Does God Hate Me?

Because of my constant wicked sins, at least two specific ones, I can’t shake the feeling that God utterly HATES me!!! Does He? I know I must seek confession, but something keeps telling me He hates me, that it won’t be a “true confession,” and that God dreadfully despises and hates me because of these horrid horrid sins, dark sins. I want to stop and be forgiven, but . . . if God is angry . . . well I’m frightened.

God does not hate you. In fact, He’s closer to you than you think. Those thoughts are mere deceptions of the devil. The devil wants you to turn away from God

Just trust in the Mercy of God, go to confession and strive for perfection. God is merciful wants to forgive you. God does not hate you but rather, He loves you.

I encourage you to learn about the Divine Mercy devotion and maybe read Divine Mercy in My Soul by St. Faustina. You can find some stuff about Divine Mercy in this forum and on www.marian.org

The guilt you feel is your concience letting you know that you need to seek forgiveness and absolution in the Sacrament of Confession.

The doubt you feel, and the fear of rejection from God, is satan’s way of trying to get you to despair, and to turn away from God’s mercy.

Run, don’t just walk, to confession and then to Mass and Communion…as often as you possibly can. The more graces you recieve, the easier it will be to put aside those sins.

I can think of no sin worse than one committed against a child. Yet, even those did Jesus die for. Do not make His Passion and Death be in vain where your soul is concerned.
Turn to Him, for He is waiting for you with open arms!

The greater the sin, the greater His glory when the sinner turns toward His mercy for the purpose of ammendment and conversion. Heaven will be throwing a party.

Turn to Him, Who is Mercy. He is waiting for you with open arms.

I absolutely agree with every single thing CathMass just said.

In fact, it’s worth quoting and putting vital parts in bold.

[quote=CathMass]**God does not hate you. In fact, He’s closer to you than you think. Those thoughts are mere deceptions of the devil. The devil wants you to turn away from God

Just trust in the Mercy of God, go to confession and strive for perfection. God is merciful wants to forgive you. God does not hate you but rather, He loves you.

I encourage you to learn about the Divine Mercy devotion and maybe read Divine Mercy in My Soul by St. Faustina. You can find some stuff about Divine Mercy in this forum and on www.marian.org**
[/quote]

It’s all vital.

I strongly, strongly encourage you to learn about the Divine Mercy devotion today. God does not hate you. The devil hates you, and he wants you to think God hates you. Satan is called in Scripture the accuser of the Church. Convincing people that God hates them or that they should despair is one of his most common ploys. Don’t listen to it. Please don’t. Reject it utterly and go to Confession. He wants to steal you from God but he will not succeed, praise be to the Lord :).

God is Love. He does not hate you. God is Love.

Praise be to Love.

God loves you more than any human alive does and He knows that you want to serve Him truly and have your sins wiped away in His blood. He died for you, so that your desire might come to pass.

If God forgave people like Saul, who were imprisoning and murdering Christians, and transformed them into saints of the most astounding caliber, certainly He will forgive, transform and richly bless you!

Praise be to God. He is with you, full of love and grace. He forgives you, and longs to complete that forgiveness in the Confessional, where all wrong you’ve done will be wholly obliterated.

I want to repeat again what CathMass said, about learning about the Divine Mercy devotion and perhaps beginning to practice it. Go to the Confessional and reject all such doubts and thoughts as of Satanic origin. Go swiftly to the God who loves you more than any human does.

Luke 5:32 "
“I have not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

God is love and He loves you so very much.

That “something” that is telling you that you are hated is none other than the prince of lies himself, Satan. The devil knows that “. . .The confessional steals more souls from him than exorcism takes back bodies.” (Fr. Gabriele Amorth)

Satan will tempt people to despair in order to keep them away from confession and away from accepting God’s mercy.

To say that God hates you is to call Him a liar.

Say a Hail Mary and ask the Blessed Mother for help overcoming the temptation to despair. In the meantime, here are some reminders of God’s love for you:

LORD, your love reaches to heaven; your fidelity, to the clouds. (Psalm 36:6)

How precious is your love, O God! We take refuge in the shadow of your wings. (Psalm 36:8)

O God, within your temple we ponder your steadfast love. (Psalm 48:10)

But I, like an olive tree in the house of God, trust in God’s faithful love forever. (Psalm 52:10)

But you, Lord, are a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger, most loving and true. (Psalm 86:15)

God’s love endures forever. (Said 26 times in Psalm 136).

With age-old love I have loved you; so I have kept my mercy toward you. (Jeremiah 31:3).

The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a mighty savior; He will rejoice over you with gladness, and renew you in his love, He will sing joyfully because of you. (Zephaniah 3:17).

