Does God call people to be separate from Catholic Eucharist

Do you believe God calls believers to be preachers and teachers in churches separated from Holy Communion with the Bishop of Rome?

RIP Billy Graham

I believe that God can call people to other ecclesiastical communities if it will leave them in a better place than otherwise. I don’t believe God calls anyone to other ecclesiastical communities from the Catholic Church, though. That would be exchanging the full truth for a half-truth. Perhaps God calls people to other ecclesiastical communities as a step-by-step process to enter the Catholic Church, because I don’t know if God would stop and be content at a half-truth. I think not. Of course, that doesn’t mean that everyone called to another ecclesiastical community will become visibly Catholic.

I believe that everyone is on a different point of the journey to God and that God can and does work in people’s lives even if they are not part of the Catholic Church. So yes, I do believe that, as part of the process to getting to know Him better and serve Him more fully He may be calling non-Catholic Christians to become preachers and teachers within their own denomination. Ultimately, I believe He would will that everyone be united to His one holy Church. I do not believe that He would ever call anyone out of His Church.

Yes absolutely! A perfect example is the late Rev. Bill Graham. :laughing:

Why did you give a completely different meaning from the post Headline to the opening remarks?

Did Billy Graham encourage divided Communions???

I dont see them as different. Honest

What I meant is the title asks about people being separate from the Eucharist and the op asks about ministers and teachers being separated from Communion with Rome.

What is “them?”

I can’t imagine He does. He would, of course, desire for people who feel this “call” to be in full communion with His Church.

How have you determined that non-Catholic churches are “only half truth?”

Title: Does God call people to be separate from Catholic Eucharist?

O.P.: Do you believe God calls believers to be preachers and teachers in churches separated from Holy Communion with the Bishop of Rome?

The title is the question, and the OP specifies what is meant by the question.

Does God call people to preach in churches which are separated from Communion with Rome? Or Does God call men to a Communion separated from the Catholic Eucharist?

To understand the question, one has to understand that the Catholic Eucharist contains the deposit of faith, since it is His own Body and Blood.

The title and OP

Only the Catholic Church has the full truth. The Eastern Orthodox Churches have the vast majority of the truth. Protestant churches have varying degrees of truth, but do not have the full truth.

I thought you were suggesting the Communions are not different or divided.

Someday we will all find out what the truth really is.

I personally think that we would do well to show some respect to Rev. Billy Graham and at least let him be buried before we start claiming that he was never called of God because he was not a Catholic, or that his ministry is based on the standards of half truths.

Im not saying Billy Graham was never called by God, or even that he wasnt called to preach, or that he didnt preach many Catholic doctrines.

Jesus remains the same then, now and forever. It is people’s beliefs that are different.

Catholics take Jesus’ words at the Last Supper literally. The consecrated bread becomes His Body. The consecrated wine becomes His Blood. Why? Because Jesus said they are His Body and Blood. We believe Him.

Protestants believe the piece of cracker and grape juice they receive are symbols only. And they are. They don’t receive Jesus Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity because their cracker and grape aren’t “magically transformed” into flesh and blood which they view as cannibalism. Because the Jewish laws forbid the eating of blood, the Protestant reasons that Jesus had to be speaking metaphorically rather than literally.

Catholics and Protestants “Do this in memory of Me.” For Protestants, it is merely a remembrance of His sacrifice on the Cross for the forgiveness of the sins of the whole world.

For Catholics, the reception of the Eucharist is so much more. We remember not only His sacrifice on the Cross for the forgiveness of our sins but the events leading up to it. We are with Him through it all. We share in His suffering, His death and His glorious Resurrection. And as we receive Him in the Eucharist, we are humbled that He loves us so much.

Does God wish for us to be separated from Him? No. He calls each of us to Him where we are. He calls Catholics. He calls non-Catholics. Each person who answers His knock at their heart’s door is a Christian regardless of the church each attends on this earth.

Archbishop Fulton J Sheen, a Catholic, and Rev Billy Graham, a Protestant, were each called by God to spread His Gospel throughout the world. Each did so using the gifts God gave them.

Like Archbishop Sheen and Rev Billy Graham, we too are called to share the Gospel with those we meet. We may not travel to the ends of the earth personally like they did. But through the Internet, the words we say do travel and reach the world.

But do Catholics honor and love the fullness of the Truth? Do we walk around filled with love for the perfect Church we are a part of, which is the Spirit of the Lord Whom we receive?

I would say no. God does not call any man to a evil. Heresy and schism are evil, and thus it cannot be that God called men to join with heretics or schismatics.

No. Here is what the Church teaches:

Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium:

As often as the sacrifice of the cross in which Christ our Passover was sacrificed, is celebrated on the altar, the work of our redemption is carried on, and, in the sacrament of the eucharistic bread, the unity of all believers who form one body in Christ (8) is both expressed and brought about. All men are called to this union with Christ, who is the light of the world, from whom we go forth, through whom we live, and toward whom our whole life strains.

Second Vatican Council, Unitatis Redintegratio

Christ the Lord founded one Church and one Church only. However, many Christian communions present themselves to men as the true inheritors of Jesus Christ; all indeed profess to be followers of the Lord but differ in mind and go their different ways, as if Christ Himself were divided.(1) Such division openly contradicts the will of Christ, scandalizes the world, and damages the holy cause of preaching the Gospel to every creature.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.