Does God give us a desire for our vocation?

Hello Everybody! I am 18, just about to graduate and I have always had a desire to be married. Back then it was mainly because everyone else got married but now i am seeing the true beauty of it. So to start off I have an amazing boyfriend who I met at church and we share a huge love for God! We pray together, attend mass, confession, and adoration together, we also both help out with a middle school youth group at church. Ever since we started dating we made a pact to love eachother as brothers and sisters in Christ and use our relationship to love and serve God. Recently I recieved a message from a boy i know who is in the seminary asking "Have you ever considered the religious life". I thought this was a very random message so i thought "was that a sign?" But I have come to find out he asks almost everybody who goes to church that question! After that it was still bothering me. I kept hearing the word "nun" in my head. So i have been praying a lot about it, talking to people in my family and church and this discernment has led to a two week anxiety attack. I was not able to sleep or eat because i physically could not. I was not my bubbly and loving self. I also let my grades hit rock bottom. I was not living! So many people I have spoke to have said maybe God is calling you to something! But you are thinking to broad. He may be asking you to be a Eucharistic Minister or even look into Missionary work. Doing these things you can serve God and be married. My desires are to grow up, get married, be a teacher, maybe do some catechism teaching, and look into missions. I just want to make sure these are not just my desires but God's desires for me. Will God give me a desire to do what he is calling me to do? Comments are much appreciated! Thank you and God bless <3

Pray to God. Ask him for his guidance. He will help you. Talk to him from your heart.

God will let you know what he wants of you. It wont be easy. The devil will also try to pull you his way! Fight the devil with prayer to God, to Our blessed Mother Mary, to Michael the Archangel and to your fav saint!

***Dear Lord, please guide this young person in her quest for a life that is pleasing and needed by you. Help her to find her true vocation and fight off any troubles pushed her way by the devil.

May your Divine Heart beat with hers as she prays to you for guidance and your Holy Spirit fill her with love and guidance.***

God Bless you

If someone has a vocation they realize it in different ways. Usually something inside them tells them that they do but it is not always clear. Sometimes the power of suggestion makes someone think that they do when the person doesn't. It is nothing to let yourself lose sleep over. Tell God often to show you His will and that you are willing to do whatever He wants. Tell Him that you do not know what His will is and that you want to know. Be resigned to whatever He tells you inside and some way somehow He will let you know. He doesn't give us flashing lights when He answers but we will know. I am a Nun myself. The married state can be just as holy as the Religious state if we strive to do Gods will.

[quote="mandy2, post:1, topic:323228"]
My desires are to grow up, get married, be a teacher, maybe do some catechism teaching, and look into missions.

[/quote]

I don't see children here. The purpose of marriage is to raise children.

[quote="JM3, post:4, topic:323228"]

[/quote]

Not always! What about those who get married knowing they can't have children?

[quote="ajecphotos, post:5, topic:323228"]
Not always! What about those who get married knowing they can't have children?

[/quote]

Intent does not negate the purpose.

So, one needs to have children if marrying?

[quote="ajecphotos, post:7, topic:323228"]
But, marriage is not just about having children.

[/quote]

CCC 1601 "The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."84

How is arguing helpful to the OP?

[/quote]

I actually realized i did not include children right after i posted!!! I do want children! I then tried editing it and it wouldn't allow me to and thank you!

[quote="mandy2, post:9, topic:323228"]
thank you!

[/quote]

You're welcome. :D

[quote="ajecphotos, post:7, topic:323228"]
So, one needs to have children if marrying?

[/quote]

Hopefully, one gets married before they have children. ;)

[quote="marver, post:3, topic:323228"]
If someone has a vocation they realize it in different ways. Usually something inside them tells them that they do but it is not always clear. Sometimes the power of suggestion makes someone think that they do when the person doesn't. It is nothing to let yourself lose sleep over. Tell God often to show you His will and that you are willing to do whatever He wants. Tell Him that you do not know what His will is and that you want to know. Be resigned to whatever He tells you inside and some way somehow He will let you know. He doesn't give us flashing lights when He answers but we will know. I am a Nun myself. The married state can be just as holy as the Religious state if we strive to do Gods will.

[/quote]

Thank you!! So when you became a Nun did you feel a desire to do so? Because I have considered it and considered it but I have no desire to do so...At the same time I want to live for God

yes, I had a desire to be a Nun but for no particular reason, like a devotion to save souls or the like, I just wanted to be one. You can live a life just as devoted to God as a wife and mother. We are all called to perfection the only difference is that a Religious makes a promise to center her attention on it. Living for God is doing His will and if you feel that you are not called to be a nun do not let the power of suggestion force you into it. You can offer every action you do, every dish you wash, every hardship you suffer, in union with His most holy Passion for souls or to make reparation for the sins of the world, etc. Being a Nun is a wonderful calling, we are the spouses of Christ, but one who does not have the calling would be miserable if they forced themselves. If you are not sure you could give it a try and see. You have a couple years before making vows.