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. (John 3:16)

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15:13)

As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. (John 15:9)

What will separate us from the love of Christ? Will anguish, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or the sword? As it is written: “For your sake we are being slain all the day; we are looked upon as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of the great love he had for us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, brought us to life with Christ (by grace you have been saved), raised us up with him, and seated us with him in the heavens in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:4-7)

So be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma. (Ephesians 5:1-2)

But when the kindness and generous love of God our savior appeared, not because of any righteous deeds we had done but because of his mercy, he saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the holy Spirit, whom he richly poured out on us through Jesus Christ our savior, so that we might be justified by his grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:4-7)

In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might have life through him. In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins. (1 John 4:9-10)

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that he may grant you in accord with the riches of his glory to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine, by the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:14-21)

That “something” which is telling you God hates you is, in fact, the devil. He wants you to think God hates you because he wants to keep you away from Confession. Satan hates God’s Mercy - so much so, in fact, that he’ll go to any means possible to keep oneself from receiving God’s Mercy (save harming the indiviual, because God will not allow His children to be harmed by the evil one).

Therefore, go to Confession despite the hatred and fear. God loves you and eagerly wishes to give you His Mercy. Trust in Him and receive His Mercy.

[size=]Is your catholic faith important to you?
Should your potential mate share your faith & values?
Looking for fellowship with other catholic singles?[/size]

Thank you all so very much!! Wow!! I can’t believe how compasionate you all are!!! :):slight_smile:

Ok.now you have to make a decision to act on these words…get reconciled with the Lord through the sacraments…offer up all your words, thoughts, and deeds for the Lord starting today. You gain strength to resist temptation by frequent reception of reconciliation and Holy Communion. Believe me, I have been there. Now I attend daily mass, and it gives me the strength to resist temptation more than you ever know. If you can’t do it daily, then at least one daily mass…Saturday, or your day off.
If that’s not possible, then make a visit before the Blessed Sacrament. Begin a prayer journal, asking God to help you though this day.

God loves you!!! He sent His only Son, not only for the saints, but for we sinners. Show Him how grateful you are, by picking up your cross of temptation, and following Him…It’s all we can try to do, each day, with each breath. You are up to it!:thumbsup:

Everyone has already given so many wonderful words of encouragement and truth. :thumbsup: I would just like to be one more person who urges you to pray the chaplet of Divine Mercy – it is such a blessing!

Here are some of my favorite parts from St. Faustina’s Diary:

(The following are all from the Diary of St. Faustina, which recalls Jesus’ words to St. Faustina for all of us:)

“I desire that priests proclaim this great mercy of Mine towards souls of sinners. Let the sinner not be afraid to approach Me…Distrust on the part of souls is tearing at My insides. The distrust of a chosen soul causes Me even greater pain; despite My inexhaustible love for them they do not trust Me. Even my death is not enough for them. Woe to the soul that abuses these [gifts].”

“In the evening, Jesus gave me the subject for meditation. At the first moment, my heart was filled with fear and joy. Then I pressed myself close to His Heart, and the fear vanished; only joy remained. I felt entirely like a child of God, and the Lord said… ‘Fear nothing…Before I made the world, I loved you with the love your heart is experiencing today and, throughout the centuries, My love will never change.’”

“…there is no way to heaven except the way of the cross. I followed it first. You must learn that it is the shortest way… I am giving you a share in those sufferings because of My special love for you and in view of the high degree of holiness I am intending for you in Heaven. A suffering soul is closer to My heart.”

From the Conversation of the Merciful God with a Despairing Soul:
Jesus: What joy fills My Heart when you return to Me. Because you are weak, I take you in My arms and carry you to the home of My Father.
Soul: (as if awakening, asks fearfully): Is it possible that there is yet mercy for me?
Jesus: There is, My child. You have a special claim on My mercy. Let it act in your poor soul; let the rays of grace enter your soul; they bring with them light, warmth, and life.
Soul: But fear fills me at the thought of my sins, and this terrible fear moves me to doubt Your goodness.
Jesus: My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does - that after so many efforts of My love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness…Tell Me all, My child, hide nothing from Me because My loving Heart, the Heart of Your Best Friend is listening to you." :heart:

God loves you so much that He died for you.

“Draw near to God, and God will draw near to you.” ~James 4:8

Praying for you now!

Yes…now take what you think of our imperfect, frail compassion and think how much more compassion Jesus has for you in that He left His glory in heaven, became man, suffered His Holy Passion (which He did not deserve to suffer) and died on the Holy Cross (which He did not deserve to die), all for your sins. Jesus is infinitely more compassionate than us all combined.

I’d recommend reading St. Faustina’s Diary, spending time in prayer in front of the Most Blessed Sacrament (exposed if possible; maybe make an hour as often as you can), and if you can meditate on the Sacred Heart of Jesus (especially if you can find a good image of it). If you look upon the Sacred Heart of Jesus, you see God’s heart bleeding and burning with love for you. I have this image in my room: azcoyote.com/images/SicDeusDilexitMundum.jpg .

