Does God Hate?

I know “God loves everyone” and “God loves the sinner, hates the sin” are popular slogans, but I want to know what the RCC says on the subject. Does God hate people?

“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him,” (John 3:36).

Psalm 11:5, “The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates.”

Prov. 6:16-19, “There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil,
19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers.”

“Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue,
for I am suffering torment in these flames.” [Lk. 16:24]

“But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness,
but is guilty of an everlasting sin.” [Mark 3:29]

"Learn then that I, I alone, am God, and there is no god besides me. It is I who bring both death and life, I who inflict wounds and heal them, and from my hand there is no rescue. "To the heavens I raise my hand and swear: As surely as I live forever, I will sharpen my flashing sword, and my hand shall lay hold of my quiver. “With vengeance I will repay my foes and requite those who hate me.” " [Dt. 32:39-41]

“Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, LORD, faithful God. You hate those who serve worthless idols, but I trust in the LORD.” [Ps. 31:5-6]

“Your throne, O God, stands forever and ever; and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom. You {Jesus} loved justice and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, anointed you with the oil of gladness above your companions”; [Heb. 1:8-9]

“Abominable wickedness the LORD hates, he does not let it befall those who fear him. When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice.” [Sir.{AKA: Ecclesiasticus} 15:13-14]

“But this is the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, vengeance on his foes! — The sword devours, is sated, drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts holds a slaughter feast” [Jer. 46:10]

Grace and Peace,

Define what you mean by hate…

In ancient philosophy ideas like ‘love’ and ‘hate’ meant different things to our modern understanding of an emotional repulsion toward something. Are you asking us if we think the Almighty should be understood anthropomorphically? Are you asking us if we think God actually weeps, gets frustrated, pounds his fists on the arms of his heavenly throne? That kind of think? :shrug:

Hi jq,

God is unchangeable. He has no emotions. Emotion (which has a physical component) does not have to be present in love. The life of the Holy Trinity is a community of love and that love is reflected in the creation, since everythng that exists is a reflection of a quality in God.

God does not hate, in the emotional sense that we usually understand it. God can be said to hate anything that does not jive with his purpose. He “hates” (rejects) sin, because it goes against his purpose.

The Bible ascribes to God many human emotions : anger, jealousy, regret etc. This language is analogical : if God were human, this is how he would react.

Verbum

Clear and concise. Wonderful job Verbum. God Bless you.

Hi Chris,

Thank you. It is nice to realize that someone actually read your post. Most of the people to whom I give a direct answer don’t ever bother acknowledging it. They consult us like an encyclopedia, not as members of a “forum”.

Verbum

Hates the SIN, loves the SINNER??? That is what I have been taught. Although many times for fallible me, I find it hard not to really really dislike and be impatient with an obsitnate person who should know better. :blush:

What makes you think the Catholic Church would teach HATE? I have never seen it, or heard it from a priest, sister, Bishop and I have been around a long time.

No, God does not hate.
God is love.
What purpose would be served by God hating that could not be served absent hate?

We know from Scripture that God is love, and we also know that God hates sin. For me, those are both expressions of the same idea. Because God is love, he hates sin. Sin is an absence of love and anathema to God.

As a person gives them over to sin, they become anathema to God as well, until they are in hell, and there is no love left in them (love=life, and in hell, there is no life). I would say those in hell are hated by God, but not in the way we imagine hate. It would be more like they choose to make themselves hateful to God. If you are still living, you still have love and life in you, and your life by definition is loved by God.

Just read the Hebrew bible for say, an hour.
Hate is not the same for God as it is for us.
But, its the only word that we can use because we are limited as humans.
Words can trip people up.

Point well taken. I’m probably guilty of that too. It is nice when someone responds. Makes you feel *REAL. *:smiley: Like the Velveteen Bunny. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.