Does God have a sense of humor?

In reading the New Testament I don’t see much humor. There are incidences in the Old Testament which might be considered humourous, however dark. Children mocking a prophet and then being eaten by two bears is somewhat humorous, albeit darkly, as is when King David collecting the foreskins of dead enemy soldiers. But where is God the omni-humorous?

I’m really concerned because I like humor a lot, and I employ it as much as I can. I’m just really afraid that when I go before God in judgment I will find him serious, lackluster and harsh–like some judge. I’m afraid that he’ll find most of the humour that comes out of my lips as obscene, blasphemous and damning. :crying:

Can anyone give me some reasons to believe why God is really funny in a pleasant, chummy way, and why I shouldn’t be so worried about offending God with my humor and lack of seriousness? Thanks! :yup:

[quote=Madaglan]In reading the New Testament I don’t see much humor. There are incidences in the Old Testament which might be considered humourous, however dark. Children mocking a prophet and then being eaten by two bears is somewhat humorous, albeit darkly, as is when King David collecting the foreskins of dead enemy soldiers. But where is God the omni-humorous?

I’m really concerned because I like humor a lot, and I employ it as much as I can. I’m just really afraid that when I go before God in judgment I will find him serious, lackluster and harsh–like some federal judge. I’m afraid that he’ll find most of the humour that comes out of my lips as obscene, blasphemous and damning. :crying:

Can anyone give me some reasons to believe why God is really funny in a pleasant, chummy way, and why I shouldn’t be so worried about offending God with my humor and lack of seriousness? Thanks! :yup:
[/quote]

Look in the mirror and ask that question again… :smiley:

…just funnin…maybe! :thumbsup:

Well…I’m sure he has a sense of humor, he did create laughter.

While this is not directly humor, I am sure he laughs at some people, in a very loving way of course.

No, it’s one of those things He’s above. He has joy, though.

I think God has Joy, not humor. He’s above a sense of humor, which is probably more of a coping mechanism. God doesn’t have to cope.

Did you ever see a platypus?

I have always thought Jesus showed a wry sense of humor in the following episode from John 8:

But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them.
Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle.
They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery.
Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?"
They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger.
4 But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
Again he bent down and wrote on the ground.
And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him.
**Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” **
She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more.”

I think Jesus’ sense of humor was evident in the exchange with his disciples that didn’t recognize him on the road to Emmaus after his Resurrection. The disciples were talking about the recent happenings, and Jesus said, “What things”?

I have thought about this also, but the most important conclusion that I came to was that while God may or may not have a sense of humor, He definitely gave us the ability to have one.

[quote=Madaglan]In reading the New Testament I don’t see much humor. There are incidences in the Old Testament which might be considered humourous, however dark. Children mocking a prophet and then being eaten by two bears is somewhat humorous, albeit darkly, as is when King David collecting the foreskins of dead enemy soldiers. But where is God the omni-humorous?

I’m really concerned because I like humor a lot, and I employ it as much as I can. I’m just really afraid that when I go before God in judgment I will find him serious, lackluster and harsh–like some judge. I’m afraid that he’ll find most of the humour that comes out of my lips as obscene, blasphemous and damning. :crying:

[/quote]

Theologically speaking God cannot have a sense of humor. If something were to move God to laughter, then humor would be the mover of God and God would no longer be the Prime Mover.

I like pizza a lot. But that isn’t blasphemous anymore than finding something funny is. God did not create us divine. He created us human, with hunger and humor. Laugh all you want.

[quote=BloodandFire]Well…I’m sure he has a sense of humor, he did create laughter.

While this is not directly humor, I am sure he laughs at some people, in a very loving way of course.
[/quote]

God also created sex.

[quote=ICXCNIKA]Theologically speaking God cannot have a sense of humor. If something were to move God to laughter, then humor would be the mover of God and God would no longer be the Prime Mover.

I like pizza a lot. But that isn’t blasphemous anymore than finding something funny is. God did not create us divine. He created us human, with hunger and humor. Laugh all you want.
[/quote]

Ps. 2:4–He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The Lord shall hold them in derision.

DaveBj

I have heard God laugh at me, as I attempt to place worldly thing in to His way. That that is more important!!! He has a way of showing me how ridiculous these efforts are.

Originally quoted by ICXCNIKA:

Theologically speaking God cannot have a sense of humor. If something were to move God to laughter, then humor would be the mover of God and God would no longer be the Prime Mover.