You’re right. Sin offends Jesus. It causes us to lose Him and His love. But He continues to call to you, and to love you, to call you to do what pleases Him out of love for Him. You can only do that by trusting in Him entirely, in His love and mercy, and not trusting in your own power. He wants to free you from all sin. That is why He came and died for you. That is His love for you.

Go and sin no more in full confidence in Jesus’ love and strength. Trust in Him and don’t live in the guilt of past, already forgiven, sins.

Pax Christi tecum.

Hi Darkwarrior

For what it’s worth I will echo what everyone else here has said, and add that - If God truly hated you - you wouldn’t be here to post. He would have ‘taken’ you already, and you would be in Hell.

So many times I have heard that people have downright told God - to put it politely - go fly a kite, shortly afterwords they died. Usually with a look of abject terror on their face when found.

God does Love you, unconditionally, and God* is* perfect Love therefore:

1Co 13:4 Love is always patient, Love is always kind, Love is never envious Or vaunted up with pride. Nor is she conceited,
1Co 13:5 And never is she rude, Never does she think of self Or ever get annoyed. She never is resentful,
1Co 13:6 Is never glad with sin, But always glad to side with truth, Whene’er the truth should win.
1Co 13:7 She bears up under everything, Believes the best in all, There is no limit to her hope, And never will she fall.
1Co 13:8 Love never fails…

Love also gives you chances - time after time. When we fall He encourages us to get up and try again…all we need to do is heed that Grace that we are given…and never give up on ourselves.

Peace and all that is good

John

DW, God’s love for you is infinite. His mercy is infinite. His grace is infinite. None of us are without sin, but as the old hymnal says, “God’s grace is greater than all our sin”. Trust in him today dear friend. And ask God to rebuke the Devil from you and show him to be the liar that he is. You are loved by God.

May God bless you and comfort you today!

Peace…

MW

Jesus said, “He who comes to Me I will never cast out.”

Who are you going to believe–your own feelings of sinfulness or Jesus?

This is simply the devil trying to get you to despair of God’s mercy.

I’m going to go to confession this Saturday. I have a mental illness, so it’s hard to explain my sins to the priest, it’s OCD, I always feel like “what if I didn’t say this? What if I didn’t say that?” Or “did I say it right? Did I explain EVERYTHINGT in every precise detail? What if not? am I not forgiven???”

I’m very obsessive and sruplous like that that it affects my entire confession. I remember last year, going to confess the SAME sin a week later because I didn’t think I said it PERFECTLY!!! All it does is frustrate me so much that I fll away from God, as I did.

So please pray that I will please my Lord.

I have to live with my OCD and someties I get angry at God, but there’s nothing i can do about it. I love Him with all my heart, i just wish i wasn’t so mentaly sick all the time. Everyday, every single day there is a war going on inside my head, i just wish, i just wish i could curl up by God’s feet and go to sleep. i wish i had someone to commune with personaly, i have no one. i am always alone with faith.

I am thinking of starting a prayer journal though…

thank you all so very much.

Will keep you in my prayers…God Bless you (and I know he will)…

Hi, DW. God is love. God doesn’t hate people. Re confession and your OCD, it’s advisable (and a great kindness to the priest) if you tell him - after Bless me, Father, etc. - that you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. Why? So he will know that you struggle with scrupulousity as well as other things. THEN confess your sins. Mentioning your illness to the priest will ease communication for both of you.

Hi DW…I too suffer a mental illness - Bipolar Disorder. If I am going to Confession to a priest who does not know me well, I always begin my Confession with telling Father that I suffer Bipolar Disorder (also that I am vowed privately to the evangelical counsels). Both these matters - mental illness and private vows - gives Father a fuller understanding. This will put him fully in the picture and if he has any questions connected to your Confession, he will ask them…also any advice he gives you will also flow from his understanding that you do suffer a mental illness.
All you have mentioned in your post above can be mentioned to Father in Confession - this really puts him in the picture of where you are at. If it is helpful, jot down your points on a piece of paper so you don’t forget - this is something I also use at times.
Confession is not only the place for the forgiveness of sins, but for spiritual direction/advice also.

Blessings and regards…Barb:)

I too am suffering from a mental illness - Bi-Polar disorder, and to a lesser extent OCD, so I understand. Remember - God already knows what you have done, so all you need to do is outline the sin - “I did X, 7 times, or once or whatever”…then add any mitigating circumstances…which would be the mental illness you are dealing with, along with anything else that prompted what you’ve done.

What you tell the Priest determines what your Penance to be, as well as being a humbling experience for our own good. You are already punishing yourself, don’t make it any worse. God Knows already, and He understands more fully than even we do I think, why we did what we did.

He is drawing you to Him…accept this grace, and just be humble.

I will pray for you also

Peace

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.