[/quote]

Was this really necessary? :confused: You can tell just by her post that she is going to whatever God wants her to do. So do you really think that she would get married just for the pleasure and not to have kids? In my opinion, you were just trying to act like a know it all and point something out that she didn't type but was obviously meant in her post. If you weren't I'm sorry, but that is how that comment came across to me at least and probably to a lot of other people as well. Again if that was not your intent then I apologize, but just make sure you say it a little nicer next time so you don't come across this way. :D

[quote="marver, post:12, topic:323228"]
yes, I had a desire to be a Nun but for no particular reason, like a devotion to save souls or the like, I just wanted to be one. You can live a life just as devoted to God as a wife and mother. We are all called to perfection the only difference is that a Religious makes a promise to center her attention on it. Living for God is doing His will and if you feel that you are not called to be a nun do not let the power of suggestion force you into it. You can offer every action you do, every dish you wash, every hardship you suffer, in union with His most holy Passion for souls or to make reparation for the sins of the world, etc. Being a Nun is a wonderful calling, we are the spouses of Christ, but one who does not have the calling would be miserable if they forced themselves. If you are not sure you could give it a try and see. You have a couple years before making vows.

[/quote]

Well it is good to know that you did have that desire:) It is when i think of me, myself joining the religious life that is when I am filled with anxiety. I know that my boyfriend wants to lead me to Christ in our relationship and I know we are still young but if all did work out, marriage is a huge possiblity for us. I just wish I knew why I keep hearing the word "nun" or "religious life" in my head. Then again I hear the same with "married life" or "mother". Also I know God opens doors. So I do feel that God would open a door and give me the desire if I were to become a nun. But then I realize God has opened a door to a good holy relationship with my boyfriend. Thanks for all the help! :) Very appreciated!!

Yeah my mistake by not putting children! I really do want children:) That is actually why I want to become a teacher!!:slight_smile: I know you are all coming through love and thanks for all the responses!!

I would agree with the nun that wrote you as well. Be willing always to do His will whatever it is, but don't let this cause you anxiety. Our Lord wants you to want His will and do it with a cheerful heart unto Him, whatever it is. I am so blessed to hear of your desire to go to Adoration and all your willingness to grow in faith :) What a delight to hear from someone your age as I am a teacher and have seen such a lack of faith in many of our youth where I live. God will use you in many ways. Trust Him and remain true to Him always. My prayers for you. Blessings!

mlz

[quote="mlz, post:16, topic:323228"]
I would agree with the nun that wrote you as well. Be willing always to do His will whatever it is, but don't let this cause you anxiety. Our Lord wants you to want His will and do it with a cheerful heart unto Him, whatever it is. I am so blessed to hear of your desire to go to Adoration and all your willingness to grow in faith :) What a delight to hear from someone your age as I am a teacher and have seen such a lack of faith in many of our youth where I live. God will use you in many ways. Trust Him and remain true to Him always. My prayers for you. Blessings!

mlz

[/quote]

Thank you! :) Yeah I really do feel anxiety over all of this and i realize God would not want that! As a teacher, do you feel it is possible to be aware of Christ everywhere even though he is not being preached?

Returning to the original question: God wants us to do that which will bring us the greatest happiness but the greatest happiness will come from giving ourselves over totally to His will (not easy!). That said, there can often be a difference between what we think He wants for us and what He actually wants - sometimes the thing we want, and which we believe will bring us the greatest happiness, it not actually what God wants for us! So for example, you may think that being a nun would be the perfect way for you to live in the service of God but God actually wants you to be a teacher.

So how to you know? Well the short answer is prayer - not just speaking to god but listening to Him as well. signs - both positive and negative - are of course there for a reason and it's important to be attentive to them and also to what God is saying to you through them. Ultimately, it's about placing your trust in God and in His will and being patient - things happen in God's time not ours.

[quote="InThePew, post:18, topic:323228"]
Returning to the original question: God wants us to do that which will bring us the greatest happiness but the greatest happiness will come from giving ourselves over totally to His will (not easy!). That said, there can often be a difference between what we think He wants for us and what He actually wants - sometimes the thing we want, and which we believe will bring us the greatest happiness, it not actually what God wants for us! So for example, you may think that being a nun would be the perfect way for you to live in the service of God but God actually wants you to be a teacher.

So how to you know? Well the short answer is prayer - not just speaking to god but listening to Him as well. signs - both positive and negative - are of course there for a reason and it's important to be attentive to them and also to what God is saying to you through them. Ultimately, it's about placing your trust in God and in His will and being patient - things happen in God's time not ours.

[/quote]

Okay so I do pray. A LOT! And the only reason I feel that God would be calling me to be a nun is because of the fact that I hear the word "religious life" or "nun" in my head. But physically I am receiving signs that point opposite of that. My boyfriend for one! He is a great great guy and my family defenitely approves of him! Even my dad, which is hard to come by. I also always hear from people how good I am with kids and patient with them. So do you think those are signs?

[quote="mandy2, post:19, topic:323228"]
Okay so I do pray. A LOT! And the only reason I feel that God would be calling me to be a nun is because of the fact that I hear the word "religious life" or "nun" in my head. But physically I am receiving signs that point opposite of that. My boyfriend for one! He is a great great guy and my family defenitely approves of him! Even my dad, which is hard to come by. I also always hear from people how good I am with kids and patient with them. So do you think those are signs?

[/quote]

It's normal to expect that signs will point clearly one way or the other but more often than not they don't! I was going out with a girl for a number of years before I entered the seminary While these signs may seem at odds with each other, often they're there for a reason. So I would say go with the relationship for bow, be open and honest with your boyfriend about how you feel about religious life and also about him and just see where God calls you to. Also be patient (difficult I know) - things happen in God's time, not ours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.