Does God Always Understand Our Prayers?

Does God always understand our prayers? Sometimes I accidentally say the wrong words when praying with my own words, and I sometimes wonder if God knows what I really meant.

For example, I may be praying that abortion get banned, but in my mind I may get a bit confused and wind up thinking the wrong words. Sometimes I accidentally think the opposite of what I meant to think when praying, and I wind up repeating the prayer with the correct words.

Does God always understand our prayers, even if we accidentally say/think the wrong words?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’d try not to say the OPPOSITE of what you mean, but regardless, prayers should be from your heart, and God knows what’s in your heart, even if the lips screw up.

I’m not sure why you believe that God does not know His creation fully?
:confused:

Of course God understands. You don’t even have to say the actual words. You can pray to God wordlessly. I’ve been doing it for years. It’s called contemplation.

Just talk to God like the loving Father he is. Trust that he understands because he does, and don’t worry! Don’t worry!

God bless.

To answer your question directly: Yes, God can, because he can read your thoughts. He knows everything about you, and nothing you think, do or imagine is known to Him.

Therefore, when you pray, you can use words in order to help yourself form your own thoughts, but they are not necessary. God knows your heart and can read your soul.

I find you have to use simple words with God… like please, forgive, love. Ofcourse He sees into your very heart, not a single hair on your head is uncounted by Him. He knows your thoughts before the words are formulated… however fumbled. Do not worry about words. Just sitting with Him before the Eucharist is enough for many.
Also He knows his children. If you heard your child saying something contrary to their nature or personality would you not listen to understand the deviation? He knows your love of the innocent. Thus he will ignore your confusion.

Yes, of course. God knows us through and through.

Jesus assures us that “Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” (Matthew 6:8)

Thanks for the replies! :smiley:

I guess I was worrying over nothing.

I’m sorry, but I have one more question. How do you know if you are in “Prayer Mode” or “Non Prayer Mode” with the Sign of the Cross? Sometimes I forget how many times I made it, and I don’t know if I am in the “Prayer Mode” or the “Non Prayer Mode”. Does it really even matter?

No, it does not matter in that way.

I am not sure if I understand Prayer Mode, Non Prayer Mode, and how many times. Is this an even-number, odd-number thing? If so, forget that and go back to basics: Why do we make the Sign of the Cross?

The Catechism teaches this:
2157 The Christian begins his day, his prayers, and his activities with the Sign of the Cross: “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.” The baptized person dedicates the day to the glory of God and calls on the Savior’s grace which lets him act in the Spirit as a child of the Father. The sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations and difficulties.

It doesn’t sound like you could make the Sign of the Cross a wrong number of times, or too many times. By the same token, don’t worry if you omit it inadvertently or in haste.

Sometimes I just start talking to God during the day. While I’m cooking, cleaning, prepping meals for the homeless — God hears all and knows your heart. You don’t have to be in any mode or say set prayers. Wake up, say “Good Morning, Lord!” and go from there.

Have a most blessed day!

Hehe, funny question :slight_smile: Don’t worry, the sign of the cross isn’t like a light switch which “turns on” or “turns off” your prayer. When you are praying, you are praying, that’s it.

Thanks for the replies! I did not know that the Catechism had stuff about the SOTC in it! :slight_smile:

There is a lot of stuff in there!

I presume God probably knows what we are asking for when we pray, even if we dont put into the ‘correct’ words, like others have said, he already knows whats in your heart.

I just wish he would answer my prayers about winning the lottery…it would be a great thing and help MANY MANY good causes!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.