I’m not sure if that logical model effectively demonstrates that God does not have a sense of humor. Compare with the statement:

Theologically speaking God cannot have a sense of mercy. If something were to move God to merciful action, then mercy would be the mover of God and God would no be the Prime Mover.

sense of humor – leads to --> laughter
sense of mercy – leads to --> merciful action

While I completely agree with the part of your model which acknowledges that nothing can “move” God, that is, in the sense of forcing Him into an action, I’m not sure if I agree with your logical example which you claim demonstrates that God does not have a sense of humor.

We know throughout the Bible that God is merciful and that he does merciful actions. Therefore, the fact that I can create a statement paralelling yours and only different in that it is based on a sense of mercy (which God clearly has) shows that your model (as it now stands) does not work in demonstrating that God does not have a sense of humor. (However, you do aptly show that God cannot be “moved” to action.)

Anyhow, that’s the way I see the logic. If you see any flaws in my logic, please point them out. Sorry if I sounded too blunt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coolness. It says on your profile that you teach English at the high school level. I’m two months from acquiring my B.A. in English Literature. :slight_smile:

I do believe God is in a state of unending joy, though it is beyond our comprehension to even grasp it. Humor? That we don’t know.

Gerry :slight_smile:

i believe He does have a sense of humor. i tell Him jokes all the time. of course, He already knows the punch line. but i think He enjoys my telling Him, kind of like i enjoy little kids telling me jokes i’ve already heard…

I absolutely know that when Jesus said “render to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s” that he had a huge inner grin and probably felt something to the effect of “hahaha…take that!” I don’t mean that at all in an egotistical sense. I think anyone that possesses logic can readily identify humor.

For instance, a great deal of humor comes from irony. God as the omniscient being would know everything ironic that is going on. How many times in movies do we laugh at something that is ironic because the characters don’t know the full story. If anyone knows the full story, it’s God.

To the poster that noted the platypus I would say, true that! I think we should also note the kangaroo and the chihuahua (though I suppose some could argue the chihuahua is a product of artificial selection…).

Also, the argument about it not being possible for God to know humor because he is the Prime Mover doesn’t quite work also in the context of the Incarnation. Jesus has known grief and, by the same token, humor.

[/quote]

Hi Madaglan,
Good post.
Firstly we are made in God’s image. When I first read about God’s grief and tears and sadness and crying, I thought how strange that God should cry and grieve and be wrought with sadness etc and then I realised Hey it is not surprising that He has these qualities but more to the point it is surprising that we have these emotions… We have these qualities because we are made in His image.
God is not a block of love that is impervious to feelings. He feels so much more that we do for we are only a shadow of His Self.
Now a direct answer. If you play games and invite the Holy Spirit in He will help you and cause a riot. eg our group in Thailand were playing that childs game, Poor Pussy where one kneels in front of a seated person and meows. After the meow the seated person has to pat the kneeling person and say Poor Pussy. If the seated person laughs the pussy’s team wins. If the seated person doesnt laugh his team wins: and another two combatants are chosen. So the thrust of the game is to laugh or not laugh. When I went up as a pussy, I wanted to make a small plaintive noise as some of the previous meows were loud and like shock tactics. We had to hold a microphone at the same time. Well I let out a small plaintive sound and it was far to soft and the mike was too far away so it was almost a meow to myself. Then the Holy Spirit took over and the man was laughing his head off. When I got back to my seat my wife asked me if I was alright. LOL she thought I was sick or something. It was a great meow, but not from me. Of course I was surprised as I was not expecting Him to help me in fun like this.
He provides ALL things. I think we fail to realise how much ALL means. And on being shown , shrink back again, thinking we should not trouble Him with such a small or seemingly trivial matter. We always need to remind ourselves how much He wants to be involved in our life and how much He loves us.
I even invite Him into my sex life. He still loves me and showers me with the truth which I regard as Christ.
So feel free to enjoy your humor with God and know He Wants you to share your humor with Him too. Dont exclude Him from any aspect of your life. When you have the Holy Spirit helping with your joke telling, your timing and delivery will be perfection.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG

Of course he had a sense of humor… Look at the people He picked to be His disciples…

Fishermen who could not catch anything unless He told them where to fish…

From 1 Corinthians 1:
"27 Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong, 28 and God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something, "
That takes a sense of humor!

In Christ,
Pisio

[quote=ICXCNIKA]Theologically speaking God cannot have a sense of humor. If something were to move God to laughter, then humor would be the mover of God and God would no longer be the Prime Mover.

[/quote]

Interesting argument. God cannot be moved but He moves, although I would rather take the position that perhaps God’s sense of humor, even if He does have such, would be quite incomprehensible to us as well. :smiley:

Gerry :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.