Does God hear our prayers when we're in a state of mortal sin?

Hi everyone. Does God hear our prayers when we’re in a state of mortal sin? :confused:

Yes.

Yes. Yes, He does.

Otherwise, how could we possibly repent?

I wondered that myself but I figured that maybe He only hears prayers of repentance when we’re in a state of mortal sin. Now for another question, does God answer our prayers when we’re in a state of mortal sin other than to cleanse us from repenting? :confused:

I read somewhere that, while in a state of mortal sin, our actions cannot be meritorious. I take that to mean that things like fasting, prayer, acts of charity, and the like do nothing to bring grace into our lives or the lives of others due to the lack of sanctifying grace.

So, I suppose the best unresearched answer to your questions would be yes, God hears the prayers, but they are not efficacious unless they are prayers of contrition in the confessional (or prayers of perfect contrition outside of it).

Eh?

Peace,
Dante

God always hears our prayers. And especially if we are in mortal sin, prayer in itself is the beginning of repentance.

I think Scripture says in Roman 5:20-21 states it all.

"Law came in, to increase the trespass; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

St. Faustina’s Diary on Divine Mercy Jesus said,

"The greater the sinner, the greater the right he has to My mercy (Diary, 723)

Get out of that state of mortal sin, and it will be irrelevant. Go to confession, and confess that you told some girl on a Catholic message board that it would be fine for her to get naked for her boyfriend, because that post was a sin in itself.

I second that advise.

I disagree - remember that every Catholic, mortal sin or no, is bound on pain of further mortal sin to attend Mass every sunday.

Mass is not just prayer, but the greatest prayer of all. If the prayers of the mortal sinners attending Mass were inefficacious then why the requirement to attend?

I heard recently that when one receives any of the sacraments apart from Penance and Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin that sacrament is effective but the merits and grace of it are not active or applied until the recepient is in a state of grace.

Seems that common-or-garden-variety prayer would be the same.

Wow, this is a really good scripture!

My thinking was just simple… We are still his children…

does that mean that sodomy practiced by a married couple is a sin? is that official Church teaching?

What the??? What provoked that question? It’s totally off topic, go ask it somewhere else!

Hmmm…I stand corrected, it seems.

Have you a link re: your comment on the Sacraments?

Peace,
Dante

Motion carried.

Peace,
Dante

Don’t have a link, although I’ll look in the catechism, there’s probably something to that effect there.

Isaiah 59

1Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

2But **your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. **

God will not hear the prayer of those who are ( wicked ) rebellious against Him, except for repentence:

Prov 15:8 8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight. (KJV)

Prov 15:29 29 The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous. (KJV)

Prov 28:9 9 He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination. (KJV)

John 9:31 31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. (KJV)

Yet God heard the prayer of one sinner: Acts 10:1-6 1

www.gsbcweb.org/prayernoanswer.htm

1. Wickedness can cause God to refuse to hear prayer. Proverbs 28:9 states, “He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.” However, this closing of the ears of the Lord is not limited to the lost. The psalmist said, “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me” (Psalm 66:1 . This psalmist obviously knows the Lord but recognizes the hindrance that sin can make in receiving answers to prayer. A couple of verses later, the psalmist blesses God, “which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me” (Psalm 66:20). God is certainly not required to hear the prayers of those who reject His way.

www.learnthebible.org/q_a…e_lost.htm

C) Conversely, the Bible makes it equally clear that God will not hear the prayers of ANYONE who…

Does not repent – Lives a life of persistent sinning. Is unrepentant. Does not regret his or her sins. Has no desire to desist from those sins. (Ps 66.18, Pr 15.29)
Rejects the truth – Has heard the truth of the gospel, and has persisted in rejecting that truth. (Rom 1.25, 1.28; 2 Thes 2.10-12)
Doubts that God exists – Does not come to God in the steadfast belief that He exists. (Heb 11.6)
The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous. Pr 15.29

…because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie. 2 Thes 2.10b-11

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Heb 11.6b

www.biblebell.org/mbag/ma…l#john14.6

www.google.com/search?hl=…the+wicked

Do catholics think those in a state of mortal sin, have lost their salvation? Or at what point do catholics believes one has lost their salvation?

Yes we believe those who committ mortal sin have lost their salvation, although repentance and confession restore one’s relationship with God.

Mortal sin is that which is serious enough to condemn you. Literally deadly (mortal) for the soul, the ‘sin unto death’ as St John says in his letter.

We believe that mortal sin (grave matter done with full knowledge and full consent) places us in jeopardy of losing our salvation. However, because we are not God, we make no presumption of absolute knowledge on how God will apply Divine Mercy relative to Divine Justice.

This question relates to my greatest problem about OSAS. It belies an attitude on the ultimate perogative of God (who gains salvation) that we mortals have a say in the matter or omniscience with regard to the state of a soul. It is truly an amazing arrogance that borders on the greatest sin of all- Making one a god equal to God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.