Does Friday Abstinance end at 6pm Today?

Since tomorrow is the Solemnity of the Assumption, and solemnities start the evening before, are we supposed to not do Friday Abstinance/Penance after 6pm tonight?

hmm good question… (sorry I don’t know) :confused:

btw, is tomorrow a day of obligation??? do we have to go to Mass tomorrow or is Sunday alright? I’m asking cause I don’t really have a way to get to Mass tomorrow :frowning:

Not sure in the USA, but in Canada, the Solemnity of the Assumption isn’t a holy day of obligation.

I don’t know the answer on the Friday Abstenance part, but since Assumption falls on Saturday, our priest said that there is not a mass obligation. However, he strongly recommended attending the Friday night vigil mass or the saturday morning mass.

I plan to attend the Friday 5:30 Vigil mass - not because I have to, but because I WANT to. :thumbsup:

Regards,
JMP

:slight_smile: corrected my post-

Feast Days do override the normal prescribed Fast days.

You are correct. The solemnity starts on Friday evening and it is not appropriate to do penance then.
The previous post on reckoning days does not apply because solemnities start on the afternoon of the previous day. (If what that poster said was true, then it would be impossible to have a Vigil Mass for the assumption…think about it…)

What time?

I’m not sure what time the penance should end. I think the beginning of the liturgical day is flexible here. I would begin celebrating the feast at sundown, when you attend the vigil Mass, or when you pray evening prayer, whichever comes first.

Oops, too late, says Neil, with chocolate on his face

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.