Does God allow suffering or want it healed?

I am in a prayer group and our topic was on healing last week. A few of us talked about graces we got during times of serious illness. A member authoritatively stated "suffering being good? It just ain't in the bible." I took exception saying that there was at least ONE important exception and noted the agony in the garden and the cross. Another member said "but that is why Christ suffered and DIED.... to END suffering." I consider both of these elders as Catholics in good standing. I didn't argue, but later found several places in 1 Peter, Romans, Philippians, and 2 Corinthians that talk about the merits of suffering. I am also a novice becoming a lay Carmelite and note many of the saints suffered. I have to say this is a Charismatic Group and I have also been a Charismatic Catholic for 33 years but think sometimes the zeal goes over the line and can to into a Protestant flavor at times if folk aren't careful. No slur at the Charismatics, but we get a lot of Protestants who come over.. I just wrote this person privately and told them I want to stand with what the Church teaches, and if I am wrong, I will happily stand corrected. I just want to follow what the Church teaches because I believe it teaches what Jesus and the disciples taught. I'm open to truth. Is my view distorted or do I need to stand firm against error being taught with authority?:confused: -'

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church's teaching on suffering. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Why does God allow people to be abused?

Why does a loving God allow children to suffer and die?
Free Will and Omniscience
Why and how is suffering redemptive?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.