Does Ezekiel 18 disprove Original sin?

14 “But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things:

15 “He does not eat at the mountain shrines
or look to the idols of Israel.
He does not defile his neighbor’s wife.
16 He does not oppress anyone
or require a pledge for a loan.
He does not commit robbery
but gives his food to the hungry
and provides clothing for the naked.
17 He withholds his hand from mistreating the poor
and takes no interest or profit from them.
He keeps my laws and follows my decrees.

**He will not die for his father’s sin; he will surely live. **18 But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.

19 “Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 **The one who sins is the one who will die. **The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Why are we to pay for the sins of our fathers, when this passage states that the one who sins will die?

Thanks in advance, God Bless!

-Vince

We share in original sin, because we are effected daily from it’s result in this fallen world.
The passage does not disprove original sin since it would have to contradict Genisis, it recongizes thast there is sin and we have proof of the fall of Adam and Eve in Genisis.
This passage is saying that each person must be answerable for thier own lives and sins, so a son cannot be held resonsible for the sin of his father, that does not mean that he is not affected by the sin of his father.
Deacon Frank

Thank you for your input Deacon.

Actually one could use the Bible to prove anything, if you take enough verses out of context and find enough people gullible enough to believe you. There is even a verse in Psalms that could be made to say that God does not exist if taken out of context (See Psalm 14:1).:shrug:

True. Thats why I posted, I wanted to know the context.:thumbsup:

Actually we use the bible to understand God’s love and salvation message for us.
In Genisis he created the world out of love and gave us the free will to follow him or not. The world is still here out of His love and we have the same free will.
God did not abandon Adam and Eve after they turned from him, nor does he abandon us.
The bible does prove His Love.

Deacon Frank

I did not say we couldn’t use Scripture to prove these things. I was just saying that unscrupulous people can twist scripture around, as some Protestants and others have done, and use it to “prove” all sorts of goofy stuff.:shrug: (hint–think Jim Jones)

You are right, and it has been done resulting in terrible events. Catholics need to know scripture in relation to the teaching of the Church to give God’s truth and to combat the unscrupulous.

Psalm 14:1 IN CONTEXT says " The fool says in his heart ‘There is no God’" but a person could take “there is no God” out of its proper context, find a few mentally challenged followers, and use this to “prove” atheism.:shrug::eek:

Well the easy way out of this would be to not refer to Original Sin as a “guilt”. Or at least that would be a start to resolving the difficulty.

Oh Lego, I am sure you are exaggerating a bit, it will not be a verse, it will be only 4 words and we can not take the Bible like that, no one will believe you.

1 Fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is no one who does good.

Gloria
Sorry I saw too late that you have given an answer to this!

You see Vincent I wanted to give you another example to see if this may answer your question. So I let our Lord to speak to you.

“2 And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be made manifest in him.” Jn 9:2-3

And please, do not think that the sinner will not die if he does not repent, surely he will die.

“Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered thus? 3 I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen upon whom the tower in Silo′am fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” Lk 13:2-5

In the love of God and His Christ,
Gloria

The unbaptised are not “guilty” of original sin, but they do suffer from the stain of original sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.