyanL

OH IT MATTERS!!! WHY??? BECAUSE , IN THE NORMATIVE SENSE, VERYONE MUST BE A CATHOLIC(FORMALLY) TO GET TO HEAVEN-----ALL NON–CATHOLICS, including Protesatants, run the risk of going to hell—GO WANTS EVERYONE TO BECOME CATHOLIC

Oh, yes, it does matter! Why would Christ build the Church if he didn’t intend for everyone to follow it? Because he didn’t intend to have people reject his Church, he wants everyone to be a part of it.

Yes, this is very good. This is something that I can use to my non-Catholic friends (if they ever ask me someday!)

Peace be with you! :clapping:

[quote=ICXCNIKA]do you still believe that Jesus
is in your heart?
[/quote]

One of the places where denomination matters: being Catholic not only do we belive that Jesus is in our heart, but on a periodic basis He is also in our mouths and stomachs!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Of course it matters. Why else would the Bible say that we need to look out for “false prophets”?

False prophets speak falsely about God (false doctrine), and when people follow them, a false church is created.

We seek the *One *Spirit of Truth.

Peace,
javelin

…of course denomination matters (IMHO)… otherwise why would Jesus found and preserve his church…

and that is a far cry from telling someone their doomed if they don’t believe like me…

…it’s ultimately between you and God and what’s in your heart. How you treated your neighbor and your relationship with God…

Peace:thumbsup:
http://mediasoftware.free.fr/index.1.jpg

It does matter and that was believed by the early christians.

It was very important, back then, to know WHO it was you got your teaching from. They wanted to make sure it was one of the Apostles or one of their close associates. If the community sent someone to be ordained to lead their church, they made sure they sent them to one of the Apostles or one of their successors or someone in their direct line. It was very important to be able to say that your bishop was ordained by Peter, John, Polycarp or Ignatius. The people knew they had the truth! There were sooooo many heresies flying around that the early christians had to make sure they were getting the truth.

I want to be like those early christians, I want to make sure I am getting the whole truth, not just part of it and not just some watered down version or worse yet some misinterpreted piece of the truth.

I do think denomination makes a difference, otherwise, how do you know what you are believing in is the truth? The Catholic Church is the only church that can be traced directly back to Jesus Himself and the Apostles. Our teachings today are those of the early christians. It’s what the Apostles passed down through their successors.

Truth matters! Why would you not want to be where the whole of Jesus’ truth is?

" Are all horse’s in the Derby equal"

G.K. Chesterton

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.