Does DEUT 18:18 foretell John the Baptist as opposed to Jesus or mohammed?

Muslims often quote this verse in the bible as foretelling mohammeds coming:

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.

DEUT 18:18

Christians dispute this and say this is actually fortelling Jesus. This would be more accurate as Jesus was an Israelite while mohammed was not. A lot of Christians call Jesus a prophet (he called Himself a prophet in Luke 13:33), however Jesus also says:

For I say to you: Amongst those that are born of women, there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist.

LUKE 7:28

Confused? Me too. One could make the argument that there are two kinds of prophet. One type whose sole job it is to be a prophet (Moses, John the Baptist, Jerimiah etc) and then someone whose role and authority is so big that it, by its nature, encompasses the role of a prophet along with everything else (this would be God/Jesus).

Considering this, can one argue to a muslim that DEUT 18:18 does not foretell mohammed but instead foretells John the Baptist, simply by virtue of Jesus’ own words in Luke 7:28?

**P.S. **On a side note, when Jesus says “born of women”, is this a differentiation from being “born of the spirit” in baptism? And so would differentiate between a prophet in OT times and a prophet who has been baptized (as Jesus was in the sea of Galilee).

Dt. 18:18 speaks of Christ. Here are NT verses that show that it is Christ who fulfills this prophecy:

Lk. 24[10] & Jn. 14[10] Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

Jn. 1[45] Philip found Nathan’a-el, and said to him, “We have found him of whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

Jesus is the Prophet, the last Word of God to men, whereas all others up until him were not God’s final Prophet. When the Pharisees asked John the Baptist if he was “the prophet” he denied it. He was the “voice of one crying in the wilderness” not the last revelation of God to man–that is Christ and Christ alone. :slight_smile:

It could not refer to Mohammed because he was not a prophet: :shrug:

Matt Fradd - Muhammad Was A False Prophet

Mike

Muslims say that the Jewish (and Christian) scriptures were corrupted by the respective followers.

So they then say “Oh look, those corrupted scriptures point to Mohammed!”

So either Mohammed is a corruption or the scriptures did not point to him, can’t have it both ways.

But that’s how they do it. They want it both ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.