Does Fox News count as the "mainstream media"?

I’ve noticed a tendency here to constantly criticize the mainstream media. Not that there’s anything wrong with that at all, but I’m wondering whether or not those (usually conservatives) who do this consider Fox News to be part of the “mainstream media”. Just wondering.

I don’t see any reason why Fox News isn’t mainstream media.

I have been so turned off by the ‘mainstream media’ that I really don’t watch them at all anymore. Traditionally I am referring to ABC, CBS, NBC but I also add to that CNN (which to me is the absolute worst of the bunch in terms of blatant liberal bias), MSNBC and FOX News. Even though FOX has a more conservative slant, I am not interested in getting any bias from my news. I realize that this is almost impossible given the fact that journalists in general are attending liberal colleges and are coming from a liberal perspective even before they begin their career. I don’t want to paint with a broad brush, I don’t mean to say every journalist is liberal, but its been my experience that most journalists have SOME point of view and increasingly they feel it is their job to present us what they think we need to be concerned with.

I consider them mainstream, but the majority of their outlooks and opinions as insane

They’re just the right wing balance to the leftist media which is not what I am looking for.

I just think it’s weird that Fox News is so conservative while the Fox Network has some of the least-conservative, in fact, just plain raunchy shows on TV.

My husband always listens to–gag!–NPR! I ask him how he can stand it, and he says that we have to know what “the other side” is thinking. Good point.

You mistake ‘politically conservative’ for ‘moral’.

My husband always listens to–gag!–NPR! I ask him how he can stand it, and he says that we have to know what “the other side” is thinking. Good point.

NPR probably doesn’t think of you two as part of any ‘other side’ – they just play the news. Their shows can tend toward the left-wing (something I’m just fine with) but their actual news reporting is excellent.

I have to ask, what do people here think of the Beeb?

I find the NPR and BBC to both be quite biased at times, but I think their quality of reporting and breadth / depth of coverage far exceeds Fox News. I don’t watch Fox News much anymore, but back when my dad was around and always watched it seemed like a great amount of their time was spent of “tabloid” type stories like missing white woman cases, etc. Call me a “snob” or “elitist”, but BBC and NPR have always struck me as more intelligent in appearance and what they choose to cover, as well as how much time they spend on it.

One of the first mysterious acronyms here I had to ask about was “MSM”. My only previous encounters with it had to do with “Men who have Sex with Men”, a more global (and academic) description of homosexual behavior that would encompass guys who don’t identify as homosexual. Very different indeed! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no reason to question Fox News as being part of mainstream news. Certainly it has the big budget which probably defines mainstream news.

But yes, NPR has a liberal bias and Fox News has a conservative bias. The BBC I haven’t noticed any slant, but I am very appreciative of its international focus… something American news doesn’t do very well.

That’s more than can be said for the BBC themselves: BBC report finds bias within corporation

I see your point, but I think the MSM doesn’t consider FNC part of the MSM. I much prefer FNC to CNN, but that doesn’t mean FNC is above reproach; for example, they’re by far the worst in perpetuating the Beautiful Missing White Female stereotype. If they were all found, or all became men or a different race, Greta Van wouldn’t have a job.

Side note: Neither would CNN’s Nancy (Dis)Grace. (BTW Nancy, you were going to scuba “Lake Ocala” to find that missing toddler Trenton Duckett. How’s that working out?)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.