Does God exist in Hell?

Hey guys

I was taught that God is omniprescent- that he exists everywhere. HOwever, does He exist in Hell as Hell is defined as a place WITHOUT God?

thanks

I would say no, because part of the tortures of hell is that you are seperated from God for eternity, although for some poor evil souls, spending eternity with God would be painful. :frowning:

And also, usually people are referring to God being everywhere in this, our physical world, as opposed to the spiritual worlds of Heaven, Purgatory and hell.

God isn’t in Purgatory either, hence the suffering there to attone for our sins.

God is everywhere. Omni-Present.

But he is not revealed in his glory everywhere. For example here at my desk, I don’t expirience the Beatific Vision.

A second question come to mind…Where is Hell? Is there anyplace outside of Hell?

All creation is within God. And God created Hell. Of course we furnished it. :slight_smile:

i heard this explanation given by someone a few years ago. I don’t know just how true it is, so take it with a grain of salt.

they said that God is everywhere, even in hell, accept that in hell, his presence is not seen by those in hell because they have chosen to look away. So while he is there, they have forever chosen to look in the opposite direction, as it were.

i don’t know how theologically correct this is, but it seems to work for me.

Without God life would cease to be, therefore the poor souls in hell are, i think anyway, sustained by God, and therefore he is there.

Without God life would cease to be, therefore the poor souls in hell are, i think anyway, sustained by God, and therefore he is there.

really? I thought we were given immortal souls so even without God we would exist…

thanks for all the speedy repsonses guys!

A priest I know described Hell (and I believe he was quoting from some Saint) as God’s love experienced as fire; i.e., there is nothing of those spirits of the damned that can correspond and respond to love, and so God’s overwhelming love must necessarily be experienced as eternal fire and torment. Perhaps another way to express this is to consider Scripture’s words that “our God is a consuming fire” - in order to survive in and find joy and salvation in that fire one has to himself become one with the fire of Divine Love through the grace of Jesus Christ - this the damned cannot do.

[quote=villaneweva]…I thought we were given immortal souls so even without God we would exist…
[/quote]

We were given our immortal souls by God, so without God we would not exist.

[quote=FCEGM]A priest I know described Hell (and I believe he was quoting from some Saint) as God’s love experienced as fire; i.e., there is nothing of those spirits of the damned that can correspond and respond to love, and so God’s overwhelming love must necessarily be experienced as eternal fire and torment. Perhaps another way to express this is to consider Scripture’s words that “our God is a consuming fire” - in order to survive in and find joy and salvation in that fire one has to himself become one with the fire of Divine Love through the grace of Jesus Christ - this the damned cannot do.
[/quote]

That’s very interesting—I’ve never heard it put that way before. Thanks.

[quote=villaneweva]Hey guys

I was taught that God is omniprescent- that he exists everywhere. HOwever, does He exist in Hell as Hell is defined as a place WITHOUT God?

thanks
[/quote]

Yes, there is no place that is completely void of God. I would say that God is there, but the people in hell will never feel Him or know Him because they have rejected Him.

If God is present in Hell

then Satan would not reign supreme
it would not be Hell

therefore Hell is for the Damned who are there by their own desire to hate and utterly reject God…

[quote=Melanie01]If God is present in Hell

it would not be Hell

therefore Hell is for the Damned who are there by their own desire to hate and utterly reject God…
[/quote]

Satan is one of the damned. He is not reighning in hell as a king, he is in hell as one of the damned.

God has never created hell. All things those He created were created “good” (Genesis). Nothing bad was present before the fall.

Only when man decided to believe in a lie out of “the fruit of knowledge of good and evil”, only then hell was there.

It was writen that God only created light (the 1st day of Creation), and He “never created darkness”. John chapter one insists that “God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all”. Darkness in the old testament also mean “the absence” of God’s light, that “the light” also means God’s presence.

Whatever God did not created, does not exist. Thus, darkness does not exist, in other words : God’s absence is nothingness.

Now, man was created for the purpose of “immortality”, but later on, man choose to believe in “nothingness”. Because of man’s choice, “nothingness” becomes “forever nothingness”. The attribute of “forever” comes from man’s immortality.

Now there it is : “hell” exists because of man’s choice.

Hell by definition is the absence of God.

[quote=Melanie01]If God is present in Hell

it would not be Hell

[/quote]

God is omnipresent by the very extent of His infinite power. God can, if He so desires, utterly annihilate every evil soul in hell, including Satan.

Gerry

Agreeing with another poster, God did not create Hell. Satan and the other fallen angels made Hell when they rejected God. Only God can create.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.