Does God hate unrepentant sinners?

Tell me, does God hate unrepentant sinners. Is there a official stance in the church on this? Can you have the opinion God hates or loves unrepentant sinners? Also, give me your reasoning why you believe, God hates/loves unrepentant sinners.

Doesn’t scripture say that God loves us all?

This seems more like an excuse to be uncharitable to such people, yet what does the Lord Jesus Christ say?
***Matthew 5:[43] "You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
[44] But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
[45] so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
[46] For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
[47] And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
[48] You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. ******

Romans 5

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoiced in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Jon

As noted above, God loves ALL of us, even when we are in a state of unrepentance. It is sin that He hates, but the sinners He loves.

It’s a bit peessimistic, don’t you think, to refer to someone as “unrepentant sinner”? Aren’t we all in some state of unrepentance every single time we choose to sin? You might look at it from a different point of view: “sinners who have not yet repented”. Until we actually die, I think that would be a more appropriate way of looking at it, dont’ you agree? Being truly unrepentant, as a label, so to speak, would not apply until we have died and can no longer repent.

No, God doesn’t “hate” unrepentant sinners.

It would make no sense for him to create people, create “sin”, create free will, create people with brains that think differently on what a “sin” is or is not, create different religions, say He loves us, say he’s all-knowing and omnipotent and knows all that will happen…and then…hate us for being independent within a plan that he himself set-up.

God is Love and loves all of us with an equal, total, and unconditional Love. Hate is the absence of love. Therefore, God does not and will not hate anyone, even unrepentant sinners. The only thing that God hates is sin.

I don’t think God hates unrepentant sinners. He hates the sin but not the unrepentant sinner.

God does not hate. He is more concerned for those who need healing than for those who do not. That means He cannot hate but love. Jesus told St. Maria Faustina, the greater the sinner the more right that sinner has to His Mercy. There is no hate in God. He may well be displeased with your behaviour yet He longs for your salvation. Remember that love also corrects and our Lord may give you more correction so to help you to understand your high calling that He is searching in you. Remember there is more joy in Heaven when any sinner repents. Certainly this joy does not come from anyone who can hate. The sinner may have hate but never God. Only a loving God has the patience to wait and to help when we need to recover.

No, He does not. Anyone God did not love would not exist (every good, even existence, is a free gift from God). It would, I think, be more accurate to say that unrepentant sinners, in some way and to some extent, hate God, and that God will not force them to enter into communion with Someone they hate.

God even loves Satan: catholic.com/quickquestions/if-god-loves-all-his-creatures-then-doesnt-he-love-satan

catholic.com/video/does-god-love-lucifer

blog.adw.org/2011/02/does-god-love-the-souls-in-hell-then-why-do-they-suffer/

If God hates unrepentant sinners, he hates us all, because until we are convicted of our sin by the Holy Spirit and conscience we are all unrepentant at some time or another. This is a logical impossibility, because God is love. It is an ontological argument that has no beginning or end, and no amount of “proof texting” will resolve it. Rather, the forces of evil will try earnestly to convince the sinner that no amount of repentance will ever be sufficient, thereby trapping the sinner in cycles of sin.

Rejoice with the Psalmist, who foreshadowed the sacrifice of the cross. No love could be greater. Come now, let us reason together. Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be made white as snow.

Scripture tells us that God IS Love - so how can he then hate his creation?
God might be saddened - sorrowful - over unrepentant sinners, but I do not believe he hates them.
Consider this - We believe that God stands ready to forgive the moment the sinner repents. Does one who “hates” the sinner stand ready to immediately forgive?

Just my thoughts…

Peace
James

The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Matthew 18:12-14
"What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep,
and one of them has gone astray,
does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains
and go and search for the one that is straying?
[size=]"If it turns out that he finds it,
truly I say to you,
he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine
which have not gone astray.
[/size]
"So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven
that one of these little ones perish.

As has been stated, He loves everyone. But He is also just, and therefore He allows those who walk away from Him to experience the consequences of their actions.

Tell me my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. What about the verse in scripture which states Romans 9:13 [NASB] “As it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated”. How can one defend God loves all with this statement?
Also with these two other verses as well.
Psalms 5:5 and 11:5.

We are a New Testament people! The Old Testament was inspired as well as the New, but our focus is on the Good News of Christ. He directed that we love our neighbors, love our enemies, love with our whole heart.

Jesus gave us His good and perfect example and He died for it! He ate with tax collectors, spoke to prostitutes, healed the lepers and visited Gentiles and Samaritans. He urged us to love everyone, but especially those most in need of that love.

