Does God bless America?

In 1918, while he was serving in the Army in upstate New York, Irving Berlin wrote the song “God Bless America.” It wasn’t until 20 years later in 1938 when Berlin, a Russian Jew, thought the song ought to be revived and used as a peaceful tool against the propaganda being spread by Adolf Hitler in Germany. The song grew in popularity and was adopted for use at public events like parades, baseball games, and political campaigns. The ideology behind the song led to the co-opting of its refrain, written by a Jewish man, by Christian presidents, to the point that now, it’s almost impossible to imagine a president ending an important speech without saying “God bless America.”
Now, some folks on the right are calling for an end to this phrase.

The article states that it is because of the legalization of gay marriage that some on the Right believe that the U.S. is no longer in a position to receive G-d’s blessing. I guess that must mean we were a completely sin-free nation prior to gay marriage. IOW, slavery and Jim Crow laws, antisemitism, anti-Catholicism, our treatment of Native Americans since the founding of our country, gay discrimination in housing and jobs, women’s being denied the vote and discrimination against women in the workforce with regard to hiring and wages, our treatment of Japanese-Americans and German-Americans during World War II, the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, our financial connections to extremist Arab countries, these federal and state policies mean nothing with regard to our country’s righteousness insofar as Tony Perkins and other conservative leaders and organizations are concerned. It is only the legalization of gay marriage that matters.

:thumbsup:

What about the bumper stickers that read, “American bless God.” Those don’t sit right with me. How can we bless God? My impression of a blessing is that the higher ranking person blesses the lower ranking person. I.e., God blesses us.

GOD is slow to anger, but anger will just if we after a time fail to return to HIM. GOD gave the people of Noah’s generation approximately 100 years to convert, all the time they were making fun of Noah and his family as they built the Ark. GOD sent Jonah to proclaim the destruction of Nineveh if they did not repent, and in two days, the entire city, which required 3 days travel to pass through, had converted - they heard and believed. GOD personally visited Sodom and Gomorrah, and negotiated with Abraham for the salvation of those souls, “if”, HE could find 10 just men, the rest would be saved.

America has angered GOD greatly by calling evil good and good evil through abortion, same sex marriage, and now with the placement of an idolatrous statue image of satan in Detroit, MI.

.With California entering the 4th year of a crop destroying draught, GOD’s anger may being manifested.

Our hope lies in the failed example of Sodom and Gomorrah , “if” I find 10 I will spare the city. As Catholic’s we need to become that “10” through prayer (Rosary, Chaplet of Divine Mercy and fasting) begging for GOD’s mercy to withhold HIS just anger against America and allow us the time to recovery our nation from the ruler of the world.

What about the Bible, that commands us to “Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord” and to “Bless the LORD, O my soul”?

Its just a nice phrase expressing a patriotic sentiment. As usual, some people who have nothing better to do with their sad lives make a big deal out of it. Besides, if America has faults and problems, what better time to ask for blessings?

I don’t think that most of us (except fanatics and the superstitious) who use the phrase really believe that God is somewhere checking his “Who’s been naughty and who’s been nice” list, and distributing blessings individually.

God Bless America! :thumbsup:

When I was a fundamentalist years ago I often heard that as long as America supports Israel, God will bless America.
We hear Obama himself and many others declare America is the “exceptional nation”.
Nationalism can very easily become a religion.

In all circumstances, whether we deserve it or not, we may pray for God’s blessing. If hard times come, like drought, violence, or economic difficulties, even those may be regarded as God’s blessings. It would be a great blessing indeed if we were shaken out of our trance, if we were released from our attachments to wealth, pleasure, and pride, and if it freed us to redirect our lives toward righteousness, love, and eternal life. God Bless America, Amen!

America was unworthy of God’s blessing before nationwide SSM and it will remain unworthy afterward. God reigns blessings upon the unrighteousness, and is kind to the wicked.

Just curious, so now you no longer believe God was serious when He promised to bless the nation that blesses Israel?

[Your heavenly Father] makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Matthew 5:45)

Where did God say that? Genesis 12? If so, whom did God say should be blessed? The descendants of Abraham, all people who worship the one true God, or the nation created by men in 1948 which appropriated the holy name of Israel for itself?

That’s where I get confused, and I thought of passages such as those when I replied. Still, it seems to me that we, as human beings, are not capable or worthy of placing our blessings on the Supreme Being.

We should ask God to forgive America before we dare ask for His blessing.

To bless G-d is not considered presumptuous or odd in Judaism. We are thanking, praising, and glorifying G-d by doing so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.