From NABRE:

• [9:13] The literal rendering, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated,” suggests an attitude of divine hostility that is not implied in Paul’s statement. In Semitic usage “hate” means to love less; cf. Lk 14:26 with Mt 10:37. Israel’s unbelief reflects the mystery of the divine election that is always operative within it. Mere natural descent from Abraham does not ensure the full possession of the divine gifts; it is God’s sovereign prerogative to bestow this fullness upon, or to withhold it from, whomsoever he wishes; cf. Mt 3:9; Jn 8:39. The choice of Jacob over Esau is a case in point.

chefmomster2 gave an excellent reply. I will simply add that our limited human language is often not adequate to convey all that needs conveyed.
The writers of the OT used language that made the most sense to them and their readers at that time. The Holy Spirit permitted it in order to communicate effectively to that audience.

But as chefmomster says above…we are a NT people. God has reveled himself much more fully to us and spoken more plainly.

Just my 2 cents…

Peace
James

Alrightie then. I am a funny fish in this sea here at CAF. I’m the one who brought up the topic of God’s supposedly “unconditional” love and had a real hard time convincing anyone that God really does have hatred for persons and things evil. So, I hope this conversation develops and blooms into another healthy debate about the divine attributes of God, unconditional being lacking in that list.

As for someone wholesalely tossing the Old Testament in favor of being a “New Testament people,” I wonder does she cover her ears at Church when they read the reading from the Old Testament and refrain from repeating any Psalms or their Antiphons? Really. The question is valid and there are Scriptural references to God’s hatred. The WHOLE BIBLE IS SACRED, not just the New Testament. It’s words document the portion of Salvation History that brought the Messiah. If anything in that entire history didn’t happen, He wouldn’t have come. It all counts. So do not discount the Old Testament. There is much for the making of a good Christian in those pages and as St. Paul said to Timothy when he was referring to Scripture being good for teaching and refuting and all good works, etc, you know the line, the one the Sola Scripturists use to say the Bible is the only source of Salvation, that one? Well, St Paul was reminding the Christians of that day that they weren’t to reject the Old Testament, although that isn’t exactly what it was called then. So, don’t discount those words because they fly in the face of the God of Hallmark cards who loves everyone!

Glenda

Sorry if I or anyone gave the impression that we should toss the OT…It was not my intention…But we should read the OT in light of the NT, wouldn’t you agree?

Also - since “God’s ways are not man’s ways” and God is so far above us - might it not be fair to say that ANY attempt at ascribing human attributes to God is at best only shadows of what God truly is?

Just some thoughts…

Peace
James

Yes it’s not appropriate to speak of God hating anyone. I would even say that the statement God hates sin is probably not even appropriate to say at least from our human point of view. He has anger and wrath towards us but that is also a product of His love. They are meant for our correction. He always deals with us according to His mercy.

Wow! I must say I don’t even recognize what I said from your description. Yikes!

First, I mentioned in the very first sentence of my response that the OT is equally inspired. That means it is absolutely valid and infallible. It is exceptionally beautiful and I am particularly fond of Psalms. Nowhere do I say anything to belittle the importance of the OT.

That being said, I stand by the fact that we are a New Testament people, living out the New Covenant based upon the Good News of Christ. The Old Testament was a precursor of the New. It is a story of God’s preparation of His people. He was readying them for the arrival of His Son. It is to be interpreted in this light in addition to its own unique value,

The Old Testament

121 The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value,92 for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.

122 Indeed, **“the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men.”**93 "Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional,"94 the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings "are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way."95

123 Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism).

The New Testament

124 "The Word of God, which is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, is set forth and displays its power in a most wonderful way in the writings of the New Testament"96 which hand on the ultimate truth of God’s Revelation. Their central object is Jesus Christ, God’s incarnate Son: his acts, teachings, Passion and glorification, and his Church’s beginnings under the Spirit’s guidance.97

125 The Gospels are the heart of all the Scriptures “because they are our principal source for the life and teaching of the Incarnate Word, our Savior”.98

The question is valid and there are Scriptural references to God’s hatred.

Yes, it is valid. Yes, there are references to God’s hatred. But, we must read scripture in the light of the times in which it was written, the genre of the writing, the full context within scripture, and the intended message.

If you read the note from the NABRE which I included in my post, you will see that the Semitic use of the word “hate”, is different from our usage of the word. In their case it meant “less loved”. In the reading from Romans which was referenced, it expresses that God preferred Jacob over Esau. This was unique because Esau was the eldest and culturally “should have been” the favored one according to their traditions. It reminds us that God’s ways are not our ways.

Here is a related verse from the OT:
Malachi1:3
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?—oracle of the LORD.
I loved Jacob, but rejected Esau;
I made his mountains a waste,
his heritage a desert for jackals.

So, don’t discount those words because they fly in the face of the God of Hallmark cards who loves everyone!

I truly don’t. The Old Testament is essential to our understanding of the New. But both are focused towards the great gift of God’s Son and the Good News.

I agree that it’s an incorrect reading of scripture to view God as loving to the exclusion of the teachings of God’s justice. We must always be mindful that God’s mercy is only one aspect of His love for us. Justice is another. This understanding is necessary to inspire us with the very necessary “Fear of the Lord” so that we might work to become more and more an imitation of His Son.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.